Concours 14 VS FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super d

Reaction score
As the proud owner of an 05 FJR and an 06 ZX-14 I must say IMHO the ZX has an incredible powerplant, handles great and I think has very good ergos. I'll have to see a ZG-14 person but I'm thinking there will be an 05 FJR for sale this summer. I just hope it eats less fuel than the ZX (34-36 MPG). Give it a ride before you decide, I think it's going to kick some butt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am considering the move from an FJR to a Concours 14 based on the preliminary information. I am curious regarding your gas mileage comment: how does the mileage of your ZX14 compare to that of your FJR in similar conditions. I had attributed the reports of poor mileage on the ZX 14 (including my brother's) to rider's inability to resist the immense power on tap, and would love to know what the ZX 14 will get at a steady 70 MPH. Thanks in advance.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion and free to choose any bike you want, but personally I tend to hold on to what I've got for extended periods of time, especially when the differences to changing would only be nominal. I think I'll hold on to the FJR for a while. No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but still think I'm on the right track, at least for me. :)

I too am considering the move from an FJR to a Concours 14 based on the preliminary information. I am curious regarding your gas mileage comment: how does the mileage of your ZX14 compare to that of your FJR in similar conditions. I had attributed the reports of poor mileage on the ZX 14 (including my brother's) to rider's inability to resist the immense power on tap, and would love to know what the ZX 14 will get at a steady 70 MPH. Thanks in advance.

Using the "average mileage/instantaneous" on the insterment panel it reads 34-36 mpg @ 70 MPH and 40-41 mpg @ 90 MPH. I have about 3500 miles on the bike and out of all the tanks of fuel I have checked I have never seen better than 37 MPG. I did a track day and REALY used a lot of fuel but that has to be expected. As far as keeping my bikes for a long time...I had my 86 Connie for 18 years, life is short, if you see something that lights your fire, I say DO IT...this is not a practice run!

My FJR is 38 lowest MPG and 46 highest.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion and free to choose any bike you want, but personally I tend to hold on to what I've got for extended periods of time, especially when the differences to changing would only be nominal. I think I'll hold on to the FJR for a while. No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but still think I'm on the right track, at least for me. :)

+1 on all of that.

I would think that one would take a bath by unloading a near new vehicle and eating that first year's depreciation. But this is coming from a middle class, working class guy's perspective.

Then there are guys who have more money than time remaining on this earth to spend it. So they go through bikes like I go through shoes. More power to them, I supose.

Then there are guys who have more money than time remaining on this earth to spend it. So they go through bikes like I go through shoes. More power to them, I suppose.
Money's part of it, but so is time. I could afford it if I needed to, but I'm not willing to blow the cash on a new bike every 1-2 years. And I definitely don't have the time to start from square one on the farkling again. It took me a year and several farkles to get the FJR just right for me. I plan to ride it until I can't stand to look at it anymore, if the fates are willing to let me.

And as for me, living in the land of the Gestapo Highway Patrol, I need another 20 HP about as much as I need another speeding ticket. Of course, for you folks in the deserted West or up in Montana, it's prolly a different story.

super d said:
Then there are guys who have more money than time remaining on this earth to spend it. So they go through bikes like I go through shoes. More power to them, I suppose.
Money's part of it, but so is time. I could afford it if I needed to, but I'm not willing to blow the cash on a new bike every 1-2 years.
Well I will be 49 in January so I hope I am not out of time yet, but I agree, I also would not buy a new bike every 1-2 years, as I did not even consider the FJR 06 models. However, after getting the ZX-14 I am thinking the ZG-14 is going to be special enough to make it worth it to me! I had my old Connie for 18 years and it took the FJR to get me to buy a new bike and it's been a great bike, but if the ZG's what I'm hoping...I'll be getting one!! In addition, I do not think I will get hurt to bad on selling the FJR, as it is a popular bike.

When I wear out my 04 FJR then I will look at the Kawa and FJR for sure. No way am I going to get one right off as the FJR is running just fine. Time will tell.

Tom

I would look at one if I were in the market for a new bike, but I haven't heard any real world data to make me choose it over another FJR.

Had made up my mind on an FJR was set to start shopping and then The 14 showed Guess I'll wait a little longer till they come out and get tested.

