How Would YOU Sell This Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I'm facing what might be approaching an ethical dilemma. I have this '05 on my hands that I just replaced with a new to me '14. What do you do with an 11-year old, high-mileage FJR with quite a few problems? I have to get rid of it, and I'd like to get a few bucks out of it, but I don't want to sell somebody a big set of problems.

I'd never try to pass if off as other than what it is, but the problems aren't really what anybody would want to lead off with. If the very first thing you tell that lovely young lady you just met about your herpes issue, chances are you won't see much of her again. It's a little like that.

There's a lot of good to be said about this 99,082-mile bike. The engine runs great. In fact, it was completely rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago after suffering some burned valves. The brakes, suspension and tires are all brand new (kind of sorry I did all that now). I was planning to ride it for as long as I could, despite the problems I'm going to mention, but, well, no, not any more.

The worst problem with the bike, the main reason I decided to switch, really, is I'm afraid the transmission has started to slip. It's only done it twice under hard acceleration, but I'm pretty sure it won't start getting better miraculously. It's a big job, and pretty expensive, unless you have the skill and will to do your own, like Grumpypoo just detailed. I have neither of those. And I don't know how fast it will decline, even with extreme care in riding. I was hoping to take it to NAFO and most likely Red Lodge this summer, too, along with my normal riding. Would it have been ok? Don't know, but I was worried.

There are other things that worried me too. The starter seems weak (it's not the battery--that's new too), and has failed to crank enough to start the bike when it's hot a few times in the last couple of years. It always did start, though, after a few minutes rest. The ABS does not work. I can't find the thread I posted on, but the brakes somehow locked over a year ago while I was riding on the freeway. They didn't really lock up, but they were stuck on. I got off as quickly as I could (I was actually on a bridge at the time) and when I stopped, they were actually on fire! Luckily I had a bottle of water, but I got it to the shop (towed) and they told me they could just disconnect the ABS and have standard brakes, or do a very major restoration for another thousand or so. I went with the non-ABS option. Heck, my first '05 didn't have ABS. Nor any bike I'd ever had before. Still, it's a pretty big selling point, and NOT having it on an ABS-equipped bike is a pretty big anti-selling point.

So that's the big stuff. The dealer didn't want it much at ALL as a trade. Not worth considering. I'd rather donate it to the Children's Receiving Home than take what he offered me. For that matter, I suppose I could get a tax write off. But if I SELL it . . . well, what do you think? How would you present it? And what would seem like a reasonable asking price.

I'm still stripping away as many of my farkles as I can, either to re-install or put up for sale, but it's about ready to turn over to somebody else. Just want to do it openly and fairly. Thanks.

Hello Mike, personally I'd do exactly what you did on here. Give someone a full disclosure and let them decide. At least you can say you warned them. I'd be much more willing to purchase a motorcycle where the owner could tell me everything about it rather than a bike that had no paperwork or owner history.

I'd say if you post it as is for around $3000 and won't hide the issues it should go reasonably fast. The downs you mention are sort of a bummer but someone could possibly still squeeze another 5k miles out of it riding a big touring machine. Selling it honestly and at low price would also save you the bad feeling the next morning. It's still a '05 1300cc bike - there is some value just in that!

On the other hand you could try to part it out. Engine, wheels, suspension, frame, subrame and all the other parts that are fine would bring you some good cash and the bad transmission, brakes and starter you could dispose at some waste yard for probably around $30 to $50. It does take time, space and and mess to go that way though.

What makes you think that it's not just the clutch slipping? My non-mechanical neighbor just replaced the clutch on his '07 FJR last week. He bought the parts on eBay for $54 and did it himself with no difficulty. His '07 has much less than 100k miles on it and his clutch plates had almost no friction surfaces left.

