Givi Luggage Rack advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shagomatic

Reaction score
I have been using a Garauld rack with a backrest on my 2008 for several years now with good result. My wife and I, however, are planning some longer trips and will be carrying more luggage. I am concerned about the weight of bags and subframe damage.

I have searched the forum and Google and have found many opinions. I still have some questions and was hoping for some additional information...

1. How much weight can you carry with a Givi mount that bolts to the area under the seat? (Givi 357?)

2. Will it interfere with my Russell seat?

3. Is there a flat plate attachment for the Givi so that I can strap a duffel like my Twisted Throttle D38 to it?

3. Is there a back rest attachment if you do not have the top case attached?

Thanks

Answers below

I have been using a Garauld rack with a backrest on my 2008 for several years now with good result. My wife and I, however, are planning some longer trips and will be carrying more luggage. I am concerned about the weight of bags and subframe damage.
I have searched the forum and Google and have found many opinions. I still have some questions and was hoping for some additional information...

1. How much weight can you carry with a Givi mount that bolts to the area under the seat? (Givi 357?) That depends on the kind of weight. Certainly a lot more than without the Givi. People have overloaded these racks a great deal past "spec" without failure.

2. Will it interfere with my Russell seat? That depends on how large the rear Russell seat is. My wife is small, so there is no interferrence. I have seen others that the rear wings rub severely on the Givi side rails.

3. Is there a flat plate attachment for the Givi so that I can strap a duffel like my Twisted Throttle D38 to it? There are none available from Givi. They want you to buy their trunks. You can remove the Givi adapter plate and substitute any number of flat plates to the Givi rick's frame.

3. Is there a back rest attachment if you do not have the top case attached? Not from Givi. But if you put a flat plate on the rack per abover there are a number of back rests available.

Thanks
We use the V46 trunk as both storage and backrest. There are even bigger trunks available. If you need to carry more than what fits into these giant trunks you may want to rethink packing strategies. If you are considering camping 2-up from an FJR (without towing a trailer), all I can do is wish you good luck. ;)

The SR357 and stock luggage rack side rail fit is very similar. I have both and use them with my Laam seat(s) w/o any interference issues...

YMMV

--G

The SR357 and stock luggage rack side rail fit is very similar. I have both and use them with my Laam seat(s) w/o any interference issues...
YMMV

--G
This has not been my experience - The Corbin Smuggler will fit fit with the OEM rails but will definitely not fit with the Givi SR357. Don't know about anything else fitting or not....................

YMMV

--G
This has not been my experience - The Corbin Smuggler will fit fit with the OEM rails but will definitely not fit with the Givi SR357. Don't know about anything else fitting or not....................

Not true on superior 1st gens. I have a Smuggler that fits on fine with my Givi SR rack.

YMMV

--G
No one said anything about a Smuggler. It's been well documented MANY times that it will only fit (on GEN IIs) using the OEM rack.
--G

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts