Holeshot Fun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a dumb question, but have you tried calling him? Perhaps even his master crafstman brother-in-law can help you?

-BD

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried calling him? Perhaps even his master crafstman brother-in-law can help you?
-BD
Not yet. Iknew he wasn't probably gonna be around on the weekend, so why waste my dime talking to a machine. I justwanna successful resolution to this, however itmay turn out. And a new keyboard.......... :D

They're closed. It's in this thread, I think. He had a family emergency. Reopens Tuesday.

My install of headers and PCIII is done. It drizzling wet here but took it for a spin any way. So far it rocks. Gotta clean the whole bike again and I'm gonna double check the silicone gasket seal, probably reseal it. The map seems great too. I'll know better when it stops raining.

It's a different sorta bike w/ this setup. For most Feejers probably not their cup 'o tea.

It's a different sorta bike w/ this setup. For most Feejers probably not their cup 'o tea.
Oh no! You're not getting away that easy!

Specifically, what do you mean? How is the bike different, and why is it not for most?

-BD

Well, checked with several exhaust fab shops in the area. First off, my D&D inlet pipes cannot be expanded enough to fit over the HS outlets-a split is guaranteed. I've yet to find anyone willing to do the job in stainless (manufacture new pipes to fit). Running out of options fast. <_<

Oh, the tears :bleh: Oh, stop it!! :haha: Oh, my aching sides :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rolf:

Well, it's good to see that you are in a better mood about the situation at this point. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sure would have simplified things if he had. As it sits, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I can stuff the oe's back on, but even thats gonna take some trimming, as the fit's pretty stiff. I wanna keep the D&D song going though. We'll see. :unsure:
Unbelievable. Even the most recent posts from Dale indicated that his headers would work with any aftermarket product that would work with the OE headers. I too have the D&D's and like them enough to want to keep them. This puts off my purchase plans indefinitely until the outcome is resolved.

Well, just got off the phone with Dale, and heres the deal. Slip ons that are designed to fit the oe header without the gasket are not going to fit. Period. The Holeshot slip-ons were designed to use the oe gasket when first developed-they fit the header now sans gasket, hence the fit problem. So, he is now aware of the problem, and is considering several ideas we discussed that may alleviate the situation, but as it sits, some slip ons will not fit. :( My solution?

For Sale-1 set D&D Aluminum Slip-Ons. Polished finish

BLACKHEADERWITHALUMINUMMUFFLER.jpg

Will not fit new HS Header in it's present config. However, a very nice sound for not a lot of money, good fit and finish. $250 plus shipping.

Frank will be a fully Holeshotted Machine. Dale was very cool about the whole deal, and I believe honestly did not know how some of his competitors products mounted. I am satisfied with the outcome. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So the HS headers include the midpipes? My D&D's use the OE gasket somewhere along the way. I think it's where the midpipe fits the OE header/Cat-con. Looking at the photo in the sale forum jogged my memory. I use the OE gasket down by the foot peg. So yeah, where the midpipe fits the OE header/cat-con.

--update to reply below--

I wonder if D&D changed their design some time after I got mine? I know I got it pretty soon after they first came out. Hmmm...

So the HS headers include the midpipes? My D&D's use the OE gasket somewhere along the way. I think it's where the midpipe fits the OE header/Cat-con.
No they don't Mark-the D&D mid pipe (between header and muffler) fits directly onto the header outlet sans gasket. There the fit problem rears it's ugly TDub like horrible face, causing pregnant women to spontaneously abort, children to forever withdraw until their serial killer tendencies blossom forth into a frenzied kil....well, you get the idea. ;)

Rad,

Why couldn't you have an adapter welded to the inlet of your slip-ons? Just about any stainless shop could swedge out an adapter and TIG weld it to the inlet after the existing stub was cut off. You can cut the inlet pipe down to about a 1/4" stub using a George Fisher cut off saw then Purge/TIG weld the new adapter on.

I don't know who "Dale" is, I'm assuming it's the guy that actually manufactures/sells the slip ons. Did he mention something like this as an option?

If you are given a hard time about being able to swedge the material, point out the fact that an adapter could also be turned on a lathe in like manner and welded the inlet after the stub was turned down.

It's true that making an adapter such as this may move your outlets back by about 1/2". It looks as though the mounting hanger can be slid down making this a non issue as well.

IMO this Dale fellow should handle the mod for you if these were truly supposed to slip right on.

John

1st off, let me say Dale has been most accomodating in this. He simply assumed all slip on mfrs designed their systems the same way, which turned out not to be the case. The D&D leave no room for additional length ahead of the muff inlet-they're already sitting well forward on the mounting clamp, so that the option of using a slip on adapter was out of the question early on. I thought about cutting and welding on a larger inlet to the D&D mid pipe, but didn't for two reasons. One was if it didn't work out as planned, the pipe is junk, and would be unsaleable. Two was in any case it would have looked crappy-Dale did offer to modify the D&D inlet pipe and JetHot it at nominal cost, but we both agreed that overall the best plan was to sell the D&D's and just go with the complete Holeshot system-not the cheapest alternative, but the best plan isn't always the least expensive. As it is, once completed, Frank will have one super hot shit intake (PCIII, Uni Filter) exhaust (complete Holeshot system) and custom FI mapping (courtesy Dale Walker). In my view it doesn't come any better, and meets my goal of having a an absolute state of the art GT Motorcycle. Or at least that much closer to it. ;) The header is a beautiful piece-it compliments the bikes intended purpose nicely, and is so much simpler and better looking as well as betterflowing than the factory piece ( as it should). I love JetHot coatings, I was an early user of their stuff on a eyeball ripping 440 Dart I sold to get this scooter.