Long trip planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, huge thanks for all the tips. I ordered some cooling items from LDComfort and will rig up some type of a hydration apparatus. The old credit card is getting a good work out
smile.png

I keep looking at Nakusp rally and trying to figure out if I could fit it in somehow. I always wanted to ride icefields pkwy to Jasper and then cross into BC and head down toward Seattle on hwy 5. Did not want to backtrack on same roads... and Nakusp is kind of hard to get to unless I go back to Lake Louise and west on 1. Anyway, will see how it goes.

Or an LD Comfort shirt soaked in water or maybe the cooling sleeves. I haven't tried the latter method yet but the LD crowd swears by it.
wink.png

https://ldcomfort.com
Echoing Tyler, a long-sleeve LD Comfort top soaked every couple hours makes a hot day much more bearable. Open & close vents as need for temperature control!
~G
Another vote for this. Didn't believe it until I tried it. Crossing the plains in triple digit temps I stopped about every hour and a half, held up my arms and poured water down each one to soak the sleeves of the shirt. Also poured it down the front and back and then closed up my all black Roadcrafter except for the sleeve zippers. Amazing how cool it felt in there until the next stop. Oh, and soaked whatever helmet liner I was using too. Couldn't keep that wet enough though.

Congrats on your retirement and now acting on your dream to take an extensive motorcycle tour. I retired in 1999 and have taken numerous rides over the roads of the southwest and northwest. As a side note, I went to school at Winona State University back in the 1966's.

If I were riding your itinerary, I would head directly to the southern most part of the country you plan to visit and go west to CA. I believe you said you were going to visit San Diego. From there I would go northeast avoiding Los Angeles and work your way back to the coast. Be aware the Pacific Coast Hwy is not open all the way. Check to see where you need to detour but get back on U.S. 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy) to Half Moon Bay, If you have never been to San Francisco you may want to pass through and then pick up U.S.1 again and take it all the way to and through Oregon to wherever you want to exit the coast and head toward Portland. From Portland you can take a very scenic rout along the Columbia River to Hood River (birth place of wind sailing) and cross the river to proceed to Seattle. From Seattle you can choose your routing to Canada.

I have suggested you go to the southwest first as the heat in the southwest is something I would avoid in mid and late summer. The pacific northwest has a nice Indian summer and your chances of good weather are much better in late August and early September. This is just my experience.

Get new tires and have the bike fully prepped for the ride. You damn well better make hotel reservations or you may be camping out.

If you want to use a hydration system, I'll let you use mine. All you'll need to get is a new bite valve and perhaps a new hose. Nothing wrong with my bite valve or hose, but, you know, they're used. It attaches to one of your pillion foot rests and you run the hose up to your tank bag. Holds about a gallon of water and is somewhat insulated.

PM me if interested.

Mike

As the others have said, hydration is key to a successful and memorable ride.

HEY!!!! Those BT023s came with the bike when new, right? They're gonna wear out rapidly as you approach 9,000 to 10,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hud is correct... I think the stock tires are barely 'OK' and I would get the new ones on BEFORE YOU LEAVE vs. somewhere unknown out on the road.

Congrats on your retirement! Since you're in MPLS we may see each other around. Tripper Mike hosts a great tech session... and does LD like a pro.

I camped in Glacier last fall, and drove up 93 to Banff and Jasper to enjoy the Icefields Pkwy. Maybe stop and walk by some lakes, waterfalls and glaciers like we did!
punk.gif

One technique we have used for beating the heat is to try and stay out of it. Get up nice and early and hit the road when it’s relatively cool out. Try and get off the road by 3PM at the latest. After that is when the heat is worst and the truck traffic turbulence makes highway riding miserable. Now that you’re retired you don’t need to cover as many miles in a day anyway, right?

2 weeks from May 27th... sounds like it's just about departure time. And it's HOT here, triple digits all week. Being a dry heat, anything wet helps a lot.

It's all been said before- I pour water on my shirt under my jacket, and I have even wet down my jacket. It helps a lot.

Also get your riding done early in the desert SW.. I bought my FJR in Phoenix last August and rode it home to Las Vegas, around 325 miles.

I started early with 80 degree temps in Phoenix. It hit 100 around the Arizona/Nevada state line, and 104-105 as I got into Las Vegas.

Drink a lot, plan for early, short riding days, and expect to get tired riding in the heat. Good luck, I'm about 2 years behind you!!

One technique we have used for beating the heat is to try and stay out of it. Get up nice and early and hit the road when it’s relatively cool out. Try and get off the road by 3PM at the latest. After that is when the heat is worst and the truck traffic turbulence makes highway riding miserable. Now that you’re retired you don’t need to cover as many miles in a day anyway, right?
^^^^++ That is exactly what we do. Hit the road at 7:00AM while the Harley guys are sleeping off a hang over and the air is crisp and clear. Check in to the hotel around 3:00PM clean the bike, take a shower, and walk the the closest brew pub. Early to bed and start off over again next day.

This. We try to leave by sunup, plan where we'll eat for lunch, and where we stop for the night.(hotels/motels with a pool)..try to hit that around 2:30-3:00 so I can chill at the pool with a drink (and a cigar) then find a spot for dinner. Early to bed...rinse and repeat.

Definitely try to avoid going through larger cities at rush hour. (Ran into Memphis once at early morning rush, at least it wasn't hot yet)

I try not to over plan. If I'm not on a time table there's no reason not to just take it slow and smell the roses (meaning stopping often and seeing the available local sights)

Have fun ... that's all that's important.

Festar doesn't plan, I try to figure out where we are headed, we get up early, ride all day, stop after 12-14 hours and then get a cheap motel. Best is when we get To stay with friends or acquaintences.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Already got some ideas I wouldn't have thought of. Like changing the route south out of Seattle, skipping Oregon coast (slow speed limits and tourist crowds) for an inland route that will be faster and less crowded.
I was going to take 299 from the coast to Redding and 36 back to the coast. Now with possibly going inland to Redding, will just take 36 back to 101. My next stop will be Healdsburg to see my cousin.

Gregory - will PM you when I get close to Redding, should be around July 12-14. I talked to Seth Laam and he has me tentatively scheduled for July 13.

EscapeFJRtist - I will pm you when I get into Seattle (shooting for June 24-25 time frame). I am staying in Magnolia.
I don't know if this fits in to your plan at all, but if you decide to stay on the coast longer and avoid the Central valley heat there's a great road that leaves PCH just north of Bodega Bay and drops you into Geyserville just north of your target in Healdsburg. Its called Skaggs Springs Road and reaches the ocean at a place called Stewart's Point. There's only a little mini-mart there with what I think are still functioning gas pumps.

The road starts you through a heavy tree canopy and is a cool little goat track for the first 20 miles or so, then opens up into a full-on road racing circuit for the next 20. Don't know if you're into that kind of thing, but its an amazing road! I was behind ex-skibum one time and he was hauling serious a** with his lady-friend on the back. Very inspiring to follow along
smile.png

If it was me I'd suggest from Grant's Pass:

199 to Cave Junction

Rockydale Road to Grayback Road to Happy Camp

96 South to Willow Creek

299 East to Weaverville

3 South to 36 West

36 West to 101

101 to Leggett

1 to Stewarts Point

Skaggs Spring Road to Geyserville / 101 South

Healdsburg

That's a lot of weaving through the Pacific Coast range and Trinity Alps - all very beautiful riding though, and you could cut off a lot if you decided you were short of time or getting tired. If you do all of that its 561 miles from Grant's Pass and 13hrs20mins according to Google Maps, but what a day it would be!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"101 to Stewarts Point"

What I think russperry was trying To show above is:

101 to Leggett

CA 1 to Stewart's Point

Skaggs Spring Road to Healdsburg.

101 goes inland and does not go through Stewarts Point. Don't miss CA1 from Leggett to Stewart's Point. Don't be afraid to pass when needed. Watch for California Highway Patrol.

"101 to Stewarts Point" What I think russperry was trying To show above is: 101 to Leggett CA 1 to Stewart's Point Skaggs Spring Road to Healdsburg. 101 goes inland and does not go through Stewarts Point. Don't miss CA1 from Leggett to Stewart's Point. Don't be afraid to pass when needed. Watch for California Highway Patrol.
Yes that's what I meant - sorry that my ramblings needed a translator! Thanks John :)

No New England....next time. Lose those o.e.m. rubbers. Finally, you're doing what we all want to do. Have lots of fun. Happy trails.

Spousal Unit and I depart on a 16 day meander on this coming Friday. It was only yesterday that we agreed that we will turn left (West) instead of right at the end of our gravel road. We plan to head to Washington and again ride the Cascade Hwy and then come back thru Steven's Pass. After that we will decide where we will go the next day the night before using Butler maps to pick a route. Our general route is thru Oregon to Northern Kalifornia, putz around there and then make our way to Southern Utah and the Montrose area of Colorado. Wild fires may keep us out of much of Colorado. After that we are not sure what we will do. We've done the detailed planning thing and find it a pain in the ass and a fruitless endeavor. Last thing I want to do is feel like I have a scedule to keep. Not sure how far we will get, but we can head home at any point. We will camp much of the time so reservations are not a big concern

I tell you what... If I lived in Montana (or Wyoming, or Idaho) I’d have a real hard time riding pretty much anywhere else. I envy your dilemma.

Hey guys, thanks for all the equipment and route tips. I had new PR4's mounted on Tuesday, so that's done. Also had them change break fluid and replace the air filter, and grease everything. Ordered two types of cooling/wet garments (from LDComfort, and another brand vest). Will report on how it performed. Also, getting hydration rig from Garauld - to be installed and tested this weekend. Last day of work tomorrow... Now I have to run... late for my retirement party
bye.gif