How I Built A Radiator Cover...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocha

Reaction score
Howdy all,

This past weekend I didn't go riding. Instead, I stayed in my garage and built a radiator cover for my beloved FJR. Here is the website where I explain step by step what I did. Radiator Cover

Let me know what you think. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you used appropriate raw materials, and you certainly took the time to make a decent job of it. The welding would preclude me from doing this at home since I have no welder, so it was cheaper for me to spend the $60 and get a similar cover from John M.

I didn't miss your point about the chance of having the zip ties break, so I liked your bracket idea. I have one question about that - what's to prevent a big bump from jolting your guard out of the groove it sits in? I was kinda thinking you would have to use a small screw to fasten it in place to prevent it from jumping around? Maybe not if it fits in there tight enough.

I personally have had poor luck with rattlecan paint for anything used in an outdoor application. Time will tell on this, but it's no big deal. If the paint chips up it's easy enough to remove and refinish it.

Overall you did a nice job, IMO.

Howdy all,
This past weekend I didn't go riding. Instead, I stayed in my garage and built a radiator cover for my beloved FJR. Here is the website where I explain step by step what I did. Radiator Cover

Let me know what you think.  ;)
I think you did a pretty killer job, no question!

I personally would've gone with just a teeny-tiny bit larger opening size for the grating, but then, I'm partial to the maximum airflow to the radiator I can get without overly compromising the intended job of protecting the radiator.

Very nice work, FJRocha!!!
thumb.gif

I agree with everyone...nice job. How about posting a follow-up after a few miles and let us know if you notice any cooling differences.

How about posting a follow-up after a few miles and let us know if you notice any cooling differences.
There will be differences. I use the Cox, with a somewhat more open construction, installed over winter. I notice this season a tendency to run at 3 bars longer once at highway speed, a generally higher op temp overall, nothing major, but a definite rise over naked.

Since I tend to be mechanically challenged, I am always amazed and impressed w/ someone who has the skills, tools and patience to build something from scratch, as is the case w/ your radiator guard.

Congratulations...you done good!

Thank you guys for your candid comments.

I have also thought of placing a screw to hold the bracket to the cover. But the rubber gasket makes it fit so tightly that it didn't need the screw. Besides, the bracket is secured tightly in place by the radiator bolt. For it to turn, the bolt would have to tighten some more... possible, but not likely.

Regarding temperature, well... this is Arizona, and it is hell hot here! However, the bars always stay on three (except on red lights or long stops). No different from before. Then again, it has only been two days.

Regarding the paint, I have used the same one before on an car engine with good results. I used it on the pulleys, the water pump and the battery box. Never had paint chipping, and it held humidity at bay. I know this application is different, and I will be inspecting it from time to time. If I see any problems, then I would take it down, sand it and repaint it. No big deal.

So far, I am very happy with the results.

Kick Ass!. Where do you get the grating?
The stock grating I got locally at Capitol Metals Click hre

A 2' x 4' 20GA steel piece goes for less than $20.00. They have several sizes of grating hole sizes and shapes. I eyeballed the round 3/16" holes to be half way between the airflow needed and the protection I wanted for the radiator.

Nice job, Rocha!!

I did something similar a little while ago (see The old piece of shit board where the search function couldn't find it so I did it manually). I wish I had the tools and skills to weld the corners instead of the crap epoxy idea I had.

Nonetheless, mine is working great and I am sure yours will too. I do think the bike runs a little hotter at slow to moderate speeds than without it. Of course I live in the swamp called South Florida. BTW, my mesh is ~63% open. Next time I would have gone with the honeycomb that John uses on his guards. That material approaches 80% open.

-BD

Nice job, but I think you will find a difference in how fast the bike gets hot if you take an actual measurement.

Less air flow more heat, I noticed it on mine when I install my radiator guard.

:clap: