Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfixall101

Reaction score
Just got my Fjr and put a throttle lock on it, not sure i like it. Can any one tell me if the cruise controls that I have seen online are any good.

I purchased an 07 in the spring of last year and one of the first things I did was take a trip to Mo. to see Smitty and have him install a Audiovox cruise control.. I could not be happier , it works like a charm and really makes the long trips a lot easier. There are a few, very few, who have had a problem with it but most are happy with it.

Mac

Last year I installed a Throttlemeister in my "silver ghost" and so far I'll say that every six or eight months it would require adjustment or should I say thingten up. Not a problem for a $135 part that works like a charm on the HWY. If you have money to blow go with the Audiovox, but keep in mind that throttle locks are not dependent on any wiring, thus not prone to electrical issues both to the bike or from from the mechanism. If going for the Avx, I think you are better off if someone with experience such as Smitty do the install. Just my .02 !

BERDE

Last edited by a moderator:
cruis control :unsure: ..GPS, radar, sonar, electric tooth brushes

whats the world comming to... what happened to the old style of riding, just taking off down a road with no destinatin and see where you end up?

Oh Ya, pick up kids for school.. For my first long trip on my FJR, i'll be getting that throttlemeister gadget :D

I don't quite understand why we lump throttle locks into the same category as cruise controls. One controls speed. The other only controls throttle position. If you live somewhere that's not flat, throttle locks are useless for speed control. They're only good for wrist relief.

By the way, the last automotive throttle lock I'm aware of was an option on early 70's Ford pickups with manual transmissions. Yeah, the world has moved on since then.

I don't quite understand why we lump throttle locks into the same category as cruise controls.
The question in the original post seemed to be about cruise control, but we drifted ...

An '05 may not have any problems with an Audiovox cruise control, but I have yet to read that the problem(s) with the GenII has(have) been worked out.

It's my understanding that Audiovox no longer makes the CCS100 vacuum cruise control. Is that true?

I have a CCS100 on my '06. It works as well as the original '03 I rode with with a CCS100. Seems to operate as well or better than the super high-dollar electronic servo unit I installed on my '04.

I don't know if the CCS100 is still in production.

I have a CCS100 on my '06. It works as well as the original '03 I rode with with a CCS100. Seems to operate as well or better than the super high-dollar electronic servo unit I installed on my '04.
Super high-dollar electronic servo? More information please. Rostra?

I have an 07 FJR and have never been able to get the Audiovox to work consistently and have done lots of problem solving to no avail. Smitty installs the Audiovox CC and last I heard he has no problems with Gen 1 FJR's. He will not guarantee Gen 2 installs to work.

If I had an 05 and could get an Audiovox CC I would go for it. I really like cruise control when it works.

Super high-dollar electronic servo? More information please. Rostra?
The Rostra appears to be the unit. At the time it was close to $300. Prices have come down.

I do have a boxed Harley unit that uses the GM style servo unit. The kit appears to be complete and I would have used it had I considered that the servo could be placed at the neck of the FJR frame (as my CCS100 is installed now.) If somebody wants to do a little fab and wants an electronic servo unit, I'll sell this one for $100 plus shipping with no guarantees. It's a cruise control. It's GM for a Harley. I can't imagine there being any problems considering how many potential applications the unit must fit. I've seen this same unit in pickups and passenger cars.

Not trying to hijack. PVT if interested.

I just looked at the link supplied in the bin-o-facts and the price of McCruise has jumped compared to prices described on the forum last year. Now $838 with loom for the GENII FJR manual clutch version. Ouch.

I just looked at the link supplied in the bin-o-facts and the price of McCruise has jumped compared to prices described on the forum last year. Now $838 with loom for the GENII FJR manual clutch version. Ouch.

You can thank the weak U.S. Dollar for that, at least in part. I would think it would also result in increases in Japanese bike prices sooner or later.

LC

Just to set things straight, I purchased my Audiovox cruise control for $90, although that was a few years ago. At the time, they were cheaper than a throttlemeister. I purchased another one about 9 months ago for my Miata, for maybe $100. It is considerably harder to install than a throttle lock, but the performance is well worth it.

I had a Throttlemeister on my previous Concours C10. I found it virtually useless for holding a steady speed except on perfectly flat ground, with no other traffic around. A vehicle ahead of me would easily increase my speed by 10 mph due to the drafting effect. I basically never used it.

I recommend you go with a real cruise control.

cruis control :unsure: ..GPS, radar, sonar, electric tooth brusheswhats the world comming to... what happened to the old style of riding, just taking off down a road with no destinatin and see where you end up?
My grand-dad - born in 1880 - grew up with the horse and buggy. He never got used to automobiles; his entire driving career spanned a few minutes and a few blocks - he didn't even ride in them any more than he had to. I think he would empathize with you... :lol:

Just installed the Madco unit on my 07, took about 20 minutes. Works like a champ, and appears OEM.

Just a throttle lock, but thats all I need in the Western states...esp. Nevada, Montana, etc.

Only a couple small farkles left, and I am ready for my first SS1000

cruis control :unsure: ..GPS, radar, sonar, electric tooth brusheswhats the world comming to... what happened to the old style of riding, just taking off down a road with no destinatin and see where you end up?

Oh Ya, pick up kids for school.. For my first long trip on my FJR, i'll be getting that throttlemeister gadget :D

Without the GPS and RD on the FJR you would end up lost and in jail! :rolleyes:

LC

P.S. Oh, yeah. My MC Cruise works flawlessly!

Last year I installed a Throttlemeister in my "silver ghost" and so far I'll say that every six or eight months it would require adjustment or should I say thingten up. Not a problem for a $135 part that works like a charm on the HWY. If you have money to blow go with the Audiovox, but keep in mind that throttle locks are not dependent on any wiring, thus not prone to electrical issues both to the bike or from from the mechanism. If going for the Avx, I think you are better off if someone with experience such as Smitty do the install. Just my .02 !
BERDE
Not computing..135 bucks for t-meister throttle lock...100 bucks for audiovox CRUISE CONTROL....money to blow..? :D BTW..still available @ amazon.com for that price as of december 07.

Guess it's personal preference.....are we riding yet. B)