Just bought my 1st FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trepetti

Reaction score
A 2006 with 35K on the clock. Seems to be in great shape and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

I have had an 05 FZ6 since 2012, and I took it from 3k miles to the 81k it has today. I do my own wrenching and love to take care of my bikes.

I have the FSM for the FZ6. Was wondering where to get one for the FJR. Anyone know?

Thanks

I bought a used FSM off eBay for my 2007. I think there are also pdf versions floating around the web.

A 2006 with 35K on the clock. Seems to be in great shape and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

I have had an 05 FZ6 since 2012, and I took it from 3k miles to the 81k it has today. I do my own wrenching and love to take care of my bikes.

I have the FSM for the FZ6. Was wondering where to get one for the FJR. Anyone know?

Thanks
I bought my FSM last year on ebay.com (2006-2007 Yamaha FJR1300 Motorcycle Service Manual : LIT-11616-19-83). I see they only have one pre-owned one on ebay today (also not available on amazon). Got my 2006 FJR last year with 24k on the clock. 3k more miles on it, mostly trouble free, and somewhat easier to work on than other bikes in this class. Good Luck and have fun.

I have a 2006 and these two recalls have not been performed. Do you know if a dealer will do them for no charge?
You will likely get a more accurate answer by calling dealerships than you will by asking here. If they don't give you the answer you want, look in your owners manual for the Yamaha regional phone number and call them.

I have a 2006 and these two recalls have not been performed. Do you know if a dealer will do them for no charge?
In my case, Yamaha decided not to do the recall. Wound up doing it myself with new eBay parts. I’m sure they’ll tell you it’s beyond their time window for them to cover it.

In my case, Yamaha decided not to do the recall. Wound up doing it myself with new eBay parts. I’m sure they’ll tell you it’s beyond their time window for them to cover it.
If it is a gov recall they need to either do it or reimburse you.

If it is a gov recall they need to either do it or reimburse you.
From some of what I've read, no they don't. For either case. Examples, all direct quotes:

Recalls have no expiration date. However after 8 years from the original sale date of the vehicle you may be required to pay if you wish to have the recalled part or parts replaced or corrected. If you purchased a used car you still qualify for any recalls, including those that have occurred before you bought the car.

There is no time limit on getting a recall fixed, and most dealers should honor the recall and fix your car free of charge. The only exception is if your vehicle is older than ten years at the time of the recall, the dealer may not fix the vehicle for free.
(Note the word "should" v. "must")

As a general rule, car recalls have no expiration date. Additionally, they will transfer from one owner to another. If you buy a used car and only later discover an open recall, you are entitled to the repair even though you were not the owner at the time of the recall. Once the vehicle reaches 10 years of age, the manufacturer may charge a fee for the repair.

I find it really odd that ‘06 FJR owners (new or existing ones) are given different answers in the US. I am not sure if state laws play into that, but NHTSA recalls are a must to fix - as I understand. I may be wrong, but this is what my experience was with the my bike’s recalls:
I live in California, and bought my ‘06 a little over two years ago with 7K miles on it, locally. It is a CA model. The ignition recall was done on the bike, and to two keys came with the bike. So, I can’t speak to that recall. The grounding harness issue was outstanding though. I was told by the Yamaha support rep to not to ride the bike, and have an authorized service department complete the recall before I do ride it. Of course, the part was on backorder and - during COVID - there was no expected availability given. After waiting for months I found a “new old part” on EBay in original packaging, and got it. I called my local service, and they installed it for no charge, but no reimbursement was given either. BTW, I did ride the bike while waiting for the part.
Yamaha and the service department declined to fix the the “Tech Bulletin” issues, which was the altitude sickness, and the 37 mpg readout issue. They said that the duration for fixing those issues have expired.

Called Yamaha Friday and using my VIN they verified that the 2 recalls had been taken care of.....

Thanks
Look on the steering neck of your bike. When the recall is completed, the mechanic is supposed to punch marks on the frame. If you don’t see punch marks, the recall likely wasn’t done. That was the case for my bike. Yamaha said recall was done by VIN #, dealer in Wisconsin got paid, but in reality the recall was not done. Obvious fraud by dealer and poor NHTSA recall record keeping by Yamaha.