is my tire shot?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bete

Reaction score
I tried to find some info I saw a while back on this but had no luck. My question is, how do you tell if these z6 tires are done? I don't like having no wear bar in the center. I have 4000miles on them now and I am leaving for a 3000mile trip in a week. Thanks bete.

I tried to find some info I saw a while back on this but had no luck. My question is, how do you tell if these z6 tires are done? I don't like having no wear bar in the center. I have 4000miles on them now and I am leaving for a 3000mile trip in a week. Thanks bete.
Tough call. Typical expected rear tire life, average and across the board, is probably about 7K. Some get less, some get more, depending on the tire and riding habits.

When in doubt, change it out. Unless you don't mind taking a chance and/or you know of some sickle shops along your route where you can get a new tire put on if need be, and you're not on a real tight schedule.

This is how you know when your Z6 tire is shot....

nicetire.jpg

Came home 260 miles at 80+mph with it looking like that.

Bad tire. yeah OK.

Remember lemmings, if it ain't an Avon, it ain't shit! Right?? :rolleyes:

But seriously bete, replace it now. You're only good for another 1k or so. Then you can ride on in confidence, contrary to what the "flock" says.

nicetire.jpg

Bad tire. yeah OK.

But seriously bete, replace it now. You're only good for another 1k or so. Then you can ride on in confidence, contrary to what the "flock" says.
Avon? Bu, bu, but I have Roadies on...

Lookit, just sell your Metzeler stock and be done with it. :grin: :p

sooooooo...what is the best replacement tire for the Z6 Metzeler??? :huh:

Ed.... :rolleyes:

There are about 4 or five alternatives...and about 4 or 5 HUNDRED asshole opinions 'round here on tires.

In no particular order:

Avon AV45, AV46

Pirelli Diablo Strada (E model is FJR specific)

Bridgestone BT-020

Michelin Pilot Road

Dunlop D220

See the never-ending recurring pointless threads section for more opinions about tires than you ever wanted to hear. :blink:

yeah, but can you use a car tire on a motorcycle if all you do is highway riding?
:p
Absolutely. People do it on sidecar hacks all the time. ;)

I'm actually quite pleased with my current Pirelli Strada (non FJR specific). It has nearly 9000 miles on it including running both the Cal24 and Utah1088 rally's and still looks like it has some mileage left in it. I was going to switch back to my tried and true Avon's for the SPANK 5 day rally, but at this point, I'm considering slapping on another set of non-FJR Strada's.

Pirelli Strada. That's what I switched to. Same design, same wet weather handling, supposedly much better wear. We'll see how that last part goes, but so far so good. 2k on the rear with no sign of wear yet. as soon as the rear wears, I'll replace both with Stradas. Z6 is currently on the front. Third one, never a problem, but I like to have the matched set. And the Strada tread pattern is identical to the Z6.

TWN.......I sold the Metz stock. Put the $$ into Pirelli. Get with the program, lemming :lol:

nicetire.jpg

Bad tire. yeah OK.

You know you can lean those scoots over, right? :lol: :p :lol: