Kleenex highly recommended before viewing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
paige-benn-425jh100609.jpg

The story.

That's the reason I've never served in the Military or accepted job opportunities that would take me away from my daughter for any significant length of time.

I served. I know what he feels like standing there. It hurts.

While I was on cruise my wife left me. I stepped off the USS George Washington surrounded by literally thousands of people re-uniting after months of deployment and I stood there alone. The crowd was loud, music was playing and people were screaming but it was all muffled to me. My mind reeled and I stood silently on the pier until there were only a few people left. I grabbed a cab and went to my apartment only to find that most of my stuff was gone. She left me the computer and the washing machine and dryer. She took just about everything else, including the bed. She did leave me 6 months of moldy newspapers though. I thought that was fairly generous.

I found out later, from her brother, that she left me for another woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the reason I've never served in the Military or accepted job opportunities that would take me away from my daughter for any significant length of time.
HMMMM...

Those that have SERVED, made personal and family SACRIFICES for FREEDOM won't find comfort in this selfish statement... :blink:

THIS INCLUDES ME.

WW

It's a very personal thing to decide to join the defence forces and something that requires a lot of consideration. I have the utmost respect for those who do and for those who have not should not be criticised for their personal reasons for not doing so...

It's a very personal thing to decide to join the defence forces and something that requires a lot of consideration. I have the utmost respect for those who do and for those who have not should not be criticised for their personal reasons for not doing so...
Right on, Thug.

During the Viet Nam conflict a lot of people went to alot of trouble not to serve, for a mulitude of reasons, and that was OK with us. We didn't want to have to depend on them to watch our backs anyway.

Edit: to add, So why would a family man put himself in the position of being seperated from them. I submit that one of his most compelling reasons is standing tall right by his side.

I served. I know what he feels like standing there. It hurts.
While I was on cruise my wife left me. I stepped off the USS George Washington surrounded by literally thousands of people re-uniting after months of deployment and I stood there alone. The crowd was loud, music was playing and people were screaming but it was all muffled to me. My mind reeled and I stood silently on the pier until there were only a few people left. I grabbed a cab and went to my apartment only to find that most of my stuff was gone. She left me the computer and the washing machine and dryer. She took just about everything else, including the bed. She did leave me 6 months of moldy newspapers though. I thought that was fairly generous.

I found out later, from her brother, that she left me for another woman.
That's cold. Sorry man.

HMMMM...

Those that have SERVED, made personal and family SACRIFICES for FREEDOM won't find comfort in this selfish statement... :blink:

THIS INCLUDES ME.

WW

Well, I served, as did my father and brother. I'm proud of my service, and have nothing against others who didn't, no matter their reason. One of the things military service in a free country ultimately provides is the ability for all to exercise certain choices, and the last thing I'm going to do is throw stones at someone for enjoying the type of life we helped keep available.

Well, I served, as did my father and brother. I'm proud of my service, and have nothing against others who didn't, no matter their reason. One of the things military service in a free country ultimately provides is the ability for all to exercise certain choices, and the last thing I'm going to do is throw stones at someone for enjoying the type of life we helped keep available.
Your brothers to the north helped too <_<

I do have the greatest respect for those who do choose to serve, from any country (except the ones who blow themselves up).

Why did I not serve? Not sure.......it wasn't because I don't believe in it, or because I was afraid. I guess I just grew up accepting those freedoms that have been provided by many countries, and took those freedoms for granted (like many of us do). I will say that I have talked about joining as a medic (reserves), with my wife. Is she keen on it?? Not really, but she understands my reasons.

Yesterday I took a 90 year old German man to the hospital. His wife explained to me that he had indeed been a NAZI during WW2. She said that it's something he was never proud of, and that he had been captured by the Russians and was held for over a year in one of the "camps". Man I didn't know what to think, and many thoughts rushed through my head, but I can't hold him as an individual accountable. It's groups like that (both then and now) that make you realize the need for our military.

I thank you all for your commitment and dedication to your country, and mine.

Proudly Canadian,

Matt

I too had a desire to join but my father advised to join and get a trade I wanted to join a become a super grunt (Special Air Service) like my father. But alas it never worked out. I refused to join I didn't want to do do a trade. So After a few years of fucking around I eventually became a Locomotive driver....got sick of that and Became a paramedic...did 10 years of that then ran my own OH&S/Emergency Care Education business. Now I am a Psych Nurse (With almost 3 degrees under my belt). So I have accomplished a few things I wanted to do. 1. was to educate myself and 2. was to serve my fellow country men and women, no matter where they come from or what they do or what they have done in a slightly different way.

Am I satisfied? Mostly but ya just never know whats around the corner.....Trouble is I want to know about so many other things....

Your brothers to the north helped too <_<
They were included!

Very touching!

Thankfully I was single when I served. Being separated from loved ones (parents and siblings) was difficult enough, I can't imagine the struggles a wife or husband and children must suffer. It seems so "simple" when we're not the ones involved.

Er....gentlemen, I think the reasons for serving, or not, is best relegated to another venue (thread).

I never had the privaleage of serving. I do however keep all those have and do in my heart and prayers. For all of those on this forum that have...THANK YOU for fighting for the freedom that we, the citizens of the best country in world, enjoy everyday!

While reading this w/ me, my wife asked if I was going to reply "I used my camp fire smelling, shirt sleeve. That's manly." I am active duty now and have been for 21 years. With three daughters, I have had to leave many times. It is never easy. I am getting to the point that I know soon I'll have to let some younger troop take my place.

Latest posts