Earplugs: just me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to wear a cheap(er) Bell helmet, and found tons of noise and buffeting.
Now I use a Shoei and found it smoother and quieter than most... and a larger windshield.

All the foam ear plugs got moved a little when I donned the helmet, and I'm too cheap for custom foam, so now I squish up a 1/4 of a kleenex tissue , and I'm golden. It seems to eliminate wind noise, but not much audible sound. I can still talk w/ most folks or my passenger easily.

Usually I forget they're in there until someone asks about them at a stop. Cheap and easy to toss and replace.
And it keeps your ears cleaned out.

Most of the foam ones I use now I take a pair of sisssors and cut off about 1/4" of the end. This seems to solve the problem of them getting moved when I put on my helmet. They still fill the ear canal and cut noise as well.

Pretty much covered by everyone else, the hard part is finding a set that work for you. I've had many that have been "fine" but the blue Hearos are the best by far for me when riding.

The last study I saw reported that even the quietest helmets were at 70+ decibels at 60 or 70 mph. 2 hours of that and the damage that's set in is permanent. Only an hour of that, and there is still damage being done. Obviously, I always wear ear plugs...On my FJR. I've tried them on my diet bike and still haven't gotten used to them. I need to handle that.

No idea what's going on with your ears. Everyone is different. Maybe there's nothing wrong and you just don't like the sensation of your ears being blocked. Like some people can't SCUBA dive because the mask freaks them out. Either way, I have some Surefire EP7 Sonic Defenders. They have a small hole that allows some sound through, and let's any pressure out. That may solve your issue. Amazon has them for about $16. Take a look. Once you get used to those, you can seal off the little hole for better protection, or just ride, happy that you don't feel like shit, and your ears are better off than they were.

Look here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?k=surefire+ep7+sonic+defenders+ultra&sprefix=surefire+ep7&crid=1QE80KIAB4Q48

Thanks for all the comments. Really appreciated.
I'm going to find some earplugs that work for me and report back.
Glad you've come to the decision to persevere.
I fully realise you are having problems that are not specifically based on the type of earplug, but something of an aversion to having something stuffed in your ear, maybe with a bit of a claustrophobic effect because of the deadening of the normal sounds around you (I liken it to lying in a bath of water and lowering your head until the ears are submerged).

The type of earplug that suits any individual is very much a matter of personal preference. I've tried several types over the years, though never moulded ones (I'm too much of a skinflint to invest mucho dinero on plugs that may not suit me).

The ones I have settled on are foam, not rubber (which I don't get on with*) :

(Click on image for larger view)

Not the cheapest, and not to be confused with other Boots' ones that look similar. They work (at least for me), last well, and will stand a couple of washes before noticeable reduction in performance. They are also supplied with a handy container to keep them from getting covered in the random detritus that's in your pocket.

*Or, as Churchill would say, "with which I don't get on".

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear hearing protection at all times is my best advice, as all the others have recommended also.

Try plugup.com for some good hearing protection options. They can make custom ear plugs for you and send you a kit so you can get the mold made for you

I use the Howard Leight florescent green/pink ones. I bought a case of them after being given a pair during an MRI. I find them more comfortable than most, although I usually don't have a problem with foam plugs anyway. I've tried some DIY molded plugs and they don't ever stay seated well and don't seem to provide the same reduction. Perhaps getting a pro to do it would make a difference. Also, for me, anything with a cord is irritating since any rubbing on the cord seems to travel directly into my ear canal.

All that to say, I've got constant tinnitus and the plugs help. In my youth, loud rocks concerts, gunfire, and riding without plugs have definitely contributed to the ringing and whatever hearing loss I now have. No do-overs. Protect your hearing while you still have ti.

Ross, If you still have the custom ones, maybe you could try filing down the outer side of the custom plugs so they don't stick out so far. Mine have seated and sealed perfectly with multiple helmets throughout the years. Just a thought.
I might give it a try before I toss them - or just keep them for applications where I am not wearing the helmet.
I uses mine for in the shop (grinding, cutting, air compressor, etc.), mowing the lawn, and at the gun range too.

From years of shooting, riding, and working as a civilian in an AFB computer room where they claimed the dB was withing specs (but didn't acknowledge duration of exposure), I have sever tinnitus.

