Book Review: Motorcycling Montana

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'll start this in the Parts and Accessories section for lack of a better place...

Motorcycling Montana

First Edition

Comprehensive Guide to Riding the Big Sky

By Cole D. Boehler Author and Publisher (aka FJRforum member Big Sky)

Published by: Continental Communications, Butte Montana

Purchase price $34.95 plus shipping.

100_3929.jpg

I have always had a strong yearning to ride and explore some of the wide open spaces of the Western US on motorcycle, with one of the bigger draws being touring in and around the national parks of Montana, Yellowstone and Glacier. So naturally when I caught wind of this guide book I had to get myself a copy.

The book is quite a substantial offering. It is a handy 51/2" x 81/2" page format, convenient size for stashing in a saddle or tank bag, with a 11/2" plastic spiral wound binding of 488 pages plus fold out sectional dividers. The guide is printed on heavy gauge glossy paper stock with heavier card gauge stock outside pages and dividers, all with high resolution photos and maps throughout. It is shipped with a copy of the Montana Official State Highway Map as a reference.

The book is divided into the six major geographical sections of the state: Glacier Country, Russell Country, Missouri River Country, Custer Country, Yellowstone Country and Gold West Country. Each "Country" section has an overview map (on the handy foldout divider) and an overview of what to expect in that region, along with some background info about the people, places, demographics, history and modern day conditions of the area. Then various possible touring routes are laid out, including highlighted map insets, along with the author's own insights and experiences along those routes. At the end of each section a small area is provided for you to make your own notes.

The book is not just your usual tour guide, nor just a collection of one guy's ride reports through the regions, but rather it is a seamless combination of the two. The insights of a fellow rider who has lived, ridden and written about these roads for decades is an invaluable asset to a potential visitor. No doubt, it will help avoid the possible pitfalls, avoiding tourist traffic and boring highways in favor of the local gold nuggets of the secondary highways, byways and local roads and help you be more prepared for conditions and climate when you do make that memorable road trip.

Though the book is written as a guide book, I read it from cover to cover for the entertainment. I particularly enjoyed the sections about riding in and around Glacier Country, Yellowstone, and of course the famous routes over Chief Joseph pass and the Beartooth Highway. Knowing more about these great rides will make trip planning a breeze, and even more enjoyable when I get out there.

Scattered throughout the guide are advertisements from various establishments located along the route or region who cater to the needs of the traveling motorcyclist, which sure seems like would be a great resource to have along when out on the road.

The high resolution photography is all top notch in my esteem, and has me salivating, anxious to get out and experience the Big Sky Country more than ever. I would highly recommend getting yourself a copy to bring along if you'll be headed that way any time soon, or even just to join me in dreaming of the day.

Although it may sound otherwise, I have no affiliation to the author or publisher other than knowing him through the forum. I purchased my copy from him directly (from the web site linked to above) with no strings attached. I just think he has done a fantastic job in sharing his insider perspective on his home state with his fellow two wheelers, and wanted to share the opportunity with anyone else who might be headed that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having toured much of the left coast I put the National Parks in Utah ahead of Glacier and Jellystone. Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon are awesome and Hwy 12 in Utah simply stunning. Disclaimer - living in the wet green and mountainous Pacific Northwet it is not hard to understand why I like riding around in the arid Red Rock areas of Utah.

Good information and thanks for sharing.

Looks like a very interesting book - Thanks for posting, Fred!

Do you have any of the "Destination Highways" books and if so how would you say it compares to those?

I have the BC and WA books from DH and think they're pretty damn good - as an Albertan this one would probably be a great addition to the library!

Dang it Fred, the other day you screwed me out fo 45 minutes when you posted up a link to a oil filter video and today you cost me $45.00 on a book. I'm riding Montana in July and it should come in handy.

Your KILLING me here Fred!

Having toured much of the left coast I put the National Parks in Utah ahead of Glacier and Jellystone. Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon are awesome and Hwy 12 in Utah simply stunning. Disclaimer - living in the wet green and mountainous Pacific Northwet it is not hard to understand why I like riding around in the arid Red Rock areas of Utah.
Good information and thanks for sharing.
Since doing those points last summer on a 28 day, 7500 mile ride I have to say they were a awesome sight. What a awe inspiring ride and sights. And a hike into the Gran Canyon was all that and a bag of chips with salsa too!
However I would do another 28 days doing the rides from this mentioned book. It too looks awesome.

Thanks Fred, very timely post.

I didn't know about this book. It will be very useful this year as I plan on doing the Road to the Sun then heading south through Idaho, pick up some tires and bits for my moped in Sandy, Utah, then head home via Wyoming and Montana.

Al.

Edit: Ordered my copy today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered the book - awesome resource! Does anyone know of similar books for Utah/Arizona/Colorado and/or Smoky Mountains?

I have 5 riders coming up to Boise from So. Cal. the end of July.

We will head out for Kalispel and use that area for our home base and explore from there.

This book looks like a great source of information.

Thanks for the post Fred W.

Ordered the book - awesome resource! Does anyone know of similar books for Utah/Arizona/Colorado and/or Smoky Mountains?
That's a great question. I'd like to know about such a book as well. In fact, it would be nice if folks posted up reviews of other touring guides for those looking for a little help in trip planning.