Kawasaki H2...R

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had a new '73 H2 and it was truly an animal and scary as shit to get used to. Very big power for its day, 750 cc, two stroke triple and the lightest, weak frame welding imaginable. Poor brakes, and poor fuel economy but it would sure scoot. The Widow Maker was well named. This new version looks really scary as well.

Thinking to myself that this thing may well be a game changer. Think BIGGER. Think outside this particular box. Seems like everywhere I look: boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, and motorcycles, the equipment being produced just lately is truly state of the art and even more so, pushing the envelope. Cars delivering 6 and 700 horsepower right off the showroom floor, an ArticCat F1100 Turbo supercharged snowmobile running low 12's in the quarter mile, I could go on. Yet some of these performance godzillas are even getting respectable gas mileage.

But so often through the years, when one manufacturer produces a game changer, the others have stepped up their game. This makes me wonder what team will hit the next home run? I guarantee that motorcycle manufactures around the world are watching carefully OUR response to Big K's walk on the wild side. No doubt, it cost a small fortune to develop the H2. But will it bring home the bacon for team green? To any manufacturer, that's really the question.

But consider this: Kawasaki isn't the only shotgun in the cabinet, boys. Any number of other manufacturers can step up their game with similar performance. Take Honda for example: would anyone in their right mind deny that Soichiro's finest are fully capable of creating an equally competent machine? I'm wondering what the future holds. I'm wondering what the competition is going to field for our perusal? I'm wondering what the next couple years are going to look like. One thing's for sure, whether we like King's Island, Cedar Point, 6 Flags or Disney World, it's going to be a very interesting ride. I'm thinking that we're looking at a whole new chapter in performance.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking to myself that this thing may well be a game changer. Think BIGGER. Think outside this particular box. Seems like everywhere I look: boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, and motorcycles, the equipment being produced just lately is truly state of the art and even more so, pushing the envelope. Cars delivering 6 and 700 horsepower right off the showroom floor, an ArticCat F1100 Turbo supercharged snowmobile running low 12's in the quarter mile, I could go on. Yet some of these performance godzillas are even getting respectable gas mileage.But so often through the years, when one manufacturer produces a game changer, the others have stepped up their game. This makes me wonder what team will hit the next home run? I guarantee that motorcycle manufactures around the world are watching carefully OUR response to Big K's walk on the wild side. No doubt, it cost a small fortune to develop the H2. But will it bring home the bacon for team green? To any manufacturer, that's really the question.

But consider this: Kawasaki isn't the only shotgun in the cabinet, boys. Any number of other manufacturers can step up their game with similar performance. Take Honda for example: would anyone in their right mind deny that Soichiro's finest are fully capable of creating an equally competent machine? I'm wondering what the future holds. I'm wondering what the competition is going to field for our perusal? I'm wondering what the next couple years are going to look like. One thing's for sure, whether we like King's Island, Cedar Point, 6 Flags or Disney World, it's going to be a very interesting ride. I'm thinking that we're looking at a whole new chapter in performance.

Gary

darksider #44
Brilliant, Gary....

Your choice of words describing your thoughts are pure gold. The only thing I might possibly question is bringing the name of the legend, Soichiro, into the conversation. I love Honda...the man and the company have been an inspiration to this motorhead for 50-odd years. Sadly, though, I feel that much of the dreams, vision and imagination of Mister Honda left the company when he left this life. Honda is capable of so much more, but I fear a cadre of miserable, conservative bean-counters filled the void when the Wizard passed. Still a great company, but without the heart that used to be there.

Thinking to myself that this thing may well be a game changer. Think BIGGER. Think outside this particular box. Seems like everywhere I look: boats, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, and motorcycles, the equipment being produced just lately is truly state of the art and even more so, pushing the envelope. Cars delivering 6 and 700 horsepower right off the showroom floor, an ArticCat F1100 Turbo supercharged snowmobile running low 12's in the quarter mile, I could go on. Yet some of these performance godzillas are even getting respectable gas mileage.But so often through the years, when one manufacturer produces a game changer, the others have stepped up their game. This makes me wonder what team will hit the next home run? I guarantee that motorcycle manufactures around the world are watching carefully OUR response to Big K's walk on the wild side. No doubt, it cost a small fortune to develop the H2. But will it bring home the bacon for team green? To any manufacturer, that's really the question.

Gary

darksider #44
Brilliant, Gary....

Your choice of words describing your thoughts are pure gold. The only thing I might possibly question is bringing the name of the legend, Soichiro, into the conversation. I love Honda...the man and the company have been an inspiration to this motorhead for 50-odd years. Sadly, though, I feel that much of the dreams, vision and imagination of Mister Honda left the company when he left this life. Honda is capable of so much more, but I fear a cadre of miserable, conservative bean-counters filled the void when the Wizard passed. Still a great company, but without the heart that used to be there.
Well put, Radio.

