• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy: March 1st - March 30th 2013 (details inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for setting this up Linc.
Lorett informed me on Wednesday that they are out of the Krista brackets and my order will not ship for another week or two. Who was the lucky guy to get the last pair of Kristas??
Uh that might have been me. I ordered a set of Kristas and brackets and they were shipped to me on Thursday the 7th.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Darksiders should be on the bottom of the list...
smile.png
You must ship your kit to me and I'll send you mine when it arrives. j/k

I think I'll order their voltage kit as well. I don't want to cut too much plastic on my ride.

Remember to post a pic when you are done.

Their voltage kit? I didn't know they had one. This alleviates having to cut plastic? Uh, you mean to be able to run the wires into the fairing? Did I miss something? I've never even seen a set of these installed on an FJR in person... only on the net.

Gary

-oh, and concerning your comment about being last... at the time when I ordered them, i WAS.
smile.png

Their voltage kit? I didn't know they had one. This alleviates having to cut plastic? Uh, you mean to be able to run the wires into the fairing? Did I miss something? I've never even seen a set of these installed on an FJR in person... only on the net.

They make a darn clever one, Gary. Their own proprietary design, like all their stuff. They have one for a standard battery, and one with different circuitry in the chip for Shorei batteries. Here's a review. Just surface-mounts with double-sided tape or zip ties or something. Simple, inexpensive, and it works.

Thanks Mike, I should have said voltage sensor kit. Costs the same as the Datel and looks like you only have to drill one small hole in the panel as opposed to cutting out a larger square. I'm the guy who measures once and cuts 3 times.

Did you mount the dimmer switch to your radar detector???? I don't have one of those, but it looks like a great spot.

Digging the tether for the troller
smile.png

Thanks Pan!

Boys I have to tell you, I love those Krista! Lots of light, not sure how I would use the Erica's.

Still messing with the horn/flash setup but just WOW!

Barry, I'm just telling you - Awesome!

Did you mount the dimmer switch to your radar detector???? I don't have one of those, but it looks like a great spot.
Digging the tether for the troller
smile.png
I mounted the dimmer to the bottom of the plate that the detector sets on.

Tether works great. It's also long enough that I can throw the troller in the glove box so that it does not disappear when I away from the bike.

Thanks Pan!
Boys I have to tell you, I love those Krista! Lots of light, not sure how I would use the Erica's.

Need pictures of the Awesomeness, please. Day/Night Low/High?

the clearwater dimmer is the knob with blue line...attached with cable ties in crisscross to right side handlebar

the rotary switch with knob w/white line is the volume for the amplirider also cable tied...has 3 inputs that I have radar detector, Zumo, iPod

rocker switch with white "o" meaning off is to turn the clearwaters on/off

5945146800_8a02dd9f4b.jpg

Oh damn, forgot to call.

Then again I'm 1830 to 0700 these days..

Wonder what time they get up and open the doors?

Mine is on the left handlebar, easy to adjust while riding. I had it on one of the panels at first but it was hard to reach and in the way when you had to get the panel off (well, the wiring was). This is better. Very simple bracket to hold the knob assembly, a couple views.

l
IMG_2151.jpg

l

l
IMG_2153.jpg

Got to say, I'm really pleased to see a lot of guys taking advantage of this GB. There have been one or two others tried before, and they didn't catch on like this. I know they're pretty high cost, but now there's some history, and zero complaints coming back about failures or problems with the maker, unlike some others. This is money nobody regrets spending, once they've swallowed hard and done it.

Which reminds me, a couple more weeks left on this deal--and these outstanding prices. Carver, quit making excuses. Call on your break.

Just grabbed the Darla's and Erica's and a flashlight for good measure (way overkill probably - hope the dimmers work
rolleyes.gif
). Let there be light!

Thanks Pan!

Nope, on pictures. Barry, we will do live presentation some night.
PS: Thanks to CraigRegs. I was driving my self crazy doing the install until I found Craig's report.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/143821-clearwater-krista-install/?hl=%2Bclearwater+%2Bkrista

The 2013 should look great, but the Gen I still hangs in there with Kristas.

FJRAvatar580.jpg

In the mounting position on top of the bracket, they are forward of the cowling and mirrors and above the headlights giving a wide-spaced light pattern that IMO helps other drivers to perceive distance and closing speed.

FJRAvatar800.jpg

I posted this on YouTube quite a while ago. It shows what you'll see when you click from low to high beams and the Kristas go to full power too. The vid starts with me approaching with low beams, Kristas on minimum. Then I hit the horn and they come to full power. After I make the turn, I click on the high beams, which brings the aux lights up to full. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. At the end, I'm fiddling with the dimmer switch up and down, but it's hard to tell how whatever I'm doing is working, since I was just kind of going back and forth.

IMO, this vid shows the contrast between low beams and low power on the Kristas vs. the full monty--high beams with full Krista power--better than any other video or photo I've seen.

I do ride in town with them on all the time--minimum at night, just under half power or so in the daytime. Splitting lanes in heavy traffic, maybe a bit more. I'm not sure what the hell I'd do with all the lumens those new Erica searchlights put out. And dark empty roads, by the way, pull out all the stops.