GPS location: Pros & Cons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN0351.jpg

I used to have mine where my cell phone is, but I just relocated it to the left mirror mount hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '06, I have a CB radio on the left hand side, and the GPS on the right hand side. It is MUCH easier to check my speed with the GPS since the standard Speedo and tach are very difficult to see in most lighting conditions. Who decided to use white on black for these important pieces of information?

I initially mounted my Zumo using the clutch reservoir mount. I've since moved it to a steering head mount. So, I've had it in both places.

My thoughts;

On the reservoir mount, it was up nice and high putting it nicely in either your peripheral vision or you could focus on it and use your peripheral vision to keep an eye on the road. It was easy to reach up there as well. I have an Audiovox cruse contol on my bike, though, and the control pad is right up there, so having the GPS mounted up there made it a bit difficult to get to the crusie control, uh, controls. And when the missus rides with me, she can see the GPS from the pillion position.

For the steering head mount, it's nice and low - out of the way of things. For me, it's more difficult to operate down there 'cause I've got a tank bag that'll easily accomodate a midget or two, so reaching over the tank bag is a PITA, and I really have to take my eyes off the road to do so. Compared to the clutch reservoir mount, the cruise control is easier to operate, but the missus can't see the GPS when it's on the steering head mount.

All in all, I like the steering head mount because it's nice and low and outta the way of things, but it's more difficult to operate. I like the reservoir mount because it puts the GPS up closer to my line of sight, it's easier to operate, but it gets in the way of the cruise control, uh, controls.

Hope this helps...
I've not read the entire thread so bear with my seply.

I have my Garmin mounted on the steering head and on the lowest stem I could get.

1.) I have mine wired through my Autocom so I listen to "Dumb Dorry's" instructions and rearely look at the screen...that's waaaaayyyyy dangerous!

2.) On the rare occasions I ask for a city. gas station, etc., I have long arms to reach over my tank bag. (It's my big hands that are my problem)

3.) If I need to glance at the screen, it's shielded from the sun and slightly below the speedo/tach gauge cluster.

4.) I have my radar detector mounted on the clutch reservoir.

5.) If you want it mounted high, i.e., in your line-of-sight, mount it on a dash shelf.

There likely isn't a consensus. We each mount ours according to our limitations because of other add-ons or we've found what works best for us. Just as you will.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Suggest drilling and taping the left handle bar and using a screw ball mount. This will keep the GPS at a more eye level position. When it's mounted center you will need to tilt your head taking your eyes too far off the road and the right bar is not good for obvious reasons.

I've got the Performance® HeliBars® Replacement Triple Clamp that comes with pre-drilled holes for a RAM ball. This allows the GPS to be Front and center when using the RAM Ball and mount with the hard wired zumo mount kit. The only downside to the center mount is that it makes ignition key entry and exit a little challenging. I think the center mount is optimal for viewing and keeps the GPS out of your "road vision field".

GreyGoose

I also went with the left handlebar mount. (I took the U bolt off the included handlebar mount that came with my Zumo and just bolted one side of it to the unused mirror mount hole)

It is just easier to read, (By being closer to my face) and if I have to take my left hand off the bars to touch a control on the Zumo...my hand is not far from the grip if it needs to go back there in a hurry.

It is also easier to move the unit a bit if it is reflecting sunlight. May not be the prettiest location but seem the safest.

KM

It's all personal preference! I use stem mount on center nut with Zumo 660. I get GPS direction in my headset, so I don't need it in direct line of sight all the time. My 2 cents.

I've got my Zumo 550 mounted using the gas tank mounting bolts. I basically made two 4" long hollow spacers (hole large enough for longer gas tank screws) and a small flat plate bolted to the top of these. Then I installed a 1" Ram Ball (I hate to think of all of those castrated rams running aaround out there) to that plate. Completely rock solid.

I've got my Zumo 550 mounted using the gas tank mounting bolts. I basically made two 4" long hollow spacers (hole large enough for longer gas tank screws) and a small flat plate bolted to the top of these. Then I installed a 1" Ram Ball (I hate to think of all of those castrated rams running aaround out there) to that plate. Completely rock solid.
This type of setup sounds like it would castrate you should you ever need to go over the handlebars. Maybe I'm picturing it wrong?

I'm going to vote for the shelf setup. Way up high so your not taking your eyes off the road but still in easy reach. I currently have it on a extension on the left handle bar and its ok. However as I've discovered with my vstrom there is no better spot it seems than just above all the gauges. Plus it doubles as a speedometer/trip meter so I rarely look at my gauges. Its just a shame you have to purchase the expensive shelf to make it work.

I want to mount a GPS on my bike and can't decide on a location. It looks like it boils down to option#1 up high on the left handle bar or option#2 fancy mount down between the handlebars. What do you like like? What are the pros or cons to each location?
I use a Garmin Quest2 on a Garmin motorcycle adapter. It uses an adapter that utilizes the unused mirror mount on the clutch bracket. with a 3" extension it can be placed slightly below the mirror. It easily is in the line of sight and accessible with your left hand.

Ed

Regarding GPS Stats, was the IPX Waterproof ratings that ranged from 0-8, with the highest number being the Best.

I was thinking about replacing my old Garmin StreetPilot 2720 and 2730's with newer units until I found these old units carry an IPX rating of 7 (out of 8) and decidede not to waste my time since few of the newer ones meet these standards.

Funny, you don't see much of this information discussed anymore on any of the units....

https://www.gps-home.com/waterproof-rating.aspx

I first tried looking at it at handlebar hight and ditance as suggested by another poster. I would have a problem with my focus (bifocals) in that location. I would need to adapt to a different focal distance (distance - then, close, then distance, etc.). But I don't have that problem if it's mounted on the stem. The distance is just about right for my eyes. I can drop my eyes and read it normally. But I can see how if you had normal vision up high and close would be nice.

IMG_1008s.jpg

I first tried looking at it at handlebar hight and ditance as suggested by another poster. I would have a problem with my focus (bifocals) in that location. I would need to adapt to a different focal distance (distance - then, close, then distance, etc.). But I don't have that problem if it's mounted on the stem. The distance is just about right for my eyes. I can drop my eyes and read it normally. But I can see how if you had normal vision up high and close would be nice.

IMG_1008s.jpg
That installation is very clean; looks OEM, not cobbled.

You want the GPS as close to your normal line of sight as possible, therefore up high as you safely can get it. You use a GPS when the road is not familiar to you so do you really want to be looking down and away from where you are going? When you are on a trip you are sightseeing anyway, you have already lost some of the concentration you need to navigate an unfamiliar twisty road. When I am on a trip on a new road I can glance at the screen and see the severity and direction of the upcoming curves, helpful if the sweepers suddenly become a tight switchback. You may be surprised at the different ways you use a good GPS, if you can see it. The Garmin Zumo should come with a Ram ball mount that piggybacks to your clutch reservoir clamp. This means you can try something and decide for yourself what you like and what you don't without spending $$ on a mount you may not care for. You are not married to whichever mount you choose and the FJR fortunately is easy to route the power cable through so you will not have problems if you decide to change the position. We looked at several and decided on the clutch reservoir mount on the '07. It was not about the money or the work we simply liked it best of the options we saw. It may not be right for you.

Latest posts