FJR saddle bag lid replacement? Any option but to order an entire new bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clovis

Reaction score
I had nice spill last summer and ginded both of my bags.

It's just cosmetic, to the lids only. I've looked off and on for months for a replacement option.

It looks like Yamaha sells every part solo except the LID so unless I'm mistaken the only option is to buy a whole new replacement saddle bag at around $500 per bag?

If that's the case I would either just leave them be or order Givi bags. The stock bags weigh a good 15-20lbs each, EMPTY! :)

Questions:

1) Is it possible to order just the colored lids? Or even just a black lid?

2) Which GIVI bags and mounting rack will fit? I have a Givi top box mount (and that's all I really use but I need the side bags when my wife comes along).

Thanks,

Clovis

1) Is it possible to order just the colored lids? Or even just a black lid?
Nope. Not from Yamaha. Chances of finding lids used is fairly remote, but not impossible.

Most others that have grinding experiences instead send things off to Garauld for repair if it's structurally still there.

I have a right side bag off my 2007 I could sell you, but you'd need the left, and you may need to get it painted go match your bike. It also not perfect.

However, if your bags are not broken, PM Garauld about painting them. He does great work, and its cheaper than buying new bags.

The bags were downed a few times on my bike before I bought it. Helped me get it cheap. I ordered 3 rattle cans of color from https://www.colorrite.com and got a few cans of clear locally. Sanded everything smooth, masked everything off and sprayed them myself. Came out better than a 1 foot job, but I still need to do a final polish to make them perfect. Total cost was just over $100 and my time.

The lid themselves are cracked on one side. The bag itself (under the lid) is intact and fine. I could take the lids off and repaint them but they would still have some parts where the plastic is cracked/broken.

I'm hoping someone has a way of getting the lid only replaced :) Otherwise I would assume just either live with it or get a set of Givi bags to go with my Givi top case.

The top case (46L and 32L) are large enough for my day and 3 day trips. But when my wife comes she needs the side cases ;)

Cracked lids can be repaired with plastic welding as long as they aren't too severly damaged.
thumbsup.gif

if your not up to the job,than take them to a reputable body shop.

any body man can work plastic and make it look new. Have same shop's

painter repaint the factory color.

The bags were downed a few times on my bike before I bought it. Helped me get it cheap. I ordered 3 rattle cans of color from https://www.colorrite.com and got a few cans of clear locally. Sanded everything smooth, masked everything off and sprayed them myself. Came out better than a 1 foot job, but I still need to do a final polish to make them perfect. Total cost was just over $100 and my time.
How did you feel about the color matching? I have heard some mixed reviews.

I used Colorrite aerosol paint a few months ago on a chin fairing for my FZ1. Fairing was black, needed to be Yamaha Blue. My .02 - great product but a bit spendy. At $130, I paid more for the paint than I did for the fairing. I used their system that includes primer, adhesion promoter, basecoat and clearcoat, sandpaper, cleaner. Prep work and patience was key. Best rattle can paint I've seem. Color match was spot on. Cut and buff wasn't necessary. Even my uber critical brother said it looked factory. YMMV

I used Colorrite aerosol paint a few months ago on a chin fairing for my FZ1. Fairing was black, needed to be Yamaha Blue. My .02 - great product but a bit spendy. At $130, I paid more for the paint than I did for the fairing. I used their system that includes primer, adhesion promoter, basecoat and clearcoat, sandpaper, cleaner. Prep work and patience was key. Best rattle can paint I've seem. Color match was spot on. Cut and buff wasn't necessary. Even my uber critical brother said it looked factory. YMMV
That's great to hear. I have 2 bags lids that need to be repainted.

Colorrite was a good match for my 07 too. I repainted both bag lids, a mirror and the grab handles/luggage rack. As with most base coats, particularly metallics and pearls, you can't really tell how it's going to come out until you get a couple coats of clear on top. By I think things came out swell.

I have had mixed success with Colorrite. For instance, their '05 Galaxy is way too blue when comparing it to a factory-painted part. I need to add more purple toner to it before I spray it. Their Black Cherry is very close. Their Liquid Silver is not as speckly as the factory finish. I've tried using the local paint shop to scan and mix up batches for me and they never came out as close as Colorrite did, so now I only buy Colorrite even if the 2013 pint I just bought cost $140.
mellow.png

If anyone needs just the right hand lid PM me. I bought a whole bag for the back side. What I have is a scratched black lid no locks that I will let go cheap plus shipping. It is not cracked.

Scooper