Min bed length for 05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardsNbikes

Reaction score
My bike is sadly across the country from me at this time and I'm considering my shipping/loading/trailering/riding options. What is the minimum bed length to safely support a FJR in a truckbed or trailer? I trust the length would be most forward point of front tire to far rear contact point of the rear tire, then adjusting for whatever chocks would used.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Carlos

These were of my FJR and Nissan Titan Crew Cab with the 5.5 foot bed. The standard size bed of a truck is 6.5 foot

FJRinTruck006.jpg

FJRinTruck001.jpg

FJRinTruck005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6.5' standard bed would be necessary, 6' at least. I just measured my '05 and it's 6.5' from tip of front tire back and encompassing the entire contact patch. 6' and you'd be sitting on the tailgate. You have to really careful with these tailgate supports. If I were to have to go cross country for that purpose, I'd invest in new cable supports and maybe even slide some thick >3/4" plywood in to put some of that load forward. I know a few people that have had those cables go bad. Chevy even had a recall on some a number of years back.

Regarding getting it here, I play the "what if" fuel cost game a lot with my Ford F150 SuperCrew. I'd bet it would cost a heck of a lot less to have it shipped out here than to haul it. Ultimately, if you have the time, RIDE IT!!

A 6.5' standard bed would be necessary, 6' at least. I just measured my '05 and it's 6.5' from tip of front tire back and encompassing the entire contact patch. 6' and you'd be sitting on the tailgate. You have to really careful with these tailgate supports. If I were to have to go cross country for that purpose, I'd invest in new cable supports and maybe even slide some thick >3/4" plywood in to put some of that load forward. I know a few people that have had those cables go bad. Chevy even had a recall on some a number of years back.
Good tips! I'm getting a wheel chock and ramp this week to set up my F150 super crew. Same deal, 5.5 foot bed. I do have the bed-extender cage, but I like the idea of re-inforcements for the tail gate.

Want to be able to drive the slabs and ride the views when I have a passenger!

There's a ride coming up with a 6 hour ride to the start location. Then two days of scenery, and a 6 hour ride home!

Good tips! I'm getting a wheel chock and ramp this week to set up my F150 super crew. Same deal, 5.5 foot bed. I do have the bed-extender cage, but I like the idea of re-inforcements for the tail gate.

Want to be able to drive the slabs and ride the views when I have a passenger!

There's a ride coming up with a 6 hour ride to the start location. Then two days of scenery, and a 6 hour ride home!
Let me know how that loading works. You'll definitely be riding the tailgate on that configuration and it will have some leverage on it, too. I'd find a loading somewhere so you can reduce the angle on that ramp! My SCrew sits a bit high in the ass end since it's 4WD, making it a little precarious riding a nearly 700# 2 wheeler up the ramp.

Since I have a trailer, I've never run a bike in the back of my SCrew and I also have a SnugTop cap and a TruckVault gun & supply vault that raises the floor of my bed 8". that stuff could come out if nee be, though. I hate towing a trailer only because I can't speed in California!

I have a dodge 2500 with an 8 foot bed. So the only issue I have ever had was getting it into the truck Real tall from the factory. Like I am 6' 5" tall and stepping into it with out the side steps can be hard even for me sometimes depending on the surface it is on. I use a CONDOR front wheel chock to secure it in the truck. All I did was mount the condor to a 3/4" piece of plywood and slide it into the front of the bed. Drive the bike up and onto the wheel chock. Once locked in the bike can be secured by one person. The weight of the bike will hold the condor in place.

Proper tie down is essential. I took a bike from portland to snohomish in a pickup. In a really long haul wheel chocks are nice. But not essential. I have been told by numerous sources the following (without any wheel chocks). Move the bike forward (centered in the bed) so the front wheel touches the front of the bed. Use tie downs from the front left and right toward the front lower left and right of the bed pulled snuggly so as to put some pressure forward on the front tire (not too much). Then one more tie down over the back of the rearward seat going down, snugged while sitting on the bike to somewhat compress the suspension. Then just one more maybe from the rear lower left and right thru the rear wheel snugged somewhat.

AND NEVER, I MEAN NEVER DRIVE THAT DAMN TRUCK WITH THE SIDESTAND OR CENTERSTAND DOWN. Besides wrecking the bike or stand, that stand only makes the ride of the bike worse.

Drove 300 miles without a hitch. Could have driven forever. But I agree with the other posts. Ride it home. And ride it like you stole it!!

Regarding getting it here, I play the "what if" fuel cost game a lot with my Ford F150 SuperCrew. I'd bet it would cost a heck of a lot less to have it shipped out here than to haul it. Ultimately, if you have the time, RIDE IT!!
Absolutely. I know some shipping outfits that will ship bikes, depending on size, for $500-1000 (one-way) in their crates. A cross-country trip from Cal to Florida and back will be tons of gas plus campground/motel fees no matter how ghetto I do the trip.

Flying and riding back is my preferred option :yahoo:

boardsNbikes

My bed is 5.5 also so I used 3/4 plywood cut to the length of my bed and tailgate with two 2x4's screwed on end next to the tires to give added support to the tailgate.

My bed is 5.5 also so I used 3/4 plywood cut to the length of my bed and tailgate with two 2x4's screwed on end next to the tires to give added support to the tailgate.
Where did you screw on the 2x4s? Lengthwise? Widthwise? At the permitter? Near the tires?

boardsNbikes

Where did you screw on the 2x4s? Lengthwise? Widthwise? At the permitter? Near the tires?

boardsNbikes
The 2x4 are the same length as the plywood and run (on edge not flat) along the tires, one on each side. I screwed them from the underside of the plywood with 2-1/2 in screws every foot or so. The 2x4's make a slight v-shape (the front tire is narrower) and are centered in the truck. I just run the bike up the ramp and the 2x4 guide it in place. Its pretty strong and no worries about my tailgate this way.

8ft bed is perfect.

Having something as comfy as this rig made the depressing trip less embarrassing...(front wheel bearing was shot)

truck_haul01.jpg

The tailgate is down because we were just about to unload it. It was closed during the trip.