However, doesn't it usually go that way? DIdn't we see the same thing when Disney passed off the scene, and the same when Sam Walton left us? The corporations took on a life of their own and headed down the nearest exit for the big bucks.

Not sure I agree about Honda. I don't think they have lost their vision since Soichiro left. I look back three decades I remember him saying that his "hope or dream" was for "Everyone to own and ride a motorcycle."

Not sure if he meant just the USA or if he meant the whole world. But, if you look at the motorcycles Honda has produced in the last 8 to 10 years, I don't think there's another maker in the World that has done more to make that happen. Their NX/NC 700's marketed right at the "everyone" crowd. Auto transmissions, and inexpensive motorcycles....bikes like the CB1100 perhaps not inexpensive as the 500's but still capturing a market.

This hoopla over the H2 to me is really just a "What took you so long" thing. Auto makers have been producing turbocharged production motors for awhile now. Back in the 80's there were a few turbo bikes, but for some reason they dissapeared.

So in light of new technology, better materials and the idea of making SMALL but powerful and yet efficiant engines I say yeah, what took you so long?

I also had a new '73 H2 and it was truly an animal and scary as shit to get used to. Very big power for its day, 750 cc, two stroke triple and the lightest, weak frame welding imaginable. Poor brakes, and poor fuel economy but it would sure scoot. The Widow Maker was well named. This new version looks really scary as well.
Just to be accurate here, the H1 or Mach III 500 was called the "Widow Maker" ...I know cause I had two of them. The H2 or Mach IV 750 was called the "Wheelie King" .... If my old brain remembers correctly.

The 750 handled better than the H1, which isn't saying much. I remember seeing an article in a cycle mag where someone took a 750 and added another cylinder to make it a 1000cc bike.

I saw it in person today in Orlando. That bike looks wicked. It has one seat. It's a freskin' bucket with a built in backrest on it. I guess it's so the rider doesn't fall off during the twisting of the throttle. :D

2015 NINJA H2™R VEHICLE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Vehicle

The Ninja H2R is a closed course riding use only model and is not manufactured for use on public roads, streets or highways. All usage of this vehicle should be limited to riding on a closed course.

Parts

Parts designed specifically for the H2R are for closed course riding use only and cannot be purchased without proof of H2R ownership (product registration, VIN confirmation, etc.).

Exhaust Sound

The exhaust sound level of the H2R at the time of factory shipment is 120 dB/A using Auto Cycle Union (ACU) guidelines. It is the owner’s responsibility to confirm that noise regulations of closed courses permit vehicles reaching this level of exhaust sound. Changes to the exhaust system may alter performance and sound level.

Usage, Maintenance and Warranty

As a closed course riding use only model, specific procedures must be followed when riding and maintaining the H2R:

Vehicle Tires:

Do not replace the tires on the H2R with any other brand and model than those offered as standard equipment:

Front: Bridgestone, Racing Battlax V01F Soft

Rear: Bridgestone, Racing Battlax V01R Medium

Kawasaki does not approve Bridgestone, Racing Battlax V02F &V02R tires for H2R usage.

Tire Warmers:

To prevent loss of tire grip, always use tire warmers to heat tires prior to riding the H2R. Cold tires do not provide sufficient grip and may cause loss of vehicle control and/or a crash which could result in injury or death.

Vehicle Storage:

When storing the H2R, always use front and rear motorcycle stands that keep both tires off the ground. This will prevent tire deformation and adverse impacts on performance.

Vehicle Maintenance:

In addition to regular periodic maintenance, service inspections are required every 15 hours of engine operation above 8,000r/min (rpm). These service intervals are monitored through the vehicle’s ECU with service messages displayed on the multifunction meter. (See Owner’s Manual for additional information)

Vehicle Warranty:

The H2R is sold “As is” with no warranties, express or implied. The purchaser accepts all responsibilities concerning cost of service, maintenance and repairs.

I am in the 'what took so long' camp. I owned a '85 then a 84 Kawasaki 750 Turbo GPz when they were new. It ran a max of 14 pounds of boost. It did have slightly lowered compression and oil jets aimed at the bottom of the pistons.

I remember seeing the (then) new Ninja 900 with its water cooling an fancy 4 valve heads and thinking "Man, that thing REALLY needs the Digital Fuel Injection and the turbo from mine and it would be AWESOME!"

It has only taken 28 years to get back to the dream.

Well, it might be interesting to see one, but the $50,000 price tag, plus delivery, is going to make it pretty much exclusive to racers who have a sponsor with deep pockets.

FWIW, my friend Mike Forte has a turbo 'Busa that makes similar power which he rides with several other turbo 'Busas.

Sound: + Power: ++ Cherry headers: + Affordable: +/- Tour: - - - Sport: - - - Cruise: - - - -

Ten mile ride while popping the throttle: + + + + + + + + Track racing: - - - - -

For years Mike was a sponsor for New England Dragway with Forte Racing Nights. He still hauls (not ride) his 'Busa up to NED where all the horses can run free for at least 8 seconds at a time
wink.png