• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen II Luggage Racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garauld,

Fred’s idea sounds good to me too. I like the idea of a four bar “mini”: with a backrest for my wife. However, I would prefer the outside bar of the “mini” to parallel the outside edge of the OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Folks...
I am a bit tardy in posting this, but I got hung up having some friggin' surgery done, damn it!

But one of the nicest things I found waiting when I got home was one of Gary's racks and backrests in 2006 Cobalt Blue. I had ordered one a couple of months ago and it made a nice welcome home present to myself!

Because of the required recovery time I have not gotten to ride with the rack/backrest set-up yet, but here are a few notes about my initial impressions of Gary's work...

WOW!

I mean it. Wow!

Gary's workmanship, fit, and finish are absolutely outstanding. Beautiful welds, flawless design, close tolerances yet perfect fit, spot-on paint matching (I got mine painted Cobalt Blue to match my '06), and truly first-class hardware. I simply couldn't be happier.

To be a bit more detailed... I have been fortunate enough to work around some of the very best race car fabricators in the world, and Gary's skill with tubing and a welder are second to none I have ever seen. It is one thing to make something tightly toleranced, while quite another to make sure that same piece lines up and bolts on without any alignment issues. Maybe I just got lucky, but Gery's rack fit my 2006 so perfectly that one would have sworn it was custom laid-out and produced on my bike. All three rack mounting holes lined up PERFECTLY! Not just close... Not needing a bit of pressure or tweaking... Nothing. Just perfect, flawless alignment, period. Add to this the fact that the rack is square and level, too. That may not sound like much, but how many times have you bolted on an aftermarket piece and have it looked tweaked right out of the box???

Not with Gary's rack/backrest, I assure you.

As Gary has pointed out, this rack far exceeds the capabilities of the lousy stock '06 rack... If for no other reason than you can actually carry something on it and tie it down. As I have been hobbling around my garage I have experimented with tying down all my various seat, rack, and duffle bags to Gary's rack and I am 110% positive it will perform its duties flawlessly. This is a product of good, sound, careful, and well reasoned design. After having it mounted I can say I wouldn't want to change a thing. I may buy a second one from him without the backrest mount... That's how highly I think of the design. And I honestly think the appearance of Gary's rack fits in perfectly with the styling of the Yamaha, and doesn't detract one bit. Mine will probably be a permanent resident on the back of my '06'

Another amazing thing is the literally perfect paint match to the 2006 Yamaha Cobalt Blue. Currently I own and operate a new car dealership, complete with full-service bodyshop... And I have been in and around the car and motorcycle business all my life. I know just how hard it is to get a paint match when you have the vehicle right there in front of you, and cannot imagine how difficult it has to be to get good paint matches when your customer's vehicle is clean across the country... Yet Gary did it, well... Perfectly. That's the only way to describe it - Perfectly.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea... I love my rack and backrest set-up I got from Gary, and I simply cannot recommend his work highly enough. I should also mention that despite his being overwhelmed with orders, and that causing a bit of a delay in final delivery, Gary never failed to keep my informed, nor to answer any inquiries I had about my order's progress. He was always cordial and courteous, and when he did ship the rack/backrest combo it was well packed, safely and securely, to make it's trip across the country to me.

If you are looking for a backrest and rack combo, or just one or the other, again I simply cannot recommend Gary's products highly enough. When you buy from Gary you get something that looks like it was hand-fabricated and custom-built just for your bike - probably because that's exactly what his products are - custom-built and hand-made just for you. Nothing you bolt to your FJR will draw more attention or get more admiring stares... At least that's what has happened as many of my riding buddies have dropped by during my recovery. They all look at Gary's rack/backrest and start asking questions about it, and many simply cannot believe it was built by a guy clean across the country. Most all think I had it custom-built locally and painted in our own bodyshop.

Now that's a compliment.

Gary, my sincerest THANKS for producing such a high quality product. I can't wait to see what else you build, just so I can buy it. For you other FJR Pilots... If you are on the fence about whether to try some of Gary's work, don't wait any longer. You'll only be sorry if you don't buy Gary's stuff. His work is that good.

Just FYI, and my two cents...

Thanks again, Gary!

Dallara
DITTO!!!!!!

