Considering another FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Steve

Reaction score
G'day gang,

Well, Friday has been and gone...so no dogpile required here. :assassin:

I'm looking at (possibly) purchasing a 2007+ FJR (A or AE....I'm not fussed :blink: ) to be used and stored in the USA for some upcoming holidays. Done the maths, and worked out that it will be better for us to purchase a US bike, rather than hire one, or ship ours over, each time we want to come to the US.

Looking at some annual holidays of 4+ weeks per year, touring around your neighbourhood. ScooterG has already kindly offered to assist me to find a bike...thanks Greg. I am looking at a possible purchase around April next year.

Question:

Apart from here (Classifieds section) what websites do you guys recommend me to keep an eye on for a potential ride? I am hoping that my brother in law in NJ will garage the bike...hell, I might even convince him that he needs an FJR as well....he is thinking of HD (oh the horror of it all).

Okey dokey....fire away. :clapping:

Sounds like an Excellent Plan! I visited Perth, Australia a few times while on the Aircraft Carrier USS Midway between '77-'80. We pulled into Freemantle.

Had a blast. Got my ass severely sunburned on your nude beach there. Swanborne I believe was the name of it. Damn, you guys have some lovely ladies over

there you lucky bastards!! If you plan on visting Disneyworld in Orlando, send me a PM. I'm 3 Hours away. I'll ride up there and buy you a few beers.

Have fun!! VIC. :yahoo:

G'day back at you! :D Don't ignore the local stealers with used bikes either. I recently picked up a mint '07 with Givi trunk, V-Stream windshield, and Corbin seat and 3100 on the clock. Got it from a stealer that sells most everything but Yamaha. I picked it up for $8400 where they had it originally listed on the net for $9900. The riding season only has about six weeks left here and the stealers don't want to carry additional inventory through the winter.

Happy hunting!

Thanks FJRbluesman...those are the sort of links I am looking for.

majicmaker...I am originally from Tasmania - small (ish) island at the arse end of Australia...but it does have some of the best riding roads in Oz. We've been in Perth since Feb 1992 (transferred to here with the Royal Australian Air Force, but I am no longer working with them). Yep....the sights here are very easy on the eye. I always enjoy a run down the coastal hwy....performing an obligatory "hooter" patrol.

highcountry...that was a great buy. Well done. Yes, you're right...the negotiation time would be perfect right now. But we have just about finished a kitchen refurbishment here at home, and there are still some items on the shopping list which need to be attended to. If next June/July is too soon for us to travel, then I will be looking in earnest around September next year for a purchase.

In the meantime...I can scour the bargains...work on possible touring plans (locations etc). Any help is good help. Thanks folks.

Steve, If you can not store it in NJ you can store it at my FJR place in Connecticut. If you buy it close enough I will even pick-it up and ride it home for you. What did you do with the RAAF, my first real assignment when I started working was to interface with the RAAF for delivery of Helicopters.

I have been reveiwing the above links regularly, and have spotted some bargains.

Questions:

Is it correct that California licensed bikes are different to others in the USA (due to emission controls etc)? Should I steer clear of these bikes? Without getting into too much trouble...can someone give me an indication of what the essential recalls you guys have had? (We have had very little here in Australia.....but we don't get the altitudes some of you have).

Again...thanks for the info, suggestions and help/assistance offered so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
to be used and stored in the USA for some upcoming holidays. better for us to purchase a US bike, rather than hire one, or ship ours over, each time we want to come to the US.
I want to be a good, generous forum member here. I would be happy to "store" your bike in my garage gratus. Of course, I would put myself out by keeping it in running condition at all times and we would agree it shouldn't sit without use for more than a day or two to keep the seals pliable, the battery charged, and properly excercised.

You're welcome... :rolleyes:

Mike in Nawlins'

In all seriousness....if I was to have the bike garaged by a forum member, I would expect it to be ridden occasionally. It's only fair (for the bike, and the minder). Normal insurance responsibilities would be enforced (of course)...and maybe a mileage limit....hmmm....getting ahead of myself here...gotta get the bike first.

recalls as I remember:

Four recalls. Let's see:

1) Altitude fix - replace ECU

2) TPS - throttle position sensor

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator - this is on an AE electric shift model

I have a 2006 A with low miles on it. How many weeks out of the year did you plan on needing a bike here?

Cause you could just send me the 9 grand or so you'd pay for a used FJR , and when you come here you can just use my bike.

I have a 2006 A with low miles on it. How many weeks out of the year did you plan on needing a bike here?
Cause you could just send me the 9 grand or so you'd pay for a used FJR , and when you come here you can just use my bike.
:rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE]

:rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE] :rofl: [SIZE=8pt]no[/SIZE]

I was actualy being serious....If you end up not wrecking the thing you'd get most of your money back. (minus oil filter and tire costs...and a few bucks for general wear and tear)

How much would it cost to rent a bike here?

KM

I have heard figures of $AUD1200 per week thrown around...for a bike similar in size to the FJR.....are you going to run the numbers and make me an offer I can't refuse? :lol:

My plan is to hold onto the bike for several "seasons" - not just a one-off trip. I'm looking at/for an 07 onwards AS model, so that any bling/farkles I buy for it, could be transferred back (upon sale) to my regular workhorse here in Oz. Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

I'm a few days late on this but I bought a new 08 AE two months ago for $10,990.00 and I found it on e-bay!

That's over $5,000.00 less than MSRP but I understand Yamaha has an overstock of certain models and is still

sitting on some 07's NIB. By-the-way, it was a dealer's ad on e-bay and I know many car dealers are doing

the same.

Anyway, good luck on your search...bigjimbiker from Florida

I have heard figures of $AUD1200 per week thrown around...for a bike similar in size to the FJR.....are you going to run the numbers and make me an offer I can't refuse? :lol:

I really done have any numbers to run, was more or less making the offer as a gesture of good will and not thinking about making any profit here. I don't know you...so the concept of leaving a "Depost" just seemed a good idea.

But if thats anywhere near 1200 bucks US for a week...hell, all I wanted was my bike back in one piece and new rubber if you use it up.