FJR Resale Value

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 abs and really like the '06. I would like to wait another year so the aftermarket can catch up to the new model. However, my concern is mileage and how it affects my bike's resale one year from now. I currently have 19.5K miles. If I wait another year, my bike would have around 40K. How difficult would it be to sell a 40K sport tourer? I come from a cruiser background, so it's a totally different perception on 'average mileage'. A 40K miles cruiser would not sell easily without being heavily discounted. On the other hand, Beemer folks don't seem too bothered by 40K miles. What about the FJR community? Would it make sense to trade up now while the bike has around 20K, or am I already in the 'high mileage / low resale value' category?

Thanks,

-Ken

I think if you had the extended warranty, people would be more inclined to pay a price you set that is fair market value, regardless of high mileage.

If you check the price of resale Beemers, you would find that the high mileage ones, while not necessarily being precluded from resale, will take an awful large price hit. On the other hand, there are a lot of low mileage beemers for sale, and the resale on them is also not so good. A buddy of mine put 200,000 miles on an 02 1150RT, and when he was finished he sold it for scrap. A little more in the normal realm, and a 2 year old one with 40K on it will probably bring less than half of the initial sales price.

I wouldn't want to have to correlate FJR's with BMW's in the resale department. I would hope that the percentage realized would be better than the german bikes, although the dollar price would probably be less since the FJR is not as expensive to purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think an high milage FJR would be like a high milage Gold Thing. I have no idea how Gold Things hold their value.

I would think an high milage FJR would be like a high milage Gold Thing. I have no idea how Gold Things hold their value.
98se (top of the line GL1500 Wing) bought new in 99 for $17,000.00. Sold 3 years later (2002 with 60,000 miles on it) for $11,500.00.

This was while the GL1500 remained the current version. Any time there are significant upgrades to a product line (like the GL1800) the market tends to drop the resale of the previous version. Whether the market will see 2006 as "significant" is yet to be seen but it would reasonable to assume so.

That's why it behooves a buyed to get the best price they can so that, at resale time, they retain more of the value based on average retail price and depreciation.

Bottom line is,, if you're buying a bike to resale, then you're in the wrong line of work. You'll either end up not riding it like you want or trading too frequently. Both will negatively impact the the use of the bike (which is what owning bikes is about... using them).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, to me yours already has high mileage? These bikes seem to take a big hit even with a few thousand miles on them. With the type of miles you are referring to maybe you should just keep it till it is run into the ground? It might be interesting to start a poll here and ask who would by an FJR with 40,000 miles on it at any price?? :unsure:

If it makes you feel any better, I have 26,000 miles on my 05 FJR. I had the same question about resale. Then I decided heck, I already put speigler brake and clutch lines on, and an ohlin rear shock not to mention several other items. Gotta keep her as my guess is there are a lot more good miles in her. I don't seem to have the heat problems others talk about and haven't developed any abnormal engine noises. She's been a good bike. Great bike!

Still, I had to have the 06 AE model so there will be two FJRJ's in the garage (well one at a time) come May!

Good luck on the sale of your bike if you elect to get rid of her.

I was wondering the same thing about milage,,I have 8300 since May and expect that my milage will decrease some this winter,, not a lot ,, but some ,, and I want to sell or trade my 05 for an 06 ,, I am selling one of my other bikes to raise cash to buy a Roadliner S next month ,,

When I traded my HOT '03 FJR after @ 8 months of ownership with maybe 6K miles and Y.E.S. for an '02 BMW R1150GS....well, can you say...eat it? When I traded the beemer for an ST1300-dealer got a buy figure from the BMW shop in Grand Rapids, MI...what resale? You want resale...buy a Duesenberg or Mopar HEMI anything from the 60s-70s...otherwise...enjoy the bike and grab urr wallet at trade time! Trading late model bikes is a winner for the dealers..not the owners, IMho and oh so painfully (75 bikes owned and waiting for my '06 FJR 1300A)expieranced opinion! DFO :dribble:

Good Lord,

Aren't any of you guys married or are your wives as gaga about yer bikes as you are? I love my wife but something tells me that if I told her I was trading in my O5 for an O6 she would have some unpleasant things to say about other parts of my future. :rolleyes: Good thing I love my bike cause i will probably be on this one til the day I die.

Good Lord,
Aren't any of you guys married or are your wives as gaga about yer bikes as you are?  I love my wife but something tells me that if I told her I was trading in my O5 for an O6 she would have some unpleasant things to say about other parts of my future. :rolleyes: Good thing I love my bike cause i will probably be on this one til the day I die.
I was thinking the same thing :p !

Best Regards,

Shane

Good Lord,
Aren't any of you guys married or are your wives as gaga about yer bikes as you are? I love my wife but something tells me that if I told her I was trading in my O5 for an O6 she would have some unpleasant things to say about other parts of my future. :rolleyes: Good thing I love my bike cause i will probably be on this one til the day I die.
In common parlance, that's known as pussy whipped. :assasin: :alien:

I had a 91 wing I bought in Feb 01 rode the new 1800 in may bought my 1800 in Nov 01 it courrently has 91,000 miles on and resides in my garage on the otherhand my 04 FJR has 50,000 miles and to many farkles to make me want to buy new again. :p

rogerfjrfaster :eek:

I had a 91 wing I bought in Feb 01 rode the new 1800 in may bought my 1800 in Nov 01 it courrently has 91,000 miles on and resides in my garage on the otherhand my 04 FJR has 50,000 miles and to many farkles to make me want to buy new again. :p                                         rogerfjrfaster :eek:
I know what you mean on the wing (GL1800/A)! I finally got her finished and there is NO WAY I am getting rid of her until she won't run anymore ;) !

This is the final 'accessorizing' list:

www.StumpWare.com/SerpentSlayerAccessories.pdf

Best Regards,

Shane