I quote Dallara because I couldn't have said it better. :clapping: Garys' work is top notch, bar none!

I am very pleased with this rack and simply amazed with the high quality of the workmanship.

If you are considering a rack for your bike, I highly recommend this one from Gary. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Gary,

It was worth the wait. :yahoo:

Rob

Well, I gave Gary my money and in the mail arrives a peice of art. This rack is one of the best farkles I have put on my bike, not to mention the easiest to put on. Outstanding quality, paint matches perfect, the holes for the screws match perfect and it looks great on the bike. I doubt a large company could match the workmanship in this rack. THANKS GARY, JOB WELL DONE! :clapping:

Andy

Well, I gave Gary my money and in the mail arrives a peice of art. This rack is one of the best farkles I have put on my bike, not to mention the easiest to put on. Outstanding quality, paint matches perfect, the holes for the screws match perfect and it looks great on the bike. I doubt a large company could match the workmanship in this rack. THANKS GARY, JOB WELL DONE! :clapping:
Andy
Exact same experience and thoughts ! Awesome high quality farkle that will indeed be very useful compared to totally worthless stock "thing". BIG THANKS Gary ! :yahoo:

hi gary im interested in the back rest as well as the rack... but i have some enquiy to ask u ..

firstly how many different box can i fit in this rack??

how much for both the rack and the back rest as well as the post price to singapore as im here in singapore can u help me check it out...

and lastly can u do it in bike colour that is the dessert metalic is its term call in th 06 fjr modal... my term will be in gold or champaine...

anr bro can u email all this enquiry to my e mail.... [email protected]

thanks man

Gary does beautiful work. And he is the fairest guy to deal with. Took my old rack in on trade when I wanted the bigger one and was more than fair. And did a great job on powder coating some other items. Nice work Gary and if I need anything else powder coated, your the man. Thanks Again on Great Work.

devanator/Mike

same experience on rack for my 06-fit, product quality, and value received for money spent was outstanding and as stated earlier nice person to deal with and rack is just the right size for my use- looks factory on bike

I bought the Premier rack for my wifes bike, but it's an 07. For the 05 you have to do some drilling to make one fit, and I don't like that idea too much. So I have contacted Garauld, and ordered one of his with the backrest too. The Premier is nice for an 06, 07.

Got a new rack for the '06 from Gary today-- workmanship is excellent.
And with a Nelson Rigg CL150

IMG_2758.jpg

B)
Hey ZZZZIP,

How is that CL150 bag working out, are you happy with it. Does it buckle down to the rack well? It looks like the perfect size.

I like it, although I haven't been able to test it on long rides packed to the gills. I think it will be OK... it's been great for the local light load stuff.

I also found you could take the '06 rear seat off, secure the bungees under the seat, and ride with it on the rear seat, leaving the rack free for other stuff. Probably work with other years too.

B)

I got my rack from Gary yesterday, but have not installed it yet. Will likely wait until my revised seat arrives from Sargent. Gary's rack is great, and he provided fast service. Wifey likes it... important because it is mostly for her. :)

Well gang, the R&D dept has come up with a smaller version along with it's variants of the above rack for '06, '07 and ... models. These are available in satin black powdercoat or painted to match. The backrest pad shown is the standard offering, although I may be able to affix a different one of your choosing. Cost will be a bit cheaper than the larger one shown in the above posts.

The overall width is just over 11" and it protrudes beyond the stock tail shelf by about 2-1/2". If you want one, send me a PM, but please be patient. If you need a rack in a hurry, check out the offerings from OHFJR.

Thanks! B)

P3030427.jpg

P2260422.jpg

I just received one of Garauld’s powder coated racks for my ’06. The craftsmanship is way beyond my expectation. He aims to please and I have to say that it’s truly a piece of art. If you are thinking of ordering one, you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks Garauld!! :D

I just put one of Garauld's racks to the test. Last weekend my wife and I took a 640mi trip with a 30lb travel bag on the rack. I don't have a clue what the rack is rated for but it carried the load with no problem at all. With the rack loaded there was absolutely no flex. The rack preformed flawlessly. Great stuff Gary!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Just be cautious about loading up the back tail frame too much or you may get cracking as discussed in another recent thread.... :ermm:

- happy and safe riding!