Brake Pad replacements

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a set of Carbone Loraines that Gary McKoy talked me into. Haven't mounted them, but he swears they're the greatest thing since sliced bread (not that I ever thought sliced bread was great, mind you).
But I trust Gary implicitly.

OEM pads are about 50% more pricey than aftermarket - $8X for the CL fronts . . . $12X for OEM fronts.
bramfrank,

I'm in the market for some new brake pads and want to try the Carbone Loraine pads. Since Gary is not currently around I wanted to double check with you which type Gary recommended for your FJR, what the part # are and approximately how much they cost.

I've looked over the different types of CL pads and I'm guessing the ones you bought are the SBK5+ - Road, Supersport

Speigler Performance Parts lists the part #s as:

Model: FJR1300 A/AS

Year: 06-

CC: 1300cc

Front Qty: 4

Front #: 1175

Rear#: 1084

Speigler quoted me $27.95 per "card" (2 pads per card), which comes to around $140 plus shipping :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
At approx 70k I've been through oem and EBC HH on the front side. No excessive rotor wear with EBC that I can tell. Just ordered some Galfers.

Good experience here with EBC HH. 65K on my 2004 FJR, 40K of that on the EBCs.

Will switch the 2008 over to EBC HHs when the OEMs wear out.

terrysig

Question:

I'm about to install a set of EBC on my Gen 2. I was originally sent the wrong pads and as I reinstalled the old pads I managed to strip one of the slider pins heads (yes I was being lazy and didn't feel like getting my smaller torque wrench out, blah blah :dribble: ) Anyway I went to order a new pin (which retails for a whopping $29. :blink: ) and I noticed in the diagram that there's is a clip that safety locks this pin in place. None of my front caliber's slider pins have these clips installed and I swear I don't remember every removing them.. Did I some how remove and lose all 4 of these clips? :unsure: Or is this diagram wrong? It's item number 10 or 21.

216154_091223_120956_7325.png

Thanks!

Question:
I'm about to install a set of EBC on my Gen 2. I was originally sent the wrong pads and as I reinstalled the old pads I managed to strip one of the slider pins heads (yes I was being lazy and didn't feel like getting my smaller torque wrench out, blah blah :dribble: ) Anyway I went to order a new pin (which retails for a whopping $29. :blink: ) and I noticed in the diagram that there's is a clip that safety locks this pin in place. None of my front caliber's slider pins have these clips installed and I swear I don't remember every removing them.. Did I some how remove and lose all 4 of these clips? :unsure: Or is this diagram wrong? It's item number 10 or 21.

Thanks!

If its like a gen 1, (and your JUST replacing the pads) all you have to remove is the the 2 small pins visable atop the pads (these hold the main retaining pin in). Once those small pins are removed, the brake pad retaining pin (one for each side) is removed. The SS holddown/anti-rattle spring is removed (the arrow faces forward for-assembly). I then put a thin screwdriver inbetween the pads and the the disc and gently push the pistons back in to make room for the new, thicker pads. The old brake pads now just pull out the top. You shouldn't have to put a wrench on it...

Scott

Question:

Thanks!

If its like a gen 1, (and your JUST replacing the pads) all you have to remove is the the 2 small pins visable atop the pads. Once those small pins are removed, the brake pad retaining pin (one for each side) is removed. The SS holddown/anti-rattle spring is removed (the arrow faces forward for-assembly). The brake pads now just pull out the top. You shouldn't have to put a wrench on it...

Scott
Hi Scott,

These pins are actually threaded and require I believe 20 Nm (I'm guessing I don't have the manual in front of me) of torque when installed.

Hey Chris D-after reading your post I looked at my '06 and the small clips you refer to [#10 and 21] are not there-the brakes have never been touched. Any brakes I have ever worked on have had similar clips but the pins that hold the pads in place did not thread in like the ones on the FJR...

Hey Chris D-after reading your post I looked at my '06 and the small clips you refer to [#10 and 21] are not there-the brakes have never been touched. Any brakes I have ever worked on have had similar clips but the pins that hold the pads in place did not thread in like the ones on the FJR...
Thanks so much for looking!

The good thing is that I'm not totally losing my mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes: However I just ordered those 4 clips plus that slider pin and I'm now wondering what in world I will be getting. I also checked other Yamaha part sites and they all have this same diagram.

Has anyone ever ordered this slider pin?

The part numbers I ordered is:

3P6-25924-00-00 - PIN, PAD (On diagram it's item #8 or 19)

3P6-25925-00-00 - CLIP (On diagram it's item #10 or 21)

Chris,

I just checked my 04 and it has only one large pin with 2 smaller clips to keep the large one from coming out (as I posted earlier).

I just looked up on babbits so I could zoom in on your brake assembly. Its apparently very different (Gen II) with two bolts with threads in the end. It also shows the little clips on the far end. It would appear the clips are a "safety" should the main bolts get loose and backen out. I've seen these clips in the hardware store and would probably be considerably cheaper than genuine Yamaha clips.......

Hope that helps..

Scott