Holeshot Fun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per HS instructions the install at his joint requires hand fitting, including filing and sanding. The slot end of my HS midpipe is going to need to be opened up, by tapping it out is my first thought. All of the HS components seem to be practically the same size. I've got it apart w/out gaskets and I can't just slip the joint together.

I seem to remember that the new HS headers were made from pipe that was one size larger in dia. than the stock ones, for increasing the mid range. Could it be that......? :huh:
I always thought that smaller header pipes made for more midrange, larger ones made more top end. Exhaust/tuning experts please chime in here.

I seem to remember that the new HS headers were made from pipe that was one size larger in dia. than the stock ones, for increasing the mid range. Could it be that......?  :huh:
I always thought that smaller header pipes made for more midrange, larger ones made more top end. Exhaust/tuning experts please chime in here.
I B no X-Pert, but I think if you go too big you lose mid range, you want some back pressure. Maybe the stock was too small?

It's a combination of head diameter vs collector length vs collector type vs collector volume IIRC. This is a 2 into 2 which reduced collector volume vs the oe setup. Short big tubes for horsies, long small tubes for torque. None of which matters a fuck if it sits on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna have to shorten the D&D pipe on the header end sightly, eliminate it's slots, grind off the chrome, and slot the HS rendering it impossible for the oe to fit. I can install one or the other, but never both it appears.

I'm gonna have to shorten the D&D pipe on the header end sightly, eliminate it's slots, grind off the chrome, and slot the HS rendering it impossible for the oe to fit. I can install one or the other, but never both it appears.
Don't do it - talk to Dale first. This could be an expensive mistake.

As far as I am concerned, he didn't make a product which fit the specification. If you make aftermarket parts, they should fit like stock but perform better. If it were me, this would be unacceptable, and I would send it back in the crappy box and packing it came in.

The header set was designed without a fresh bike and consistent dyno, is missing sniffing ports (my opinion), needs a fenda extenda to carry the warranty (even though the plastic and radiator are there), yours came damaged (shipper's fault, not carrier's), and it doesn't match the spec despite claims that it would accommodate any brand X slip-on.

I know Dale has a good reputation, but I am a little skeptical right now. I hope to proven wrong and that this product is all that plus a bag of chips.

-BD

Short big tubes for horsies, long small tubes for torque.
Why does everyone act like horsepower and torque are mutually independent? Power is a function of torque and engine speed.

-BD
Ok, fine Big short tubes for high rpm horsepower building, long small diameter tubes for wide fat torque band. Better? I know horsepower is a mathmatical equation based on torque and rpm (horsies and torquies are equal at 5252 IIRC), but characteristics are that of which I speak. and I don't want to give up my header, I need to find a way for it to fit properly, I like the idea of no cats and some heat loss as well as a lighter system, though on the Feej thats kinda like Rosanne Barr douching with Ultra Slim Fast. I just am bummed it didn't just bolt up as advertised.

Hey RM,

If anyone can figure this out it is you...but why do you want to do a bunch of metal work when you don't have to ??

Tell ya what, I'll call Bike Effects and have my back ordered Leo Vince slip on's sent to your address and you send me your D&D's and I'll pay the shipping.

Since I have no intention on changing my headers until I can see a pic and you guys have gone thru a summer and can say that during 100F temps you can say it was a "cool" ride with the new headers :D

Waiting for your PM...

He said that they would work with other components. Now, he has to address this issue.

That said, they were designed and built as a proprietary system.

Hey RM,If anyone can figure this out it is you...but why do you want to do a bunch of metal work when you don't have to ??

Tell ya what, I'll call Bike Effects and have my back ordered Leo Vince slip on's sent to your address and you send me your D&D's and I'll pay the shipping.

Since I have no intention on changing my headers until I can see a pic and you guys have gone thru a summer and can say that during 100F temps you can say it was a "cool" ride with the new headers :D

Waiting for your PM...
As nice an offer as this may be, I don't see the benefit. The Vinces are no more likely to fit than are the D&D's I have now. Besides, The Vinces are, at a minimum, $200 more than I paid for the D's. The system will go together, and it will be bitchin. It just ain't gonna be the cakewalk it first appeared it might be. And that kinda sucks, for me now, and I think for future sales of the header for those who already have cans they like. ;)

As nice an offer as this may be, I don't see the benefit.  The Vinces are no more likely to fit than are the D&D's I have now.  Besides, The Vinces are, at a minimum, $200 more than I paid for the D's.  The system will  go together, and it will  be bitchin.  It just ain't gonna be the cakewalk it first appeared it might be.  And that kinda sucks, for me now, and I think for future sales of the header for those who already have cans they like. ;)
OK, but no one can say that I didn't try to help the one and only RM. And I didn't make fun of you during your "challenge" like TWN.

GO RM GO. And please document your "modifications" with a digital camera so those of us less mechanically inclined can learn from the master.

and please stop smoking, it just fu@king stinks in here with that (don't you have laws like Kalifornia?)

from what i have read... any can should fit dales pipe........ call him and i bet he will take care of it somehow . i would not do any mods on the cans you have. he just might suggest sending him the cans and he can do the mod .dont hurt to try it .

I shall try to post some pics tomorrow-just set up with photobucket. That way you all can see whats going on here. And thanks for the faith. It is, believe me, undeserved.

from what i have read... any can should fit dales pipe........ call him and i bet he will take care of it somehow . i would not do any mods on the cans you have he just might suggest sending him the cans and he can do the mod dont hurt to try it .
True dat. Have sent several emails to him, unanswered as of yet. He is, however, on a personal emergency right now I believe, so it's understandable. Frustrating, but understandable. I'm at least a month from riding, but I hate unfinished projects. Once started, I go till it's done, a holdover from my racing days I guess.

True, don't start grinding on anything yet. Dale should make it right.

I'm telling you, just fitting the proprietary stuff is not easy. It's tight. The HS midpipe is expanded to 2.1" at the end to accept the 2" header pipe. It's a very tight fit w/ filing, sanding etc...

Now I'm ruined for life....

Radman, I was following this thread with interest and then got to your your comment about Rosanne Barr. Aauuugh! Way too graphic picture in my mind!

Hey RM,If anyone can figure this out it is you...but why do you want to do a bunch of metal work when you don't have to ??

Waiting for your PM...
I talked to Dale Walker myself, as I have Leo Vinces. They won't work! He said that the mid pipe on the Leos would have to be expanded to fit over the header. Since the Leos have stainless mid pipes, and by Dale's own admission, stainless is brittle (his headers are mild steel) I wouldn't risk my Leos my screwing with the mid pipes. I think he missed the boat on this one, and should have made the header the same size as stock.

Sure would have simplified things if he had. As it sits, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I can stuff the oe's back on, but even thats gonna take some trimming, as the fit's pretty stiff. I wanna keep the D&D song going though. We'll see. :unsure:

Latest posts