FJR Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson

Reaction score
At the WFO banquet I was talking to one of the Yamaha reps that led the demo rides on the new Yamaha bikes. We were talking about the worst riders and the wierdest happenings he's seen on demo rides over the years. He then said that the FJR owners at WFO, as a group, were the most skilled riders he has seen on demo rides.

He seemed serious and sincere, and I had no reason to not believe him.

I don't know all of the events that they go to, but probably most of them are rallys for any and all kinds of bikes and bike riders. Few are probably exclusively for sport bike or sport/touring riders. And I might be taking a leap of faith here, but I'm guessing that sport and sport/touring riders are generally more prone to push the envelope, more so than the typical cruiser rider.

After doing some research, I found this:

Here is a partial list of some of the events Yamaha goes to where they offer demo rides.

I have seen those guys three times since July. Hollister, Ca., Park City, and Sturgis. After talking with them on most related motorcycle topics, their opinion is that the FJR group seemed the most knowledgeable of any group and that the FJR was the most ready LD group they had seen. And tis from two guys that have finished four Iron Butts each.

I have seen those guys three times since July. Hollister, Ca., Park City, and Sturgis. After talking with them on most related motorcycle topics, their opinion is that the FJR group seemed the most knowledgeable of any group and that the FJR was the most ready LD group they had seen. And tis from two guys that have finished four Iron Butts each.

I think that statement might have been true in the first year or so of the FJR introduction into the states, however I would have to say that there is a wide variety of riding skills, backgrounds and experiences in the FJR community today.

Some have come over from the sport-touring crowd, some from the cruiser crowd, and some from no crowd at all but coming back into bikes from a long layoff...

In any event, I have found that the vast majority of FJR riders are great to be with and fun to ride with...one of the best things about this bike (besides the horsepower and LD capability) are the great people that you meet. :clapping:

I enjoyed visiting with the Yamaha crew that demos the bikes. I just found it interesting that of all their travels and association with different riders from different bikes and ways of life that the FJR group was singled out for their knowledge and riding abilities. And the guys that lead the rides are lifetime, hardcore riders. Just an observation.

That seems a little self-serving to me. With cash or credit anyone can own an FJR - and probably does.

That seems a little self-serving to me. With cash or credit anyone can own an FJR - and probably does.
your totally right. any yahoo can buy an fjr. i was at this table and heard this whole conversation. this was an older gentleman talking and he really did seem sincere. i didn't detect any ass kissin on his part. i wonder if maybe after being at Leguna Seca the previous weekend, if that coming to WFO is a very nice contrast for them.

your totally right. any yahoo can buy an fjr. i was at this table and heard this whole conversation. this was an older gentleman talking and he really did seem sincere. i didn't detect any ass kissin on his part. i wonder if maybe after being at Leguna Seca the previous weekend, if that coming to WFO is a very nice contrast for them.
I agree with this also.

However, it seemed that most of the yahoos did not join us at WFO. I don't think many Yahoos want to hang out with us, maybe we are to safe. Or, it could be the yahoos don't want to be around grown men who blow on condoms. But, then again I don't care to hang around the them. I was recently invited to a bike night and ride at a local restaurant by a co-worker and it was a bunch of dorks who I was amazed their luck had not ran out by now.

I do agree there are many bad riders on FJRs. I am just glad I did not meet any at WFO.

...and if we're so good,then why so many crash club members? :rolleyes:

LOL, yeah I am a member of that club (AND the member of I bought sliders, neglected to install them until AFTER I dropped the bike)

picard_facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I miss the PDP, look at all the riffraff we have around here now, used to be an exclusive club. :( :D
Oh that ain't the half of it! What about ALL those that bought Gen II's? Pussies!

We used to be "tough", we slept in ponds! :Snorkle:

I know you guys are familiar(?) with Monty Python's album "The Final Rip-off". Here's the "excerpt" I am referring to;

Four Yorkshiremen

Michael: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier, eh Josiah?

Terry J: You're right there Obediah.

Eric: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?

Michael: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

Graham: A cup o' COLD tea.

Eric: Without milk or sugar.

Terry J: OR tea!

Michael: In a cracked cup, and all.

Eric: We never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Graham: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Terry J: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Michael: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

Eric: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

Graham: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

Terry J: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

Michael: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

Eric: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpolin, it was a house to US.

Graham: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

Terry J: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Michael: Cardboard box?

Terry J: Aye.

Michael: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in week out, for sixpence a week. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Graham: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hour a day at the mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Terry J: Well of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Eric: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Michael: And you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

All: They won't..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, any yahoo CAN buy a feejer, but DO THEY? I think not. FJRs don't make really nice magazine numbers.

The FJR isn't a bike you buy for your ego. It's a bike you buy because you know you want to ride......... sometimes fast, sometimes far.

These things aren't GSXRs and they're not neo-DP boatanchors.

These things are farkled by hand, creatively, and almost never from a catalog.

They're motorcycles, not personal accessories.

I bought a FJR for the latest technology, sleek and clean design

and very functional, not a bulky exposed frame and jugs like a

Beemer, not all Eurotrashed like a Kawasaki, and not a pain

in the ass noisy like the over rated pile of American Iron

that needs only a silver pony tail and swagger to identify.

Like my '77 XS750e and '78 XS 1100, they were the latest in

technology advancement. shaft drive, hydraulic disc brakes, and

smooth running, well, up to about 64mph...

the FJR is shaft drive, fuel injected, hydraulic brakes and clutch,

liquid cooled, electric windshield and even has ducting engine

heat fairing, matching key and go touring koffins, is purty to the

eye and eats up corners like it was made to scrap cases,,,,

and the AE model even has made for morons electric shifting..

it may even come out with remote electric start, Onstar and XM

Radio, and oh, when they get the air conditioning for the port side,,,,

I'm gonna get mine with 12v blender....

FWFE

Hey....once we're all done jerking each other off can we talk about how I'm going to clean up my ant infested back yard?