Did you have the guts to change the spring tension on your throttle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, did it to my new '04 right away & it's good. I did hook the spring hook with a piece of safety wire & pulled the spring hook up & off the tang and then let it unwind (with safety wire still on it ) & then tied the safety wire off. this way I could reinstall it if I ever wanted to.

Later,,, De :exhappysmiley:

I don't feel the need to do it, I don't think my '05 spring is very strong. Makes me wonder if the PO already did it...

Oh, I use a wrist rest anyway.

Add another one to the list w/no regrets on my '06!

However, I was a little nervous that it wouldn't catch after reading some of the stories but no problems...

Once I was able to get a hold of the end of the center spring, it was no problem. I have since compaired throttles without the mod, and I am 100% glad I made the change.

One thing I forgot to mention and didn't see it yet is if I had it to do over again, I would have done the G-2 Throttle mod first. The spring release might have not been necessary if this was done. The G-2 wasn't out when I did the spring mod. But the two together is real good. Just a thought. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it on my 06ae, ended up doing the G-2 Throttle mod after that. long story short ended up reinstall center spring back, What a PITA.

OK I should add that the reason I changed the spring mod back was that it was just to soft for me, that with having a throttle rocker, G-2 on it. There was a post about someone riding their "AE" into a store, it almost happen to me, but I had a hold of the front brakes as the rear wheel was trying to use all 145HP, all most drop it. So for me it was a dangerous combination on this . Then aging I was still very green.

I released mine... center spring One Turn. As soon as I could after getting home from the dealer. It was an 860 mile trip home and my wrist was dang sore.

From what I was told here.... the job was simple and worked so well I haven't found the time to add my Audiovox CC .... No problems still good tension on the return.

close to 12k now. No regrets.

Tim

Me Too ! Although mine slipped and unwound all the way i guess...that was 28K ago and no problems...like Nike sez...Just Do It !

Bobby

I have 13K on my AE with the center spring mod. Up to this point I have had no issues at with my throttle sticking. Holy smoke, I just realized I have put 15K on my bike in six month.

The center spring is the "Attorney Spring".

There are three springs and two do just fine -- takes "NO" guts

Completely released the spring on my '05, 20,000 miles ago. As said previously, the best free modication I have heard of. It provides a major improvement in long distance comfort, and greatly improves smoothness when changing throttle settings.

Honestly, is it really that hard to twist the throttle? :dntknw:
Boom-shaka-laka!

Funny you should mention this.

I took a look at one of my old-old-old posts...about the 3rd or 4th I made back in '05, and read an interesting comment I'd made after my first ride on the Feej...

CLICK-A-MUNDO

...not one single time, since the night I drove my new FJR home have I thought the throttle had too much spring. But it obviously gave me that first impression. Never even considered doing the "throttle spring-ectomy" since that night.