cold weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When ice makes you put plastic on the ground, it's too cold.

There's no mechanical reason the bike can't run in freezing temps. Just don't cry when the wheels go different directions from each other and plant your face into the ice.

I live just south of DC and I have ridden all year for 2 years now...seen temps as low as 7 degrees on the dash with no problems. Intend to do the same this year. You may find she cranks a bit slower and may only get up to 2 or 3 bars on the temp gage but otherwise keep riding. I've found this bike to be a fantastic all weather machine only losing about two weeks per year to snow.

As soon as the temperatures drop to the point where black ice can form I put the bike into hibernation. Road and weather conditions being what they are in these parts makes it too easy to put me on the ground without warning. It just is not worth the risk to me.

It was -12oC (+10oF) when I went over to Tim Horton's this morning for my coffee with lots of ice on the side streets. I took my mountain bike that has studded tires.

Thanks & just checking, as I'm still rideing mine, where all the so called bikers here at work put there's away. (Even the Golding owner) & it's got heated everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always say that riding should never be an unpleasant experience.

As long as you're dressed for the conditions and having a good time

then by all means go ahead and ride.

But if I'm uncomfortably cold ( or hot ) I just assume take the car.

I'd rather drive than be miserable.

I admit it, I'm a whimp. I don't like to ride when it's below 40F or when it is above 105F (which seems to be most of the summer here in Arizona), just not fun anymore.

The bike don't care how cold it is. Here in Western Washington (the state) winter riding conditions are interesting at best with ice, freezing fog, wet roads, vegatation on the roads from leaves and pine needles, sand from sanding operations, and odd lighting condtions from blinding sun to dark shawdows due to the low angle of the sun. And that is on a sunny day. When it rains.......

When is it too cold for the FJR to ride in the winter. I'm talking bike not us riders
At what tempature does gasoline freeze? That be my guess. (somewhere a bit above absolute zero?)

If your antifreeze is good to -45 that be a good cut off point too.

I admit it, I'm a whimp. I don't like to ride when it's below 40F or when it is above 105F (which seems to be most of the summer here in Arizona), just not fun anymore.
Wow, 105F is pretty ipmressive. I get cranky at about 90F. (Okay, I'm already cranky in general, but I tend to express my crankiness more at about 90F. Shut up, Pete!) But for lows, I've seen mid 20's without any serious problems. Not sure how low I'd go.

The cold doesn't bother me all that much. I just wear more/warmer layers under the leather, a balaklava under the helmet, and crank up the heated grips.

My long, iced-up driveway is a bit discouraging, but I probably could navigate it if I really had to, and if the roads weren't salted because of the black ice... :unsure:

I'll ride as long as there isn't snow or ice on the road, and the bike will start. With my current battery, that's around 16f. As I don't have a permit to park on campus for anything but the bike, I make the wife park on the driveway if the temp will be too low to start (assuming it'll be ok at lunch), and I pull the cage into the garage when I take the bike out- she has to be at work ~1 hour after me :) .

Just remember that when ya take the bike out in really cold weather, the same battery that started the bike in the garage may not do so once you get to your destination. After the bike's been left sitting outside, starting may be a challenge. If the temp is say 25 degrees colder at the mall than it was in the garage, ya gotta ask yourself... how ya gonna get it home if it won't start?

Just a thought.

We'd hate to see ya git stranded somewhere.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator: