flashing red ABS light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course. It's 2012, 2nd gen, I believe. I will ride somewhere, and it will blink, then I'll stop, go again, and will will go out. until... it does the same the next day. stop for a day, then more later

Ride conditions are dry, sunny. FJR has 100,000 miles plus, all mine. 6000 miles on EBC brake pads currently. I am very EASY on brakes

I'm thinking one of the ABS "sensors" needs replacement.

It would be nice if the light flashed only when it needed new brake pad, but the current pads aren't worn down much at all.

Thank you for even reading this post.

I

How long since you flushed/bled brakes?
Have you used the jumper to test function of ABS and have you tested them on a wet/sandy road?
How long since the rear brake pedal pivot has been cleaned/lubed?
Have you removed and cleaned the ABS wheel sensor?

I would start with the above...

How long since you flushed/bled brakes?
Have you used the jumper to test function of ABS and have you tested them on a wet/sandy road?
How long since the rear brake pedal pivot has been cleaned/lubed?
Have you removed and cleaned the ABS wheel sensor?

I would start with the above...
I replied to this, i think, but maybe i didn't post...
... replace brake fluid every summer
... i know what a jumper is on a computer, not on an FJR
... I'm not skilled enough to simulate a skid on a sandy road.
... oiled rear brake pedal last summer...worth checking that.
... never cleaned the sensor. (I'm hoping that's it)

I'm sending your thoughtful check list to my mechanic. I'm guessing the brake is not releasing since I've had the vague feeling that it's not been coasting around a corner like i'm used to.
Thank you for the many useful suggestions. :)
---
---

Rear brake pedal really needs to be disassembled, cleaned and greased - oil may not do it for long. In any case, worth having a look.
There is a diagnostic plug (or a simple jumper) that can be used to activate ABS. Have a look here
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/test-and-maintain-your-abs-system.136000/#post-834610
Unfortunately, some of the photos are MIA and the author is no longer with us (RIP, ionbeam).
A bit intimidating, but ABS activation on a sandy surface is pretty benign. You should probably try - at least so you aren't taken by surprise at some point when you need it. Test coupler wire is in front of the battery - white socket ...
1706828706525.png

Yes you are. But here is a photo of the connector and roughly it's position in front of the battery compartment that ScooterG posted. And here is a YouTube video posted by Two Wheeled Obsession giving the whole run down.
Much better photo than the one I found. TWO video is for a 2014 Gen III, but I think it should be the same as the Gen II ionbeam discussed in the link I referenced.
Rather than the proper jumper, I simply used a small alligator clip across the two pins. (spring was weak enough that I didn't bend pins) Or use a test lead with small alligator clips on each end as per the photo I posted.

As @harper said, don't be afraid to grab a handful of brake (or stomp on the pedal). Better to know what to expect while learning under controlled conditions.

If it's coasting well and the brake pedal is well lubed (assuming the front lever has free movement too) it might be time to check for a caliper piston that is hanging up, from dirty caliper piston and/or seal. You can easily check this by taking a look at the pads in each caliper. If one is worn way more than the other, BAM, you either found the problem OR maintenance that needed to be done before it hangs up on the highway and leaves you stranded. Hope that helps too.

To cap it all off....

I was able to link my mechanic to these posts, and he was happy to check all the items listed like brake fluid and cleaning the sensors, oiling the brake pedal.

No one likes trying to hunt down a problem you can't duplicate in the garage, but I haven't seen the light in 100 miles now.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It really did help!

Thanks for the follow-up. Always nice to find a "smoking gun", but consider an apparent fix (for whatever reason) to be a win.
Regarding the brake pedal, that service (remove, clean and lube) should be done at least annually and I recommend a good waterproof synthetic grease. Oil won't hold up as long.

Good luck!