LED running lights - advice please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infrared

Reaction score
Near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III.
If anybody here can help, it would be good to see some recommendations for reasonable LED running lights, at reasonable prices.

These LED lights probably would have to be fairly recent offerings, because all of the older units have those amazing "first adopter' prices.

A light intensity somewhere between high beams (+/-) and low beams would be about right, for my uses.

LED units that can blind Godzilla are NOT what is needed, here.
no.gif
If they need a dimmer for daylight use, that would really be too much.

LED running lights that cost a paycheck (or three) are also out of the question; I'm just not that rich.

Any advice for decent LEDs would be welcome. Thanks,

Infrared

Yup, ^^^^ Check out Justin and his LEDRider lights on the forum.

Purchased a set of LR4s for each of the bikes and couldn't be happier. I did choose to use a Skene dimmer for a no fuss install and adjustability it offers.

--G

I agree the Justin at LEDrider offers some nice lights and a dimmer at a good price, and I have recommended them to many price sensitive friends. I'd like to address your "first adopter" price notion. Those of us who have installed Clearwater Lights paid what you might consider to be a high price. Most of us did not however pay full retail, and we received a complete package of lights with quality CNC machined aluminum waterproof housings, mounting brackets, switch, bypass dimmer, controller and high quality wiring. In addition, I have had uninterrupted service support for any problem, replacement of a dimmer module, support on question and very reliable lighting with extremely good quality and good looking housings and mounts.

I am yet to hear of a single Clearwater Lights owner that is not delighted with their lights and consider them a good value for a quality product. I bought my lights in 2011, and I think that some Clearwaters have been running dependably since at least 2010. I hope the discount packages will last a similarly long time and miles. I think the "early adopter" price is in part an investment in higher quality and more expensive housings and components, as well as continuing product support and service. I don't think the discount lighting is comparable in those aspects. If you understand and accept the risk that comes with a discount, then that's a great deal. If you want absolute reliability, quality and customer service that continues for years, then the "expensive" lights might be a good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin (LEDRider) is currently offering clearance prices on some of his lights, and they are ones that might suit the OP.

I'd like to address your "first adopter" price notion. Those of us who have installed Clearwater Lights paid what you might consider to be a high price. If you understand and accept the risk that comes with a discount, then that's a great deal. If you want absolute reliability, quality and customer service that continues for years, then the "expensive" lights might be a good value.
TomInCA,

Yep, sure wish I could drop a paycheck or two for a pair of running lights, and I surely realize that I may have to buy another inexpensive pair before you do. Actually, once I see the Part Numbers and physical layouts, I can probably just rebuild the housings with equal-or-better LEDs if necessary one day.

I'm glad that you are happy with the expensive lights. I'd be happy with them too, no doubt. If anybody has an extra set lying around the shop, just send them here. They may be a lot more than my simple needs require, but I can adapt. I'd certainly be grateful, and I'll even pay for the shipping. Thanks.

I bought these on sale at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLEDX1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1419264717&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+12824WLEDX1

Philips 12824WLEDX1 DayLight 8 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running LightThey come with a controller so they will dim when the headlights come on, but I probably won't use it. LED doesn't draw many amps, so a transformer really isn't required.

They are designed for cars. I made some brackets out of 1" aluminum angle so they will mount vertically along the forks. The screw that holds the fender to the fork is one attachment point. Once I get the lights aimed the way I want, I will use double-sided weatherstrip tape to stick to the fork leg. It looks like the contact area for the tape will work out fine. This is still a work in progress.

I just ordered the Denali DM LED lights. Considering the specs and construction of these lights I think $229.99 delivered is a good value. I do not ride at night and consider these a good source of visibility for on-coming traffic. I plan to mount them on the lower fork reflector brackets.

LED Rider lights can be found here.

I actually have similar lights that are sold by ADVmonster. I don't remember the model number but these look like the ones.

And I have a second set of LEDs which I bought off of Ebay or AMazon. They are inexpensive 'work lights' and are available in a lot of places. The disadvantage of inexpensive LED lights is that they have cheaply made heat sinks and that makes them heavy. When all four of my LEDs are on I can see a long way down the road.

I wired both sets through a single relay such that they all go on with the high beams. I also have a switch so I can turn them off and use the high beams without the LEDs. I do not use a dimmer.

The small ones on top are the ADVmonster lights, and the big ones are the shop lights. They are mounted with brackets I got from forum member Garauld which I originally used for a pair of halogen lights.

LEDs_zps9dd3b7fa.jpg

LR4's for up top on the dimmer with the AntiVibe FZ1 Brackets, and the LR10's in amber down low on the forks or the bolts for the front fender....

I had asked about a dual set of LR4's on the dimmer, said thats a no go and they don't work well on the forks blurring your visibility of the road.... I'm just going to run the LR4's up top and then the amber hot all the time..... that should get ya noticed pretty good....

I've never felt like I was visible until I got the LR4's for daylight running.....

The LR10's should add nicely to the experience...

Another LR4 fan. I should have them remounted on my '14 after taking them off my '05 where they worked very nicely for two years. I also have his dimmers and find it to work exactly the way I envisioned it would.

I had the opportunity to work on a set of Clearwaters (forget the model name, but they were 4 led heads)) on a friend's bike that were acting up, and to be 100% truthful, I could not see that they were built any more ruggedly or better than the LR4's I have. And the LR4's cost 1/4th the Clearwater equivalent from what I can tell.

Thanks, one and all, for the suggestions.

Haven't made a choice yet, but it's good to know what is available, by the riders who have them.

We have more snow coming, so I think this will become an easy winter project here.

Cheers,

Infrared

Infared, if you want to see the mini's or the LR4's in person PM me and we could hook up- I am just north of SLC.