Long trip planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ymillman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my first FJR two years ago (2016 ES model) and put about 7K miles on it so far. Anyway... have been thinking of retirement the last few years and finally pulling the trigger... two weeks of work left to close out a 36 years career :) Good bye corporate America!!!!!! One week later I plan to depart Minneapolis and head west to Jasper, AB (via North Dakota, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Calgary, Icefields pkwy).

Then down to Seattle to spend a few weeks with my sister, hang with old friends, etc. Then the fun begins: I plan to ride all the way to San Diego, visiting friends and relatives along the way. Then turn back toward home through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (visit with my kid in Denver). From Denver its a familiar trip, having done it many times in a car.

I think I am gonna motel it. Camping feels like too much work for my 58yo body. I am not making any reservations (except one night in Jasper on June 21 as it seems very busy) and have an open timeline. May take 6 weeks, 2 months, more or less - i can be gone as long as it takes. Got a green light from the boss (wife)
bye.gif
I am a little worried about the heat in the south west.

Any tips, pointers, advice, warnings, etc. are appreciated. I have stock tires (BT023) with 7k which still look pretty good. Plan on riding on them to Seattle and getting a new set put on there. Any advice on where to go for tires in the Seattle area? I am riding stock seat but plan a stop at Lamm in Redding, CA to get a better seat.

I have not done any service on the bike, other than regular oil/filter changes and the final drive oil.

I have been riding for 30 years, with some touring on various Hondas (PC800, ST1300) before the FJR, but nothing this ambitious (never had time until now).

Wish me luck
smile.png

Yury

Sounds like we'll be in the Jasper-Banff area at about the same time, but I'll be heading a ways west of there by the 21st. We've got a thing going on in Nakusp, BC. I'll be camping as much as possible, but I'm concerned about campsites and/or room availability around there in that period. The Laam seat will be a big step up for you. Hope you have an appointment with him.

There are lots and lots of threads about preparation for long trips that you should search out. Same for route and highlight ideas. Good luck.

I rode to Minneapolis via Canada last summer and had a great time. If you want to pm me with your phone number I would be glad to give you some answers to your questions.

It's hard to imagine that you are leaving Nakusp on the day before about 80 of your closest friends (perhaps most of which you haven't actually met yet) will be arriving. Since it doesn't appear that time is an issue, please consider staying for the CFR gathering.

Congrats on your retirement. I'm two years behind ya. I suspect it will take you a few days to realize that there truly is no hurry. You have no where to go and all day to get there.

For the rest of your life.

Ride on, man....

Congrats on retirement. Yes it will be damn hot in the southwest and cold on the coast but still better than working,eh. Be sure to ride hwy 36 from Red Bluff to the coast after you get the seat. It will help keep your tire profie round.

Just replaced my Laam with a Russell. YMMV. Let me know when your in town, if the planets line up, maybe get a beer.

Desert heat is BRUTAL if you are not used to it. We had 70 days over 100 degrees here in Redding last year. Make sure that you have a hydration system and use it. Also a good idea to carry a spare 1.5 liter, just in case. You might want to pick up a cooling vest in San Diego for the run to Denver. Agree with Bugnatr, 36 is a blast. If you want to ride the whole thing so you can get the photo op at Red Bluff, cool. If you want to local back route to Platina, PM me.

Keep an eye on those tires. I think most pull the OEM's as soon as they get the bike (I know I did) and I really don't have any idea how long they last.

I would also check for road closures along your "planned" route.

AFAIK, there is still a list of members, where they are located and what type of help they can give in a pinch. This is a group of the finest degenerates anywhere.

Congrats on the retirement, I am still looking at 10-15 years.

Sounds like an epic trip, can't wait to read the ride report.

Gregory

Last edited by a moderator:
First off congrats on the retirement! **If** I could figure out a reasonable priced way to bridge the health care gap until Medicare...I'd be right there with you.

Begin your trip with new ties. When you're on the road, the last thing you want to be concerned with is tires, or for that matter, any bike maintenance items. Get them swapped and take care of anything else maintenance wise before you leave.

Depending on "where" you are in Seattle, there's a whole crew of forumites here to help. I'm northeast of the metro area and set up to mount & balance tires. AuburnFJR is 70 miles south of me in...wait for it...Auburn, and can also mount & balance tires.