I can be alone in a crowd because, while I can hear people talking in a room with a lot of background noise, I can't follow the conversation. I can't understand what they are saying. They don't make hearing aids for tinnitus last I checked because increased volume (regardless of what freq's are amplified) only increases the problem.

Act early to save your hearing.

I can be alone in a crowd because, while I can hear people talking in a room with a lot of background noise, I can't follow the conversation. I can't understand what they are saying.
That's the same issue I have, just without the ringing, so far. It's bad enough that if I'm watching TV and my wife turns on the dishwasher, on the other side of the dining room, I have to turn the TV way up to be able to hear anything more than gibberish. Hell, sometimes just the background music in a show makes it hard for me to hear what's being said. In crowds, I still haven't figured out how many times I should ask, "Huh?" before I just pretend to know what someone said, use their facial cues to laugh or not and them just move on. Haha...

What's stupid is I can hear most things very well. Even very slight sounds. I just can't separate the sounds from each other when they're all jumbled up. AND, my 15 year old mumbles at me. That drives me fucking nuts, and she gets irritated with me always making her repeat stuff. If she'd just speak up and not say random shit with background noise, we'd be fine!

I always wear earplugs and have no problem aside from after wearing them all day my ears are a little tender but otherwise I'm good to go.

I still haven't figured out how many times I should ask, "Huh?" before I just pretend to know what someone said, use their facial cues to laugh or not and them just move on. Haha...
What's stupid is I can hear most things very well. Even very slight sounds. I just can't separate the sounds from each other when they're all jumbled up. AND, my 15 year old mumbles at me. That drives me fucking nuts, and she gets irritated with me always making her repeat stuff. If she'd just speak up and not say random shit with background noise, we'd be fine!
My fix for that with family (and friends who know) is to repeat back what it sounded like they said; regardless of how unreasonable it sounds. They either slow down, speak up, or enunciate clearer.

The first few times they were stunned. I explained that I was tired of repeating HUH? just to have them say it the exact same way again. This makes the point and reminds them to change their delivery. Sometimes it's pretty funny, too.

I can be alone in a crowd because, while I can hear people talking in a room with a lot of background noise, I can't follow the conversation. I can't understand what they are saying.
That's the same issue I have, just without the ringing, so far. It's bad enough that if I'm watching TV and my wife turns on the dishwasher, on the other side of the dining room, I have to turn the TV way up to be able to hear anything more than gibberish. Hell, sometimes just the background music in a show makes it hard for me to hear what's being said. In crowds, I still haven't figured out how many times I should ask, "Huh?" before I just pretend to know what someone said, use their facial cues to laugh or not and them just move on. Haha...

My wife can talk to me from across the room for 20 minutes at a time and I don't hear a word, particularly when watching MotoGP or F1, or.....well, any TV at all to be honest. I thought it was due to 25 years of marriage but now I realize it's hearing loss due to not wearing hearing protection in my youth!

I first had to wear earplugs about 20 years ago for work (and still do) so I just got used to them. The claustrophobic feeling goes away pretty quick, just like wearing a helmet.

I wear plugs on every ride and even wear them in hotel rooms when traveling and any time I ride on a prop driven aircraft.

I still haven't figured out how many times I should ask, "Huh?" before I just pretend to know what someone said, use their facial cues to laugh or not and them just move on. Haha...
My fix for that with family (and friends who know) is to repeat back what it sounded like they said; regardless of how unreasonable it sounds. They either slow down, speak up, or enunciate clearer.

The first few times they were stunned. I explained that I was tired of repeating HUH? just to have them say it the exact same way again. This makes the point and reminds them to change their delivery. Sometimes it's pretty funny, too.
Yeah, I've tried that. Get ganged up on. "You got 'em for Nana but maybe it's YOU that needs hearing aides!" Then the jokes start. (Actually it can be pretty funny.) But man sometimes I can't believe I actually tell my 17 y.o. to speak slowly and articulate. Did I really turn into that guy??