The worst problem with the bike, the main reason I decided to switch, really, is I'm afraid the transmission has started to slip. It's only done it twice under hard acceleration, but I'm pretty sure it won't start getting better miraculously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd donate it and take the tax deduction. If I tried to sell it, I wouldn't ask more than $1,500 and I think you can get more than that off your tax liability. A real handy moto mechanic could probably get it reliably roadworthy for...what? $1,000 in parts (trans, starter and ABS) plus 20-40 hours labor? ...and he's got a $3,000 bike.

Could the trans be slipping because of regular oil? Or are the discs just plain shot? The reason I bring it up is because I had a V65 that slipped under acceleration when I bought it. I changed the oil and the problem went away within a few miles. Could always see if anyone here has a used starter to sell you. Then all there'd be is the abs issue and there might be someone out there that doesn't care about that if they can get a good buy on an otherwise good bike. glws

Maybe donate it to a nearby school with a mechanics program? It would seem most of the forum members don't have the space, time, inclination or skill of a Grumpypoo to dismantle and reassemble such a complicated piece of machinery? I only dream of such skill!

Mike - id put it up on craigslist and here too for teh amount you were thinking of - full disclosure and see if you got any bites, if not then do the charity tax deduction thing - depends how long you want to wait to move it.

I'd do the tell-it-like-it-is story, and let the buyer decide....... ABS can be fixed with a used unit perhaps, and I'd investigate if that's just a clutch slipping issue or skipping gear dogs. Clutch fix is relatively easy. By all means, take all your farkles, you get nothing for them if you leave them on the bike. If nobody bites, then consider the charity thing.

I'd be all over this bike if not for the fact that I am in Indiana and it is in California. Someone here will probably buy it for a fair price.

Post it for sale. Full disclosure. Lots of people like to wrench. It'll sell if you price it right, or drop the price until it does. Someone might buy it to part it out.

Donating it will not net you much... for vehicles I believe you have to wait until the charity sells it, then it nets you about 15% off your taxes of what they sell it for (gone are the days of claiming full retail).

Hello Mike, personally I'd do exactly what you did on here. Give someone a full disclosure and let them decide. At least you can say you warned them. I'd be much more willing to purchase a motorcycle where the owner could tell me everything about it rather than a bike that had no paperwork or owner history.
What he said
rolleyes.gif

Post it for sale. Full disclosure. Lots of people like to wrench. It'll sell if you price it right, or drop the price until it does. Someone might buy it to part it out.
Donating it will not net you much... for vehicles I believe you have to wait until the charity sells it, then it nets you about 15% off your taxes of what they sell it for (gone are the days of claiming full retail).

What he said
rolleyes.gif
Good advice here. +1 or + 2 + whatever

Give it a Viking's funeral.
When I shop for a birthday card, I just read them in the store until one makes me laugh out loud. That's the one I buy.

So if that's a birthday card, I buy it.

Probably won't do it, though.

I wasn't sure how donating worked, so that helps. Guess it's going to go out there and see what the market thinks it's worth. Thanks everybody.

What makes you think that it's not just the clutch slipping? My non-mechanical neighbor just replaced the clutch on his '07 FJR last week. He bought the parts on eBay for $54 and did it himself with no difficulty. His '07 has much less than 100k miles on it and his clutch plates had almost no friction surfaces left.

The worst problem with the bike, the main reason I decided to switch, really, is I'm afraid the transmission has started to slip. It's only done it twice under hard acceleration, but I'm pretty sure it won't start getting better miraculously.
I'd second this suggestion - I took apart the clutch on my new Ninja 1000 (factory issue that I won't belabor here - now fixed) and it was WAAAAAYY simpler than I would have thought. Buy some new plates and see if that fixes it - might be worth a lot more in pricing upside and good sleeping knowing that you're not handing off something that might not last very long.

You could also probably find enough clutch plates at a salvage yard to get the price below $50 if you wanted to try - many models share part numbers across various models and even manufacturers as nearly all Japanese motorcycles come with clutches from the same supplier (FCC)