Have the terms and rules changed with regards to vulgarity?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these characters can be pretty offensive online. And after meeting just about all of them in person I think they are just as offensive in real life.

So what. Get over it.

I understand that what one might consider vulgar is subjective, but without pointing out specific posts (unless you'd like me to) it seems that the vulgarity line is crossed on a regular basis. I'm sure we are all smart enough to know what I am referring to in this case.
So, where do the board administrators stand on this issue?
For once, a post that dares us to acknowledge that others have a different

understanding of what passes for civil discourse on the Internet. I think a

conversation of this type can do wonders to advance our understanding and

knowledge of how to take a online forum and bring it back to the basics.

Offhand, I can think of many posts that I've read that made me cringe. I know that

freedom of expression is something we all clearly aspire to, but just

for once, we should endeavor towards more civil discourse.

Me? I would expect the rest of the forum to welcome Flagstaffs perspective

and try to assess the content of your post to ensure it meets with

the spirit of the forum rules. This forum has no room for those with poor

etiquette and we would do well to raise the standards of this forum, for once

!

ohno-smiley02.gif
Nice Hudson!

Is winter over yet??? Bike maintenance is done, weather is shitty, no riding yet
lol2.gif
punk.gif
Great catch, Brian. I admit, I was kind of shaking my head about this post. Till now. My apologies for the lack of faith, Dave. (Went back and gave you a "plus," too.) :)

What Would TwoWheelNut Say?

fuck.gif

lol.gif

For those of you who never read any of TWN's 10,000 posts or met him, I'm sorry for you. He was one of the brightest, big-hearted, quickest, funniest men on the forum. Quite profane as well. And the culture here has not been the same since he passed.

As I was on my way to work tonight I started to feel bad for Flagstaff and shit pile he stirred up. Then I remembered the the great Redd Foxx and his response when asked why he was so vulgar and his fondness for the words "Shit and Fuck". Now I paraphrase, but i think it went something like this; cause people fuck and shit, and if you dont fuck............shit, if you dont shit..........fuuuck.
Can we look forward to your finding more opportunities in this thread to use those words you seem so fond of?
rolleyes.gif
Not likely, I think Flagstaff has been hammered on this enough and to be honest, I'm out of ideas. I do have a fondness for these 2 words, probably the 2 most useful words in the English language................so I say.

fuck.gif

lol.gif

For those of you who never read any of TWN's 10,000 posts or met him, I'm sorry for you. He was one of the brightest, big-hearted, quickest, funniest men on the forum. Quite profane as well. And the culture here has not been the same since he passed.
Never met TWN in person, but I sure miss his "wisdom" imparted on those that needed it

fuck.gif

lol.gif

Dingdingdingding ding!!! We have a winner!

Ol' shitty pants down knows of what he speaks..

Tim was the FJR forum, his unique style was unparalleled. It was at his urging, or maybe it was prodding, that made me what I am here today.

His ability to cut anyone down to size was amazing to me. Somehow he knew when to play nice, use small words, and imply they were complete jack holes..

Other times he'd blast away with both barrels ripping an arse to shreds.

He and Radman's never-ending harassment of each other was classic! There were nights I was actually in pain from laughing with those two.

Granted things get a little rough here now and then, you aren't going to find anyplace on the net with the kind of free information provided here.

So pull up the boots, slip on the gloves, cinch up that helmet, and ride this place for all it's worth.

:fuck:

:lol2:

Tim was class and would have busted ASS on lo-q posts.. In a TWN way!

Yes, this forum can't stay focused on content. It is what it is. We have numerous members that will post, not just despite having anything useful to add, but because they have nothing useful to add. You have to wade through the poo to find the pearls of wisdom and real answers to real questions presented here.

The single hardest thing to do is actually respond in a helpful manner when the biggest asshats here have a serious question about their bikes. But to their credit, when that happens, they honestly appreciate the content and helpful answers, then it deteriorates quickly once their problem is solved, often by their own posts digging the hole ever deeper.

However, this is a MOTORCYCLE forum, and not just any motorcycle, but one mostly owned by older men, going through some mid life bullshit that can afford it. Young studs like me are few and far between, and under 18 is almost unheard of.

Zilla - your wake up call has arrived.
rolleyes.gif
You are one of those guys going through some mid life bs.
fool.gif

And SP, girl, you chose to move to the little table, so take as many helpings as you want, but we'll let you know when we want to hear from you.
winksmiley02.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

One issue being considered is the hijacking of valid technical threads. If the jolly chokers would self-police it would go a long way toward avoiding admin's heads exploding at the thought of having to start taking action. There's nothing wrong with hinjinks per se but it does adversely impact the value of the forum overall when it bleeds over into the tech discussions.