Other than the constant noise/ringing the two most noticeable consequences of not protecting the ears is that I now prefer the house as quiet as possible (as opposed to those who like the TV or something on for "background noise") and sometimes having to walk outside or away from someone when the sound or pitch level is just so. 'Zilla nailed it when he said it's not so much the volume but rather not being able to separate the different sounds.

With the skewed loss of high frequencies, louder is only a marginal improvement. Mid-to-low frequency is practically normal for me so loud sounds are still loud but there is very significant attenuation of high frequency. This makes it almost impossible to understand anything if there is ANY ambient noise or more than one person speaking. Unfortunately, most of the "information" conveyed in speech requires mid-to-high frequencies! Certain high frequency sounds are simply GONE or almost gone. Some tinnitus but not overwhelming.

The last live music event I attended was at least a half dozen years ago. Loud but with no detail. I complained about the acoustics in the arena and that I couldn't understand any of the lyrics - apparently I was the only one with that issue! I don't attend live music events any more!

So many good quotes here. Back round noise, conversations, ringing in ears. My damage is done. Protect your hearing.

How many times do you listen to a new song and say WHAT. Have to look up the lyrics to get it.

I suffer from CHS can't hear shit. Its a life long thing.

Bottom line...... If you don't protect your hearing when you ride, you are in for a rude awakening later in life. Thanks to all who have shared their stories. Those stories encouraged me to protect my ears when I began street riding years ago. I will be forever grateful to those who steered me in the proper direction. Thanks guys!

I wear Moldex Pura-Fit 5800 27db, class 5 earplugs. The Boeing Company has these earplugs in the 737 Wing Manufacturing area and were a perk for employees for home use. The Wing line is a very loud environment. I have used these plugs while motorcycling for years. Cheap and disposable. I wear earplugs to save my hearing and reduce fatigue.

... What's stupid is I can hear most things very well. Even very slight sounds. I just can't separate the sounds from each other when they're all jumbled up. AND, my 15 year old mumbles at me. That drives me fucking nuts, and she gets irritated with me always making her repeat stuff. If she'd just speak up and not say random shit with background noise, we'd be fine!
Fully agree.
One other effect of deteriorating hearing is that I can no longer cope with the dynamic range of sounds, quiet ones are indistinct, louder ones are painful. I'm now understanding the problems my wife had for her last 15-20 years.

It's absolutely normal for a 15-year-old, particularly daughters, to mumble. How they communicate between each other is beyond me. Probably the same mechanism they use later on in life, when a group of several ladies can all be talking at once, and each knows what all the others have said.

I bought set of hearing aids three months ago at Sam's. I always watched my Father in law choosing to be isolated from conversations because he was too stubborn to wear his. These aids opened up my life to sounds I haven't heard in years!! Now I can hear separate voices in a noisy room which was a struggle before. They are expensive but worth the cost. I worked on aircraft and hot rods a lot. I loved the sound of open headers with no plugs going down the 1/4 mile. They lessen the tinnitus when installed in the ear also. They aren't readily visible anymore like those old plastic ones that had old geezer written all over them!!

I don't have a "ringing" in my ears exactly. I'd describe it as more of a soft wall of white noise. Like a million crickets are outside but the higher frequencies and their loudness muffled by the house, and it's only noticeable when there are no other sounds present.

There are many times I also can't hear what's being said on the TV, even with the sound turned up. There have been some movies I just gave up trying to watch because of this. But I don't think all of it was due to me. My wife, although a few years older, has excellent hearing. We have come across movies on TV that even she couldn't hear what was being said. I think the fault, at least partly, is due to films made with Dolby Surround sound or whatever they use now for theaters. Unless you too have that system at home the dynamic range coming out of normal TV speakers doesn't pair well. When folks are whispering on screen, you can't hear them. If you turn it up all the way so you can (and sometimes you still can't) You're blown out of your chair when something happens that's louder. Watching a movie shouldn't require you to adjust volume up and down as you go.

Older movies don't seem to have this problem. So that kind of shows that sometimes it's the fault of the sound engineering and not just my hearing loss. We both have also tried to watch stuff where the music soundtrack was louder than the people talking, to the point that even turned up my wife could not hear them.

As for not hearing my wife....she gets mad sometimes and won't repeat herself if I ask. Pisses me off too. However, sometimes it's OK ;)