Mike

Isn't anyone even a little bit leery of buying a 1st model of anything. I think with few exceptions most troubles are 1st year, whether it be cars or bikes. At least that's what happened to me 3 times.

Isn't anyone even a little bit leery of buying a 1st model of anything. I think with few exceptions most troubles are 1st year, whether it be cars or bikes. At least that's what happened to me 3 times.
Don't lemon laws apply to motorcycles too?
Nobody's quite as cool as the first guy on the block to have the latest greatest.

I got to finally see the Concours at the Phoenix Cycle World show. While it looked pretty nice and had some nice features, I wasn't really "knocked-out" by it. It was perched up on a stand so you couldn't sit on it, and when I asked questions like "how much fuel does it hold?" or "how much does it weigh?", the factory rep used the same reply: "This is a prototype and the only one in the country. I can't answer those questions". I'm another who won't take a chance on a first year model just to have the latest/greatest. I've got a feeling with all the new technology on the Connie, it's gonna have issues. Got to see the burgundy colored FJR and frankly was disappointed. I'd hoped it looked better live than in the pictures. The color is different but in my opinion just as ugly. The bike was in terrible condition (heavily scratched, fingerprints, dusty) and the one pimply-faced "rep" didn't no squat about it or the new R1........... For now, I'll keep my payed for 05' thank you! B)

I'm getting a new 14. I just plain like Kawasakis - I still have my 89 ZX10 I've owned since new and have has zero problems with it. I had an 01 H-D Road Glide that worked far better for what it was designed for than anyone who's never ridden one would imagine - even hauled ass down Deal's Gap, passing a lot of bikes on it with the tunes blasting!! But, didn't ride it enough, a lot of $$ sitting there to not be riding, so I sold it spring 03 before the prices dropped. Bought an 03 KLX400, CRF150, and then an 04 ZX10 with the cash from the H-D. Still miss the cruise control & stereo, though. The 04 ZX10 was phenomenal, but too intense - I like a bigger, heavier bike, was waiting for Kawi to update the Concours (I asked a Kawi rep about it in early 05, & he told me to buy a current Concours - I told him I already have a 15 year old Kawi in my garage, I don't want to buy a 20 year old one!). Plus, I just had to have 2 ZX10s, 15 years apart. So, after keeping the 04 for 14 months and somehow managing to not get arrested, I dealt it for the FJR. I really like the FJR, have ridden it to Iowa to visit a friend a couple of times, love the shaft, bags, overall comfort. But I miss the higher RPM hit. I know it makes great power, lots ot torque, but it comes across a bit bland in that dept, at least to me. Then there's the ticker issue - I know it's supposed to have been fixed (even though according to Yamaha there was never a problem- pisses me off when manufacturers do that!!!), but it's always in the back of my mind. And, I have reached a point in life where I can afford to change bikes after a couple of years - that being said, I know what it's like to be the other way - that's originally why I kept my 89 ZX10 so long - for 12 years I literally could not afford to buy anything else! Now, it's part of the family - had it longer than my kids!! So, I'm going to make the change - try something new, get back on a big-bore Kawi, just because I can, I guess. Believe me, I've thought about depreciation loss, etc., but I've also decided "Screw it, I'm going to do it because it's what I want to do." Because I can, I guess. Anyway, that's all I've got to say about that.

Typical pre-release model hype. Every new bike is the next coming. My FJR puts out a solid 130hp to the rear wheel (as does the collective yours) 20-30 more hp isn't going to matter all that much to the target audience. Not to me anyway. If I wanted more power, I wouldn't settle for 150. I'd cut straight to the chase and buy the ZX14. I've had a Hayabusa, a 136hp Bandit 1200, and a CBR1100XX. I picked the FJR1300 because I liked the features, I liked the comfort, and I liked the looks. The power aspect was a nice bonus but it's still slower than the supersport 600s out today. We ain't buying these bikes for the straight line performance of them. I am glad kawasaki is joining the ranks and retiring the "new for 1986" concours. We get more choices now. That's never bad. I couldn't fathom taking the hit on selling my 05 to buy a new 07 Concours. Then again, love is sometimes a hard thing to equate when using dollars and cents.