• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Group buy Seat Concepts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my Seat Concept kit installed. Grippy surface, basketweave sides. Was a little difficult to stretch and staple, but a friend's very large vise helped by loosely holding the seat while one hand stretched and the other stapled. If you have a friend that wants to help by stretching or stapling, accept their offer immediately.

<added 3 hours later> Used a hand stapler, which occasionally required some tapping with a hammer to fully seat the staples. Took about an hour, and a lot of that time was wrestling the seat into a position where I could stretch the vinyl with my left hand and work the stapler with my right. Would I recommend sending the seat to them for installation? No. My bike was only out of commission for an hour. Although there are some wrinkles in the seat cover due to my ineptitude, I wouldn't want to be without the bike for a week to ten days.

Impressions after my first ride, only 30 miles: The feel is completely different from the stock seat. My butt now sits in a cup, instead of astride a bareback horse. The support on the outside of my butt cheeks was noticeable (even over this short distance) and felt substantial. There is a distinct slope to the saddle that tends to put me back into the deepest part of the seat -- which is where I like to sit. The grippy surface was VERY noticeable; moving my body from side to side for curves required lifting off the seat rather than sliding over the stock vinyl.

My riding is a lot more of the 'touring', and a lot less of the 'sport'.

I don't do much hooning through twisties, so I'm not concerned about sliding my butt across the seat; sliding can also be accomplished with a little exertion of the quadriceps, so it's not as if body positioning has been completely eliminated.

As for the long distance stuff, I think/hope that the supportive cupping will spoon with my butt and help spread the seating pressure to more flesh. I'll update in a few days, after griff and I get back from Stagecoach: that's 650 miles round trip for me and a good test of the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get more of a discount due to the volume but 30% is the max. They said lead time on orders now is 5-7 days.

BTW, if anyone else is thinking about having them do the installation for the back as well as the front, I contacted them and got the price: $20 for the front (as advertised) and $10 for the rear.

To me, it's worth an extra $30 to have a perfect installation. I watched their video, and I think it would be a PITA to get the seams perfectly straight, at least on the front. OTOH, I can purchase a Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler for about $20. To those of you who have done this, how difficult is it to get the lines all perfectly straight, and would you say that your installation was a 10 out of 10? Maybe you can post a photo or photos?

Thank you in advance!

Google: "seat concepts site:fjrforum.com" Works when you do it, too.
coolsmiley02.gif

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165125-anyone-using-the-geniigeniii-seat-from-seat-concepts/?p=1263730 , and

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165125-anyone-using-the-geniigeniii-seat-from-seat-concepts/?p=1269142

(Thanks, rszk and xcsp!)

I'm in also Front only

Steve Morris
200lbs
Gen3 Front cover non grip vinyl top/ carbon fiber sides
Boilerman49athotmail.com
Ormond Ont Canada K0C2K0

(request USPS please)

BTW, if anyone else is thinking about having them do the installation for the back as well as the front, I contacted them and got the price: $20 for the front (as advertised) and $10 for the rear.To me, it's worth an extra $30 to have a perfect installation. I watched their video, and I think it would be a PITA to get the seams perfectly straight, at least on the front. OTOH, I can purchase a Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler for about $20. To those of you who have done this, how difficult is it to get the lines all perfectly straight, and would you say that your installation was a 10 out of 10? Maybe you can post a photo or photos?

Thank you in advance!
I found a local leather repair shop that installed the seat covers for me for around $40, was worth it to me, they did a great job. Just had them install a SC cover for my Suzuki DR650 seat, turned out just as nice!

I had checked a few auto upholsterers in the area and they were crazy-anywhere from $100-200 just to install the covers on the seat pans with me having the foam glued in place.

Has anyone inquired about getting custom color stitching done? Just curious how much extra it might be - didn't see any pricing on the website.

You can have custom stitching. Any non stock item not on the list on the site is $20

This ends tomorrow night so if anyone wants in on the 30% off let me know before tomorrow evening.

Please update mine - I no longer want them to do the installation. I'm gonna give it a shot myself.

I also clarified in my post that it's a Gripper top with CF sides.

Thank you!

I ordered mine before the group buy was posted. It was delivered Tuesday, and got it installed Wednesday. I had an upholsterer (friendly acquaintance) do it. The installer said everything fit perfectly, and it looked like it - what fine quality and great value, even w/o the 30% discount. I only sat on it for a few minutes, what a difference. Those who got in on the group buy are in for a treat, good for you.
smile.png

I ordered mine before the group buy was posted. It was delivered Tuesday, and got it installed Wednesday. I had an upholsterer (friendly acquaintance) do it. The installer said everything fit perfectly, and it looked like it - what fine quality and great value, even w/o the 30% discount. I only sat on it for a few minutes, what a difference. Those who got in on the group buy are in for a treat, good for you.
smile.png
Would be great to see pictures of it!