• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen II Luggage Racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well gang, the R&D dept has come up with a smaller version along with it's variants of the above rack for '06, '07 and ... models. These are available in satin black powdercoat or painted to match. The backrest pad shown is the standard offering, although I may be able to affix a different one of your choosing. Cost will be a bit cheaper than the larger one shown in the above posts.
The overall width is just over 11" and it protrudes beyond the stock tail shelf by about 2-1/2". If you want one, send me a PM, but please be patient. If you need a rack in a hurry, check out the offerings from OHFJR.

Thanks! B)

P3030427.jpg

P2260422.jpg
I really like that!!

I'm still on the fence about what to do with my '07.

I ride solo 499 times out of 500. My wife rides with me 1 or 2 day trips/yr so I'm looking for a combo of added storage area and backrest for occasional passenger.

I just returned from a 4.5 day 2000 mile ride with a tailbag strapped to the rear seat and a large Nelson Rigg tankbag but still could have used more space. I had a Givi Trunk on my ST1300 and my wife wasn't crazy about the comfort/pad and I didn't like the high weight that affected the ride when riding solo so I'm thinking one of these racks.

I like the CL150 tailbag in the previous post and wonder if it would still fit on this smaller rack. I think the smaller rack would look better on the bike when I didn't have anything on it (which would be most of the time).

How much for the smaller rack with backrest and how long to wait?

Thanks for the great products and choices !!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Well gang, the R&D dept has come up with a smaller version along with it's variants of the above rack for '06, '07 and ... models. These are available in satin black powdercoat or painted to match. The backrest pad shown is the standard offering, although I may be able to affix a different one of your choosing. Cost will be a bit cheaper than the larger one shown in the above posts.
The overall width is just over 11" and it protrudes beyond the stock tail shelf by about 2-1/2". If you want one, send me a PM, but please be patient. If you need a rack in a hurry, check out the offerings from OHFJR.

Thanks! B)

P3030427.jpg

P2260422.jpg

Hello Gary.

How much is the small satin black version with the back rest?

Mine is 06 with custom black paint job.

Could you give me the cost and payment instruction?

Thanks

Jim

Hey there,

Also interested in a smaller one with a back rest. My machine's a 1st gen, however. Would need it in liquid silver... And thanks!

John.

Just want to plug Gary & his workmanship. I just installed his rack & backrest on my 2007, and it is incredible. The installation took all of 10 minutes & it looks first rate. (Picky coming soon). I put Nelson Rigg & Tombstone bags on it (also pic coming soon), and they fit like a glove & also look pretty darn good. I figure that the rack/backrest combo has effectively doubled (or possibly tripled) my solo carrying capacity. For thems that are doing serious miles & want the extra space, you can't, simply can't go wrong with Gary's rack & back rest. Also, for those who want to do some two-up tent camping, definitely get the rack.

Best,

-Andrew

Just a few pics of how Gary's rack & backrest (kinda covered up) work with my Nelson Rigg EXP-200 Expandable Tail Pack. Did 200 miles two up sans saddle bags yesterday, & my pillion loved the backrest & the ease of having her rainsuit, cell phone, camera, beach towels, picnic lunch, sunscreen, extra clothes, a book, and 1.5 liters of water in a single bag on the rack behind us.

(In case you're ever in the vicinity of the FL Big Bend--Gulf Coast in the arm pit of the state, you must check out FL SR 361: it's a scenic loop that takes you past Hagen's Cove, Keaton Beach, and Deckle Beach. No traffic, good road surface, some decent twisties--for FL--beaches, and wildlife.)

keatonbeach002.jpg

keatonbeach007.jpg

keatonbeach016.jpg

I just got mine the other day. It's for an '07 and it looks great. I have back rest attached as well. Very impressive quality here. Love the paint job.

Thanks again!

Back towards the end of May I decided I'd like to get a rear rack to carry a bag on instead of investing in the costly Yamaha bag that probably wouldn't hold as much or be as versatile as some soft luggage that's out there, and really wouldn't get used that much. What I really needed was a back rest which would probably get used quite a bit. I didn't really want to have to install the Yamaha bag everytime I did a two up ride and needed the back rest either. What I really wanted was a rack and back rest that could be used either / or, or together.

So, I looked around and Gary's stuff always had stuck out. He offered the rack and a rack and back rest. But he didn't offer exactly what I wanted, but said he could probably do one but it would be a first. I knew his customer service was great having had him powder coat my skyway CC and radar detector mount. So I contacted him and the back log would mean a 12-13 week wait. Wow! OK then. He said to let him know if interested and to be honest I forgot. About 10 weeks later, coming up to a weekend trip I had planned for the Labor Day weekend I remembered I hadn't actually told Gary to put me on the list, thinking now I may be waiting 12-13 weeks longer.

Nope, he had me on the list, but when I contacted him it was like two weeks before my trip. He made sure the rack / back rest were done and sent to me in time to get it installed for the trip. The guy even CALLED me up to be sure it delivered and I was happy with it! There's been a lot of good things said about Gary and his work and it's all true! The rack is beautifully done and his personal interest in customer service says a lot about the guy and his work.

