EOM 2015 - Location Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I count since I've missed the past two EOMs, but I do fondly remember the ones that were in Lewisburg, WV. Completely surrounded by awesome roads and just enough of a city to have all the amenities.

I know that the Brier Inn is now a Fairfield Inn (by Marriott) but they do have a perfect facility for an EOM type of meeting. Their normal prices are $129 a night, but maybe they would give a group rate for a group of this size? Only problem is that the bigger holding companies (like Marriott) tend to have some pretty rough policies. If not there are plenty of other places nearby that would likely serve just as well.

In fact, there is a Quality Inn right next door to the Fairfield that seem like they would have what it takes and their regular rates are down around $80 / night. And, there is also a Super 8 next door for overflow (or cheaper rates). But neither of those would have the big meeting room for a banquet.

Finding a Mom and Pop place that is large enough for an EOM is a real challenge.

You could always have it up in Vermont!

(Oh no... did I just say that?
tonguesmiley.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brier Inn is the Quality Inn. Just stayed there a month ago.

It's still run by the same folks... just different owners.

I "think" the double rooms are somewhere around $89.00 a night... or similar. Don't remember.

Personally, I liked the Lewisburg, WV meets the best.

They had a large contingent of Asplundh (& I forgot the name of the railroad co.) workers staying there.

Oh, OK, I got them mixed up on Google maps then.

I think Quality Inn would be easier to work with than a Marriott, (Choice Hotels do give AMA members a 15% discount!!)

And like I said, they already had everything we would require in terms of facilities (meeting rooms, dining on site, and close by altrernative dining options, gas station right across the street. etc.) unless they have changed things since '09.

Not that this would sway anyone in the planning department, but I'd sure be looking hard at another Lewisburg, WV boondoggle.

Still the same Fred. The bar is still called The Brier Patch, too.

IMHO the Comfort Inn (ex-Brier) is one of the most comfortable motels I ever stayed at and it is a great place for a rally. However, I thought they had taken themselves out of the market for an EOM. If they are available then they would be my first choice.

** I edited to remove off topic (RD) content

As I said, I would not let my distaste or experience prevent an event from happening in VA...

& I see your comment above Wayne. Perhaps you & Greg should practice the self control route next time that you're in VA. I think the whole radar detector this is absolutely silly. (from a resident of the horrible state that hasn't had a ticket in YEARS... & speeds everyday)
Heidi...I think they target out of state plates.

The map that everyone is quoting pretty much has LewisburgWV dead in the cross hairs. If people don't mind the BTDT do-over, it would take some minor recon riding to refresh the routes, but I have a huge library of routes built for those prior EOMs.

Guess it all comes down to how much you want to pull EOM northward versus southward. The NorthGA mountains have a strong tourist support system, much more than LewisburgWV. I'm betting it all comes down to who steps up to the plate and accepts the burden of organization. It takes a lot of effort.

My radar detector is no longer readily removable, and I would have a serious problem staying any place that required it to be hidden. Don't mind riding through VA, but I tend to stay clear of the VA interstate system to avoid confronting Mr. Officer Sir about my electronics package.

In other words... removing my RD is a total PITA that I would much rather avoid.

I like Lewisburg as well. It holds a special place in my heart - it was the gateway to meeting many of my close friends that reside here. It's a player, for sure.

The NorthGA mountains have a strong tourist support system, much more than LewisburgWV. I'm betting it all comes down to who steps up to the plate and accepts the burden of organization. It takes a lot of effort.
We'll step up on N GA if that's how the decision goes. Helen is not the right place for the time of year but there are plenty of other charming towns to choose from.

I will vote for something that isn't N GA because it's effectively Maggie Valley Lite. You can ride all the N GA highlights in a day. After that you're on the same roads you'd ride from MV but you've given up the option to hit Hot Springs, Roan Mountain, Mt Mitchell, etc.

I rode to Lewisburg with a group of 7 other Pittsburgh riders and stayed at the Quality Inn on the way to EOM. My rate last weekend was $75 for a room with 2-queens. Tax added about another $9. Rooms with a single King are $10 less right now, and that doesn't consider potential group rates. The quality of the beds and the condition of rooms is a significant step up from what I had at Maggie Valley Inn. Good walking access to restaurants, and an upgrade option to a Hampton Inn next door. No shortage of rooms or roads in Lewisburg.

I would have to go with Lewisburg...after following Jim Meadows (spklbuk) around the SE part of WV and the Shenandoah Valley a few weeks ago, that whole area is pretty incredible.

You could always have it up in Vermont!

(Oh no... did I just say that?
tonguesmiley.gif
)
Just like NAFO and CFR rotate, why couldn't EOM rotate North, mid and South?
No, I was really only just kidding. We hammered that point out several years ago. EOM belongs exactly where it has been, traditionally, and that is in the mountainous areas in the states of NC, TN, KY, WV, VA .

The South has their SFO and we North-Easterners have NERDS (if anyone ever organizes another one) and CFR when it is in the east. Being in those Central Atlantic states opens it up to anyone on the entire east coast. The further North or South you go cuts one of the groups out out.

If you look at a map, those 5 states are the area that is equidistant (~1000 miles) from either Florida or Northern New England. And there isn't any better riding area east of the Mississippi River, IMO.