PM me with any questions or if you need help when you're in the area.

~G

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Already got some ideas I wouldn't have thought of. Like changing the route south out of Seattle, skipping Oregon coast (slow speed limits and tourist crowds) for an inland route that will be faster and less crowded.

I was going to take 299 from the coast to Redding and 36 back to the coast. Now with possibly going inland to Redding, will just take 36 back to 101. My next stop will be Healdsburg to see my cousin.

Gregory - will PM you when I get close to Redding, should be around July 12-14. I talked to Seth Laam and he has me tentatively scheduled for July 13.

EscapeFJRtist - I will pm you when I get into Seattle (shooting for June 24-25 time frame). I am staying in Magnolia.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Already got some ideas I wouldn't have thought of. Like changing the route south out of Seattle, skipping Oregon coast (slow speed limits and tourist crowds) for an inland route that will be faster and less crowded.
I was going to take 299 from the coast to Redding and 36 back to the coast. Now with possibly going inland to Redding, will just take 36 back to 101. My next stop will be Healdsburg to see my cousin.

Gregory - will PM you when I get close to Redding, should be around July 12-14. I talked to Seth Laam and he has me tentatively scheduled for July 13.

EscapeFJRtist - I will pm you when I get into Seattle (shooting for June 24-25 time frame). I am staying in Magnolia.
I live in Eureka, 299 is excellent and avoid 36 as they are only opening it twice a day due to construction at the Humboldt county line West. Redding will be scalding hot, Enjoy!

Keep in mind, the Humboldt Half Mile Flat Track race in July 14th, come on out and root for an old fart on a flat track bike! (me)

FWFE

Agreeded on the scalding hot & fresh tires. If you need to make time, then by all means skip the OR coast. However, you will be giving up some damn fine country by doing so. One of the advantages of the FJR is the ability to dispatch with slow tourist!

Sounds like an awesome idea for a retirement gift to yourself. The wealth of info you will get here is priceless. Listen to them all. Don't forget your CamelBak for the hot areas. And if you're coming back from Denver to Minnesota, try out Nebraska highway 97 between Mullen and Valentine. It goes through the Nebraska sand hills, and is much more interesting than the interstate. You can make very "efficient" progress, and won't see another vehicle in either direction for fifteen or more minutes at a time. (Make sure you have enough fuel).

Can't wait to hear about the trip. Ride safe, and have fun!

Damm it!! I was looking for something (ANYTHING) interesting to ride through Nebraska on my way home from Spearfish. Hwy 97 is kind going the wrong way.

(minor thread jack there, sorry)

Only 150 mile detour.......

You ARE bringing the shampoo bottle, right?

I like the cooling sleeves and used them a lot on one cross country trip. You can put them on dry when it's cool out for some warmth. Remove them very easily as it gets warmer. Then when hot, wet them in any bathroom sink and put it on. You can even wet them with part of a water bottle and ziplock bag.

The shirt was a little warm and much harder to water down. Don't like it nearly as well as sleeves. Head one works some but dries out too fast then gets hot.

Use plenty on sunscreen. Especially between short gloves and sleeves of jack. Got nice burn strip there in just one day on interstate riding. Of course neck is other area to cover.

<snip> EscapeFJRtist - I will pm you when I get into Seattle (shooting for June 24-25 time frame). I am staying in Magnolia.
Depending on your schedule and when you're leaving Seattle, the PNW Tech Day is Saturday, July 7th. Fun event to attend, lots of bench racing, little wrenching, meet the local gang and see 20-50 FJRs in one spot. Details in the PNW section.

Or an LD Comfort shirt soaked in water or maybe the cooling sleeves. I haven't tried the latter method yet but the LD crowd swears by it.
wink.png

https://ldcomfort.com
Echoing Tyler, a long-sleeve LD Comfort top soaked every couple hours makes a hot day much more bearable. Open & close vents as need for temperature control!

~G

If you're from humid country you may not think much of the suggestions for the wet sleeves or shirt or cooling vest, but wherever you're from, if you've ever ridden through huge sections of the west or southwest, you KNOW the value of them. Easy enough to carry along against that long hot day you're sure to come to out this way.