(edit) changing Gen 2 display from miles to kilometers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet89

Reaction score
I have done a search and can only find one post where someone asked how to convert from kilometers to miles on the multifunction display. I would like to convert my multifunction display from miles to kiliometers on my 08 FJR. I have tried pressing the selecter buttons in all kinds of configurations but I can not figure it our and the manual makes no mention of how it can be accomplished.

Does anyone know if you can change from miles to kilometers? If so, can someone walk me through the procedure?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
the manual makes no mention of how it can be accomplished.
That's because it can't be changed. Maybe the feature got to be too expensive to support or was too confusing for riders to figure out? ;) Thems that live in the lands of km's get km’s, thems that don't get miles, never the 'tween shall mix. But, the Gen I’s have no problem switching between km/mile.

You know, I was curious about this so I just went out to the garage to check it out 'cuz I thought I had read there was a way to make the change. Yep, planet89 is right; it's not in the manual. Doggone it, where did I read that? Oh, it's in the R1 manual where it says to press the "select" and "reset" buttons together to make the change. I tried that on the FJR and all's I got was the hour number flashing on the clock.

Oh well, I tried.

Thanks, that is too bad as I live in Canada and bought mine in the US. Dealer even thought that the display could be changed but he may be referring to the Gen 1 bikes.

Just for the record, any problem getting the bike certified in Canada with the odometer in miles instead of kilometers?

Just for the record, any problem getting the bike certified in Canada with the odometer in miles instead of kilometers?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you there Hellfish. No, no problem at all. I was in and out of Canadian Tire in about 20 minutes. The speedometer has both miles in bold and kilometers in smaller print. That is all that is required as far as speedometer and odometer.

Does that mean that miles/km ARE switchable? Or, did you have to have a modification made? Your post from The Metric Great White North isn't the first time that question was asked. It would be helpful for others to know how you have km's in smaller print.

Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

Apparently Canadian Gen-I bikes could be switched, but Gen-II cannot.

They DO allow you to cycle between L/100km and km/L, which is, of course laughable, since up here all we use is the former. And, of course it WOULD be too confusing, because we wouldn't be able to see the 'mpg' that would replace the metric mode designator.

But as someone said, they probably decided that it would be too complicated to allow switching back and forth, like I can on both my cars . . . because cage drivers are obviously smarter than bike riders . . . . NOT.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you there Hellfish. No, no problem at all. I was in and out of Canadian Tire in about 20 minutes. The speedometer has both miles in bold and kilometers in smaller print. That is all that is required as far as speedometer and odometer.
They call it the "Canadian tire stamp" :blink:

A $200 waste of money :angry: Just another method our government uses to bleed more money from us. :blink:

I took mine in and the guy behind the counter looked at my paperwork, glanced out the window to see the bike in the back of my truck, stamped it, and asked if I wanted him to fax it off.............total time in the store, less than 2 minutes.

When I first got my 05, I somehow made the switch by accident when zeroing the trip meter or something. For a while, I thought I'd just had a dramatic increase in my gas mileage. :yahoo: I'm thinking about switching back to kilometers to make myself feel better about that four-buck-a-gallon gas.

There is a solution for the km/miles problem, it is possible to change readings by adding a Speed Healer. This unit will do the miles to km conversion and let you tweak the indicated speed until it is exact. There is an online speed calculator to help you dial it in. It is then switchable back and forth between measurement units.

You know, I was curious about this so I just went out to the garage to check it out 'cuz I thought I had read there was a way to make the change. Yep, planet89 is right; it's not in the manual. Doggone it, where did I read that? Oh, it's in the R1 manual where it says to press the "select" and "reset" buttons together to make the change. I tried that on the FJR and all's I got was the hour number flashing on the clock.
That works on the my 03. I changed to KM by mistake, when trying to reset the clock. Had to dig out the manual to correct it, after lots of fruitless button pushing.

ionbeam

Sorry, I have not got the multifunction display switched to metric.

My speedometer has both kilometers and miles per hour as most bikes or cars do. The miles per hour are in large print and the kph are in smaller print. This would normally be the opposite for a bike produced for the Canadian market.

As far as the multifunction display, I will check out the link you porvided.

planet89

Thanks, that is too bad as I live in Canada and bought mine in the US. Dealer even thought that the display could be changed but he may be referring to the Gen 1 bikes.
i paid 17000.00 can. + tax last year for my 07, i guess you had a good deal on yours to go across the border?