Mounting an EZ Pass transponder on a 3rd Gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I keep an EZ Pass on the FJR as there are a couple of highways around here that are toll roads (I-93 in NH and I-95 in NH and ME). I don't ride these roads all that often, but when I do it is nice to be able to use the fly-through and not stop to pay a toll. Plus you get a discount (in NH) for using an EZ Pass vs. cash.

For a while I was just letting them photograph the plate and charge me (automatically) that way (note: you have to be sure to register the plate number with EZ Pass or they send you a ticket in the mail), but they recently made it so you lose the EZ Pass discount if they have to charge you via photograph. So that makes it worth making sure the transponder is up on the windshield and can be read at the toll booth.

At first I mounted the transponder to the back side of the windshield, but the curvature of the shield is enough that the 3M Dual Lock fasterers do not engage very securely. So I decided to fab up a little "Yankee Frugal EZ Pass holder". (Yankee Frugal is the northeast version of redneck!)

I just traced the shape of my transponder onto a piece of cardboard, and then added a 30mm wide x 75mm long "handle" off the bottom. I ised the cardboard template to mark the pattern on an 8" x 10" x .093" thick sheet of Lexan Polycarbonate sheet from Home Despot for $4, and then cut that out using a saber saw. Smooth the edges with a file and sandpaper.

2015-11-13%2013.19.25.jpg

Stuck the transponder to the holder with a fresh pair of Dual Lock strips (you can get them for free from EZ Pass at their office), and then slip the "handle" of the holder down between the windshield bracket and windshield. There is just enough clearance to creat enough tension to hold it securely, but it is simple to slip it out and throw the whole thing in a locked bag when you don't need it, or don't want it walking away.

2015-11-13%2013.20.52.jpg

If you wanted to make it more permanent and eliminate the ability to slip it out, you could just heat the lexan and bend the bottom edge to wrap back around the bottom of the bracket, then mount the windsheild over it.

I had considered drilling a single hole and putting a ty-wrap around the transponder, but I'm pretty confident the dual-lock will do the job now that the mounting surface is perfectly flat.

That is all...

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do that when I had a tank bag with a clear map pocket. My Bags Connection tank bag doesn't have one, and I have my RD mounted up there anyway.

Plus it did not register with EZ Pass on the high speed fly throughs very well there. I'm hoping having it up on the shield registers more reliably.

I had the same problem as Fred in regards to placing it in the clear map holder. I've never had it register while it was in there.

The curvature of the windscreen must be more pronounced for the G3 than it is for the G1. Mine seems to stay put quite well mounted behind the screen.

However it is a slick idea Fred. I can see the big advantage in that swapping from one bike to another, or back into the cage, as being much easier.

I'll just put mine in Freds tank bag.
Not my tank bag anymore Mark. How's that big boy workin' out for ya?

The curvature of the windscreen must be more pronounced for the G3 than it is for the G1. Mine seems to stay put quite well mounted behind the screen.
Correct. I should have mentioned that. I had no problem on my 1st Gen just sticking the transponder to the inside of the shields. Just had to have a set of dual locks for each shield if you use more than one. The 3rd Gen shields are more curved and have that handy bracket right behind the shield that the others do not have. So this idea will only work for the 3rd Gens

Holy crap, did they design that 4" mechanical monster back in the 70's? The Texas version is a 2" sticker that I keep in the glovebox and it picks it up fine there.

Holy crap, did they design that 4" mechanical monster back in the 70's? The Texas version is a 2" sticker that I keep in the glovebox and it picks it up fine there.
That is the smaller version. They only started using these about 2 years ago. It measures ~ 3 1/2" x 2".

The older versions (of which I still have 3) are 3 1/2" x 3".

They'll get smaller in no time. Florida's first transponders were the size of the iphone6 and about an inch thick. Now its a sticker that uses the windshield for power. Good Luck!

I just mounted mine to the inside of the glove box lid. When I need to use it I just pop the door open. Always there and always safe.

Old version on my bike works fine right on the windshield...but then I don't ride a pink bike.

35D1B72A-FEBA-4F1D-B401-54748208D783.jpg

Did you know the motorcycle rate for EZ-Pass is less than cars?

Unless the devices in your area are less responsive than what FastPass has here in CA, all you need to do is have it in your pocket. I have no intention to mount that piece of shit on my bike. I have a high viz vest with a Velcro attached chest pocket. I removed the pocket and stick the FastPass transponder in tis place. It also works just as well in your jacket pocket.

I never said anyone else had to do it my way. I was merely offering up what I thought was a good idea. If you already have something else that is working for you, well then... good for you!
rolleyes.gif

And no, the EZ Pass system in ME and NH does not pick up transponders reliably if they are inside your tank bag, in your jacket pocket, or in your glove box. I have tried all three in the past and when the bill comes I see they charged me by plate photo (it lists the plate # vs the transponder #).

As stated in my OP the objective was to get the EZ Pass up on the windshield so it would register reliably when I'm riding under the antennas at 75 mph in the fly-through toll lanes. But the curve of a 3rd Gen shields is not conducive to just using the Dual Lock fasteners on a 3rd Gen, which is why the title says "Mounting an EZ Pass transponder on a 3rd Gen".

Yes, motorcycles are a reduced rate, but you have to register that transponder as a motorcycle class. Also, as mentioned earlier, you get a discount ion top f the MC discount for using an EZ pass transponder vs cash or plate photo.

Initially, I mounted mine to the windshield brace using those Velcro, adjusting strips, that has a slit in one end. Put the other end through it, then tighten it by pulling, and use the excess to wrap it upon itself. That worked for a year and a half.

Once I saw that Vic has his mounted to the inside of his smuggler lid, I put mine inside the tank bag. It was hit and miss in there. So now I keep it in the tank bag map window, along with the garage door opener. Haven't any problems....that I know of.

Cool idea though Fred. 👍