Here's some pictures of my Garauld one off combination rack / back rest, or rack, or back rest. :)

Back%20rest2.jpg

rack2.jpg

back%20rest%20-%20rack2.jpg

Thanks Gary for the great work and meeting my needs. The better half loves the back rest. I tried the Nelson Rigg CL 150 on the rack and wasn't happy with the fit. The straps wanted to bend the back over the back of the rack, so I'm looking for something that's base will fit the dimensions of the rack better. The CL 150 is a great, versatile bag though.

Another satisfied customer here.

I got the smaller "Sport Rack" &

it was just what I needed.

Thanks again Gary...excellent product. :clapping:

Just got my mini rack and backrest from Gary, and like all the previous posts, it's perfect. Paint is perfect match with my 07, and the craftsman ship is wonderful. Gary even includes a personal note in the box, which btw is as good as the product, no cheap "lets see what I can find in the garage" packaging.

Great product Gary, thanks!!!!

Hate to cover it up with a top case though, another dilemma!!!

Hi Gary. I'm new to this forum, WOW what a great community!

Could you fabricate one of your large racks to accomodate a Hepco & Becker Journey TC40 topcase?

I could send you the rack from my Buell Uly if that will help!

Having recently acquired one of Gary's sportracks & a pair of his light mounts, I am compelled to keep this thread rollin'!! ...Excellent work Gary! :clapping:

Aside from the fact that Gary is very personable & truly easy to do business with, I must say am extremely impressed with his products!

I have gathered from my reading on the Forum that this may not be Gary's main gig or primary source of income, but rather his sideline. Part-time ventures are often [& occasionally justifiably] equated with amateurish products. You would be very sorely mistaken to make that assumption in this case, as there is nothing even remotely amateurish about these products!

Where the design, execution, attention to detail, & quality control of these tasty pieces is concerned; you can expect no less than top rate professional quality judging from my experience! It's always such a pleasure to find someone who is keeping real craftsmanship alive [perhaps the appropriate term hereabouts would be a "Master Farklemeister"] within the fraternity surrounding our own particular obsession.

So, if you've been scoping out Gary's goodies but just haven't jumped on 'em yet, ...I've gotta suggest you do yourself a big favor & just pull the trigger! I can't for an instant see how you'd be less than completely satisfied!

Wow, thanks for the really nice comments - you made my day! :rolleyes: I do try and make every one of these as if I was going to mount it on my bike - come to think of it - I have one on my bike... :blink: Thanks to all of those who are patiently waiting for theirs - I'm trying to get them done afap...

Fan-friggn-tastic. Now the SO has a place to relax!

The paint is unbelieveable, definitely happy with the product! Quick turn around to boot, thanks a ton Gary!

If you ever get to making stuffs for C-14's I'm telling my brother to buy from you!

Wow, thanks for the really nice comments - you made my day! :rolleyes: I do try and make every one of these as if I was going to mount it on my bike - come to think of it - I have one on my bike... :blink: Thanks to all of those who are patiently waiting for theirs - I'm trying to get them done afap...

Keep rockin' Bro.

I got all the time in the world. Thinking (hoping) it will be one hell of an Xmas gift or a great start to the new year.

Capt. Bob

I want to add that Gary is truly a class act. Not only is the rack and backrest great in quality and craftsmanship, but just in the past week Gary asked how the purchase was that I made over a year ago, and wondered if I had any feedback, comments or suggestions for improvement after using his rack for a while. THAT is customer service! Anybody considering one of Gary's products should give it serious consideration if it fits your needs.

Another satisfied customer with Garauld's rack:

The workmanship is excellent (welds, materials, and powdercoating), kitting of parts excellent, packaging and shipping excellent.

Installation was simple and uneventful.

I received my rack from Gary today. As others have said, the workmanship and paint match are excellent. I also added Gary's hand guard deflectors and they keep the finger tips warmer in the 35F cold here in Virginia. I waited in line for a few months for this rack and it was definitely worth the wait.

Gary,

I just wanted to thank you for a great product. Its exactly what I wanted and took all of 5 minutes to install. Most of that time was looking for a socket. The workmanship is excellent. :clapping:

To All,

I received my min-rack and backrest from Gary. This is his design where the two are separate and can be use together or separately. I ordered mine painted dark cherry to match my 2007 FJR.

I am just stunned by his attention to detail and his craftsmanship. It is little things like how he cuts recesses into the rack plate where the spacers go so that the rack is level but the spacers are also level. It is much stronger this way versus cutting the spacers at an angle.

The spacers are painted and as nice as the rack and backrest. His welds very nice, the paint awesome and the upholstery is fantastic. He included what appears to be stainless hardware for mounting and detailed instructions on exactly how to mount things with his phone number if there were issues.

I am *very* pleased with my purchase.

:yahoo:

Mark Monroe

Harrisburg NC

Got my rack from Gary a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to taking pictures.

What a beautiful peace of work. :)

IMG_0001_2.jpg

IMG_0002_2.jpg

IMG_0004_2.jpg

Thanks Gary!

Latest posts