Greensboro, NC area Tech Day?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 10 or so would be great. that will give everyone time to get there, and give us plenty of time to get some work done. I'll be ready before then though.

Joe

I think I'll be a go for the 13th; I might be able to get Bradman to come with if he's available (he lives just east of Raleigh). One of the things I've yet to do on the FJR and would like to learn via some OJT is refreshing the fork oil.
Buy some cheap transmission fluid to use to flush them. Fork oil is too exspensive to use for that.
Aye, will do...

Joe, I'd like to check the oil level in my forks. I was trailering cross-country during a move and some oil leaked out while it was strapped.. I'll bring some oil. Can you recommend a weight and quantity?

Thanks,

Rich ('07)

From the Factory Manual on my 08:

Recommended oil

Ohlins R & T43 (ACC-RT43F-00-00)

Quantity

696.0 cm³ (23.53 US oz) (24.55 Imp.oz)

Joe

I got a few power outlets installed today, added another fluorescent light, cleaned the parts washer and added 40 gallons of fresh solvent. Unfortunately the driveway to the garage won't be finished by next week, but I don't think it will kill anyone to drive on a little grass to get inside.

Joe

Got 3 bottles of Belray 5w fork oil and a Motion Pro fork oil level tool on the way from Bike Bandit. I'll bring along some ATF for flushing as well. I'll have the tool bag I normally carry around on the bike plus I'll probably bring a few extra tools just in case. If a couple of us are doing forks, do we need to bring a jack along or do you have something there already? If not, I could probably figure out a way to lash my smallish floor jack onto the rear seat. ;)

You wont need to bring a jack, or even tools, but you are welcome to bring anything you would like. I know that i always like to use my own tools when working, so i understand if you want touse your own.

Joe

You wont need to bring a jack, or even tools, but you are welcome to bring anything you would like. I know that i always like to use my own tools when working, so i understand if you want touse your own.

Joe
Nah, no hang up about using other's tools. Just wasn't sure if we needed more. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe
Nah, no hang up about using other's tools. Just wasn't sure if we needed more. ;)
We should be OK. I don't think there will be too many people wrenching. This Tech Day may be more social than anything. I have a newly acquired VW to mess with, and I think a friend of mine is stopping over with a transmission he is getting started on.

Joe

Joe
We should be OK. I don't think there will be too many people wrenching. This Tech Day may be more social than anything. I have a newly acquired VW to mess with, and I think a friend of mine is stopping over with a transmission he is getting started on.

Joe
Nice! My father was a hardcore hobby restorer of old Beetles before he passed and I restored my own '71 Super Beetle, with his help, back in my USMC days. :D A big shop is nice to have for such endeavors...

Hi all,

I plan to be there - and since folks have mentioned topping off fork oil, I have another Fork Oil level tool I can bring if anyone thinks a second is helpful:

https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_96&products_id=81

I've found that Gen-I bike fork oil level is 100mm. Anyone know if this is the same for Gen-II bikes?

I have set my suspension up per HaulinAshe and EODSarge and it works great:

"...set both the front clickers to 8/8 and leave the preload at three(3) lines, and the rear at 6 clicks"

But looks like my front left fork has begun to weep, so I may try the 35mm film trick to clean the seals Saturday, and maybe top off if anyone has any oil "left over".

I just acquired my 2007 FJR in May. After having worked extensively on all my old bikes (concours, GB500, Pacific Coast, CB750) I find I'm inexplicably intimidated by the FJR. Probably no reason, but I've not even propped the tank up.

So if someone is comfortable just showing me that, it'll get me started.

I have changed the oil, rear drive oil and installed a new windscreen and topcase, but eventually I'll have to tackle de-installing the Audiovox CC, Throttle body sync and valve adjust (yikes).

Also - is anyone planning on bringing a pillion? My wife and I usually ride together everywhere, but she doesn't want to be in the way of any "guy-only" thing.

~Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have cleaned the fork seals on my KTM several time with a thin geeler gauge. Works every time.

My wife wont be there. She will he away all weekend visiting a friend.

joe

I picked up some hot dogs and burgers to grill, and I'll get some munchies and soft drinks. If there are any special requests, let me know.

Joe

Wow - food, tools and a new garage!

Sounds like a great time - and weather's looking great too.

I may bring a few beers - at least to celebrate successful wrenching.

I don't ever drink when I'm riding, but I'm sure if its only 1 or 2,

and we're eating

and its been at least an hour since the last drink and throwing a leg over,

That's okay, right?

What do others think - I don't want to offend...

and we're eating

That's okay, right?

Live and let live, ride and let ride. No offense taken here, I think to each his own.

and we're eating

That's okay, right?

You are welcome to bring whatever you'd like. No problem at all.

My wife had a change of plans, and will be home now. That's good news for us, because I'm a terrible host...and we'll eat WAY better with her home. :)

Joe

You are welcome to bring whatever you'd like. No problem at all.

My wife had a change of plans, and will be home now. That's good news for us, because I'm a terrible host...and we'll eat WAY better with her home. :)

Joe

Sounds great - Wifey will be more comfortable with another woman there, tho' she was looking forward to it either way. She hangs well with the guys.

I did originally offer that she could be making coffee for us whilst the boys work on bikes, that didn't go over too well.

I keep meaning to do a ride report/review of the FJR from the pillion's perspective, as there's a dearth of feedback about bikes from a pillion's POV.

Often, for us attached types, the pillion's input may be the deciding factor over whether a new machine resides in the stable or not.

So if your wife has any input on your bikes from a passenger's perspective, I'd be interested in hearing that too.

~Bill

Damn! Gonna be a couple of days too late. Pick up my next bike in Charlotte on Tuesday.woulda been nice to meet some of you guys while I was in the area. If anyone's free Tuesday night or a little further north on Wednesday, I'll be posting up my route from North Carolina to Ontario shortly. Feel free to intercept me and say hello.Have a great Tech Day!