And it's been getting worse.

...There's nothing wrong with hinjinks per se but it does adversely impact the value of the forum overall when it bleeds over into the tech discussions.
I have basically said this in an earlier post. This is first a FJR site (self help group?) and secondarily a social club and lastly an antisocial club.

It has indeed gotten worse recently, and it is winter for most people. People need another hobby during the winter ;)

One issue being considered is the hijacking of valid technical threads. If the jolly chokers would self-police it would go a long way toward avoiding admin's heads exploding at the thought of having to start taking action. There's nothing wrong with hinjinks per se but it does adversely impact the value of the forum overall when it bleeds over into the tech discussions.
I can't speak to the getting worse part of this, but the other part is dead on. Prior to deciding on my FJR, I looked for every peice of information I could find to help me make an informed choice. I did this on Concourse and ST1300 websites as well. Since I made my decision I have continued to look for any information that would make my FJR experience better. As OCfjr so eloquently put it, I had to wade through the poo to find the pearls...lots of poo. The focus for myself and I would guess most newer and casual users is useful information.

The thing I find that works well on the simple minded stuff is my right index finger, scrolling on my mouse; an action that makes the posts disappear.

and I wrote that knowing that it would be immediately mocked and turned into a joke. Life is like high school sometimes....

Middle English, from Latin vulgaris of the mob, vulgar, from volgus, vulgus mob, common people

First Known Use: 14th century

a: generally used, applied, or accepted
b: understood in or having the ordinary sense <they reject the vulgar conception of miracle — W. R. Inge>

: vernacular <the vulgar name of a plant>

a: of or relating to the common people : plebeian
b: generally current : public <the vulgar opinion of that time>
c: of the usual, typical, or ordinary kind

OK, I had to look up what it meant.

It should be a fun read when warchild decides to share is colorful words of wit on this subject. Flagstaff would surely blush. ;)

I am reminded of graffiti from a bathroom wall years ago....

Here I write upon these walls

While rolling turds into little balls

He who reads these words of wit

Can eat these little balls of shit.

This one is for you Barry

I am kind of hoping this thread has run its course and will soon die. Everybody seemed to benefit from it in some way, there were more "Likes" thrown around on this thread than bottles of Geritol at a GoldWing Rally.

As it evolved it seems that the OP was not so much against vulgarity in and of itself as he was against Vulgarity Mixed With Stupidity. This does live here and can be aggravating to the best of us. I can't really disagree with him on that. As others have stated, when you are truly in search of knowledge and having to wade through useless posts to get it, you start to wonder if this is about the FJR or not. I think the OP used Vulgarity because the rules do cover that. The rules are kind of gray on the subject of tainting a thread with useless stupidity and Ignacio and Bounce have both stated that they are trying to get a handle on this. Perhaps our OP is more in line with what our Moderators are thinking than any of us want to admit.

Now if he were against Vulgarity Mixed With Silliness, or Vulgarity Mixed With Humor, then I would say to hell with him. I don't think this is the case, I think he is referring to a very tiny percentage of the posts here and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I find that the various characters in the many different regions covered by this forum make this place rich and unique. I am able to use the humor as much as or more than the actual technical knowledge in my everyday life. I often find myself looking forward to the next picture of Salma Hayek more than I look forward to oil threads. And I just LOVE oil threads.

I am hoping though that the OP, Mr. Flagstaff does not need to make use of the "Ignore" feature. I refuse to use it because I think it detracts from the whole experience. It would be like going to Italy and not eating the food. It would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. It would be like going to a Breast Bar and not tipping the dancers. It would be like buying an FJR and not riding it. More to the point, for me using the ignore feature would be me telling myself that I am superior to and better than another forum member. It would be a testament to my personal arrogance. It would also tell me that I moved into a neighborhood that I was not ready for.

Let's hope we all learned a few good things from this. While I don't completely agree with the man, he touched some nerves that are undoubtedly attached to the consciences of some people who are really good folks when all is said and done. The sort of folks you wish you could share a motorcycle ride with some day.

Besides the good natured bs and vulgarity, there are many differing opinions here. This alone is overwhelming to a newbie in search of knowledge. It took me all afternoon to decide what oil to use. Then I had to decide on a filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.