Death Valley - Feb. 12 thru Feb. 16

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure Tyler will post up some of the amazing Wildflower photos, the park was a blaze with color. I have never seen it with so many flowers. We had a blast riding with Intech (Bob and Janet) plus his brother and his wife as they were on rented Wings so we enjoyed a relaxed pace. Feeling sorry for Bob as he came down with the flu Sunday afternoon and missed the big dinner plus they are flying back to the east coast today, bummer.

Saw and visited with plenty of familiar FJR peeps plus met some new friends too. Morecowbell Jim did a fine job bringing beer and passed the fng test with flying colors.

My lovely wife Gayle handled the almost 500 mile ride home yesterday like a pro. Nevada was in it's winter glory with clear skies and snow topped mountains. All was going well until we hit Truckee where the holiday ski traffic was the pits but with a jump on old hwy 40 we passed much of it.

Big thanks to Tyler for putting this together, by all the smiles going around I'd say folks had a good time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted on AzBeemers. Don't go off on DOTW without all the facts.

JSNS and :fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

​and it really was a fun run in the portable Hondarosa. You don't realize how steep those grades are when you have a 130 hp motobike.. but in a fully loaded truck with even more fully loaded camper.... hello 2nd gear! Say what, 42mph? Pix to follow.

Thanks for organizing this event, Tyler.

It was a great weekend with great weather.

Here's a shot of my wife enjoying Dante's View Saturday afternoon.

P1000691.jpg

And Ashford Mill taken Sunday

P1000809.jpg

So that meal that was ordered and just sat there going to waist was eaten by me and paid for it including tip. I did place an order, it was taking a long time and since they didn't even start cooking it yet I canceled it. A couple people suggested that I eat the steak and I did. I hate to see food go to waste.

Not sure if this qualifies me as DOTW.

As far as the guy I had a conversation with regarding the newer BMW water cooled vs the older air cooled engine - and the direction that BMW is going, it was just that - a conversation. I had no idea I was annoying that guy.

I forgot to mention that 'Jeff' did donate $20.00 to the bill. I told him not to but he insisted. I accepted his offer and thanked him and paid the additional amount and tip myself.

Looking back I should have just paid the whole thing myself.

So that meal that was ordered and just sat there going to waist was eaten by me and paid for it including tip. I did place an order, it was taking a long time and since they didn't even start cooking it yet I canceled it. A couple people suggested that I eat the steak and I did. I hate to see food go to waste.
Not sure if this qualifies me as DOTW.

As far as the guy I had a conversation with regarding the newer BMW water cooled vs the older air cooled engine - and the direction that BMW is going, it was just that - a conversation. I had no idea I was annoying that guy.
Thank you for posting 03silverbullet and clarifying who paid what. Considering the circumstances you likely don't deserve DOTW but since it has been bestowed by another forum member, it will be hard to take it back. However, I believe you have already been promoted to MNSADA (Maybe Not Such A Dick After-all) on the AZ Beemer forum. We can't depend on dcarver to clarify anything he is always so confused and got the post all wrong. I said, I can't believe you did not pay for the meal and now I don't have to believe that because you did, pay for it, that is or at least part of it.

About you being annoying. Yes you did breeze in, yes you did start trying to sell/promoting water cooled BMW motorcycles to drunks, yes you were sober and yes I was not, yes you are in sales after all. I was about three or four drinks away from going to my room before my meal arrived. Then you would have really had your hands full. We had what you describe as a conversation, thank you for being so polite, but in fact I really unloaded on you about every failure and weakness BMW has had in North America, like it was your fault. What the company is doing really is annoying and you just reminded me of it. Greed conquers all!

If you read my post you will see it was more a sarcastic rant or tonge-in-cheek, at your expense. You just started to talk about a product, that I have followed very closely for years, and you got this pent up broadside from me. They are moving fast, new this and that, but they are still trying to fix the stuff they already have on the road and sometimes failing badly. I really did feel bad after, for being so rude, but I had a few more drinks and the feeling went away. I think I will start using that method for all my problems. Flat tire, lets have a drink! However, your final comment summed up our conversation; "I guess I won't be selling this guy a water cooled boxer." No hard feelings. JSNS!

Regards,

Dash

Ah what a night. I was just thankful that 03Silverbullet arrived. Dash was talking american politics before Steve arrived he went on and on about these old guys in government. I mean he was saying names I barely remember out of the history books. As I was limited to one drink for the night, (I still had to ride 20 miles to the cat house) I can say the conversation was quite entertaining. Dashbaw even said that he was going to buy and FJR! These old Canadian guys, get a few drinks in them and i'm not sure we can trust what the say. Steve did offer to pay for the meal from the very beginning, although there were plenty jokes about charging it to the room too. As I am usually the youngest of the group I love to just listen to all the stories and conversations. Tyler put on a great gathering and I enjoyed seeing everyone.

Dash - I agreed with everything you had to say about the American Government. You are a great alien to have around.

Holy Crap, Batman! All this angst and there I was, just happy as could be, pokin' fun at the pass-out, egging Steve on to take the free dinner, having a wonderful time with new and old peeps!

..and ol' Dash -

We can't depend on dcarver to clarify anything he is always so confused and got the post all wrong.
JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

..and when do we ride again, my friend? Life is short, let's go!

Blab, blab, blab ...Where are the dang pictures?
No kidding... I had no idea there was such drama going on... was having too much of a good time! There was a gent who ordered dinner and then, due to too much alcohol consumption, didn't return to the dinner table after he ordered. Steve came in and I told him to take the dinner. He did and, afaik, paid for it. Yeesh... you boys sometimes. :lol:

Pictures will be coming soon... came down with some flu bug so stayed home from work today. Hope to get to them this week... B)

Holy Crap, Batman! All this angst and there I was, just happy as could be, pokin' fun at the pass-out, egging Steve on to take the free dinner, having a wonderful time with new and old peeps!
..and ol' Dash -

We can't depend on dcarver to clarify anything he is always so confused and got the post all wrong.
JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

..and when do we ride again, my friend? Life is short, let's go!
Hey DC,

Well, I woke up early for some reason, likely just thinking of when we could ride together.

In the US, there is the Road Runner Rally at Hannagan Meadows in June on the Devil's Highway. FJRs are fun there. I will be on an RT as I will be leaving from there and running across to Southern Ontario to pickup some stuff from a nephew and them back across northern Canada, as I can't run through the USA with what I am picking up. Summer is busy north of the border this year with replacing decks, getting the house painted and local rides. Then there is the Rubin Run in September. I think it was last year or the year before we met there when BeemerDonS came up. Gee, then we're back to Death Valley. I think this time I will just eat burgers down stairs. They are hard to screw up and food up stairs is average to poor but very expensive. And those stairs are challenging for guy my age, got to watch those trip and falls.

During the winter I ride up on the Tecate Divide (Julian/Borrego Springs area) at least once a week as it is only an hour out of Yuma. Creston is a little north or we could plan some meets for day rides. I pass Cali guys up there all the time, but just give them the finger and keep going, you know ADV riders.

Pictures, pictures??? We ain't got time for pictures. Its throttle, throttle! At the speed we travel they would be blurred anyway.

Dash