EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one little stretch that has 318 deep turns in just 11 miles. Soooo. No
This is truly great riding country
I have no desire to ride that one nor get the sticker, however 421 is great(er).
Did the Dragon, got the sticker...I prefer the FSB roads of SE Ohio than that tourist trap. But the Snake on the other hand...kinda like SE Ohio...no traffic.

There's one little stretch that has 318 deep turns in just 11 miles. Soooo. No
This is truly great riding country
Been there... done that... got the sticker... no desire to do it again unless taking someone through that hasn't yet done it. That would be just for killboy glamor shots...

edit: yeah, 421 the snake was a good road... I would do that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the Dragon is a novelty road, something you want to do at least once. The snake is a tight little road through the forest, fun; but the Cherohala Skyway, is what the FJR is built for!

I also remember enjoying NC-80 through the Pisgah National Forest, but I don't know if that is out of range for the EOM.

IMO the Dragon is a novelty road, something you want to do at least once. The snake is a tight little road through the forest, fun; but the Cherohala Skyway, is what the FJR is built for!
I also remember enjoying NC-80 through the Pisgah National Forest, but I don't know if that is out of range for the EOM.
Not sure if I'm going to EOM or not...I should I'm very close! lol....Anyway I've not ridden the Dragon yet, possibly planning a trip in June to like the other's say - do it once and get my sticker but I really want to ride the Skyway....anyway the "Devil's Whip" NC80 as it's called is well within reach of Maggie Valley! Just a short ride on the best part of the BRP (in my opinion) just past Mt. Mitchell. Another place worth visiting if you've never been....but I digress NC 80 is a great road!

Agree w nikk 100%. Skyway, foothills parkway and NC 80. We have the unfortunate timing of a weekend when traffic will suck. Bad. But still good rides! Mind blowing midweek though.

Agree w nikk 100%. Skyway, foothills parkway and NC 80. We have the unfortunate timing of a weekend when traffic will suck. Bad. But still good rides! Mind blowing midweek though.
Is there something else going on that weekend, or is that a comment about weekends in general? I didn't find it bad last year.

Beachy - which road is designated "The Snake"? I've heard of "The Dragon" (not ridden), "Devil's Whip" (Ridden - great road!), Diamondback (ridden - but what I hear is now unfortunately trashed!) but I don't recall the "Snake"......

You're not too far from us in Concord! I'm sure we've probably passed one another at some point in time! lol

Beachy - which road is designated "The Snake"? I've heard of "The Dragon" (not ridden), "Devil's Whip" (Ridden - great road!), Diamondback (ridden - but what I hear is now unfortunately trashed!) but I don't recall the "Snake"......You're not too far from us in Concord! I'm sure we've probably passed one another at some point in time! lol
snakesmallphoto_zps9f1b852a.jpg

if you were on 421 going north thru Mountain City tn the road makes a left about 3 or 4 mi out of town starts about a mile from there Shady Valley is about the half way point thats where the store is

Is there something else going on that weekend, or is that a comment about weekends in general? I didn't find it bad last year.
Cherohala Skyway sounds like my cup of tea! We'll talk at one of the liquid refreshment stands at the hotel. I'd like to tag along and enjoy that ride. :)

NC-80 is very doable from Maggie Valley for most. NC-80 at NC-70 Especially when you consider Lee's twisted sense of humor with create routes, like his "EOM 500" from last year...
Oh No Extreme! Not the "EOM 500"?!?! Luvtoride's quote from last year sent chills up my spine. "Just like an ugly women, that 500 mile route has 10 foot pole marks all over it". :))

For those of you who are looking at riding the snake (ie 421), or maybe hitting it on your way down, the north end continues up to Bristol, Tennessee. Bristol has a camera speed trap where the speed limit drops for no apparent reason and a ticket shows up in your mailbox when you get home. Pay very close attention to the speed limit if you go near Bristol.