My hero

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember where I found this, but it helped me when I lost my dad..........

"DEATH is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room.

I am I, you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name. Speak to me in the easy way which you

always used.

Put no difference into your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without effect, without the shadow of a ghost in it.

Life means all that it ever meant…… It is the same as it ever was;

There is unbroken continuity.

Why should I be out of your mind because I am out of your sight?

I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner……………all is well."

My condolences are extended to you.

Rogue, sorry for your loss, too, my friend.

As some of the NorCal folks know, my Dad (And yes, he was my hero.) passed away in September while we were on the Highway 36 ride. One of the things in my life I am most happy for is that we always kept the list "short". He had no doubt that I loved and respected him and I had no doubt as to how he felt about me. I will always be greatful that I didn't waste the time when Alzheimers was beginning to affect his memory but I used the periods when he was still lucid to assure him that the life lessons he taught and the example of life as he lived it will continue. By the time cancer returned to his body and attacked his bladder (his last year was spent in a rest home/hospice care) Pop was a physically a shadow of himself and mentally about 3 years old. It was too late for those who "put it off"; it's a burden they will have to carry.

Some of us with a certain life philosophy believe there are no more tears, no more pain, etc., etc. His life on this orb is finished so we celebrate his entry into the next kingdom.

For those who will read this, I encourage you to make the most of whatever moments you have to tell your family, friends and acquaintences how much you care for and appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My condolences, I lost my dad 9 days ago.

Sorry to hear that.... It's never easy.

Take care.

mary

I just got word this Monday from Dad’s doctor that he has a cancerous mass in his pancreas and is not a good candidate for any chemo or operation because of his age (83) and poor health. I am in route for Rockport, Tx (home) to help Mom take care of him at our house with hospice help (3 days a week). He is going downhill in a hurry and will be in a lot of pain. Be praying for our family. His name is also Dan (Jr.).

Sorry to hear that he passed away..

I lost my MIL to the same disease. It's tough.

Take care.

mary

My condolences are extended to you.
Rogue, sorry for your loss, too, my friend.

As some of the NorCal folks know, my Dad (And yes, he was my hero.) passed away in September while we were on the Highway 36 ride. One of the things in my life I am most happy for is that we always kept the list "short". He had no doubt that I loved and respected him and I had no doubt as to how he felt about me. I will always be greatful that I didn't waste the time when Alzheimers was beginning to affect his memory but I used the periods when he was still lucid to assure him that the life lessons he taught and the example of life as he lived it will continue. By the time cancer returned to his body and attacked his bladder (his last year was spent in a rest home/hospice care) Pop was a physically a shadow of himself and mentally about 3 years old. It was too late for those who "put it off"; it's a burden they will have to carry.

Some of us with a certain life philosophy believe there are no more tears, no more pain, etc., etc. His life on this orb is finished so we celebrate his entry into the next kingdom.

For those who will read this, I encourage you to make the most of whatever moments you have to tell your family, friends and acquaintences how much you care for and appreciate them.
Sorry to hear about your dad... I can empathize with you... my mom is 95 and has dimentia....

She's just not really all there anymore....

Take care.

mary

I really don't know what to say. My Pops is still kicking but I seriously dread the day.. I can only say to you Donald that I have said many prayers for you and your family and hope you find peace with this concept called life which also includes death. I wish the best for you and your family. dcarver.

Adding my condolences to the list.

I'm fortunate to still have both my parents but DH lost his Mom earlier this year. His Dad died many years ago. Now, DH has to be the grown up in the family. He is no longer the younger generation. Some big shoes to fill.

Wishing you strength, to get through this tough time.

Jill

My condolences Dan, his spirit is still alive in you. Help your Mom through the grieving process and share the good memories together.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully the time you spent w/ him will give you peace knowing only what you know of it. My mom died when I was 17 on new years eve.I miss her,but the memories and talks we had those last few months definitely gave a peace that I rarely see people get in these cases. I got to say everything to her, even remember saying I love you and watching her smile as I got to hold her hand for 1 last time, she died 10 mins later.

I'm glad you had him as long as you did and you're a testament what kind of man he was, most people wouldn't do what you did, be proud of yourself, I'm sure your Dad is(of you that is)

Funeral was yesterday and went OK. Locals, Robert Charles (guitar/vocals) and Brandon Rains (mandolin) did "Go Rest High on that Mountain" by Vince Gill in the middle of the service (awesome). Ugh, more tears again.

I just want to extend my sincere appreciation to those on this forum that supported me through this time. As I reflect back on these last four months, this forum was probably the most uplifting-greatest support I received. Also want to thank the admins for letting this thread run because it was about as completely off-topic as one could get.

My goal for next year is getting the wife and I to the regional meets to have some laughs with you dudes and dudetts. Don't hesitate to PM anytime.

Thanks again & ride safe!

git-r-dan

P.S. - Donald, please keep us updated on your Dad's condition.

Dan, I am planing to ride the FJR to Leeds AL Saturday morning to check up on his condition and spirits and return Sunday. Of course will be there for Christmas..........likely to be the most special one I have had so far in life. I'll keep you posted.

My wife saw the Utah pics in the WFO thread a few weeks ago and is excited about going. The problem will be if she's still working claims then. We'll have a decision to make on the reservations but really want to go.

Note: She's still working hurricane's Charley, Francis, Ivan, Jeanne (three years ago this summer) Rita, Katrina, Wilma (last year).

Mom just handed me this picture and had to share it. This was my Dad around 1971. Mom and Dad did some good traveling. They had an accident later that put both of them in the hospital caused by a woman pulling out onto the highway forcing Dad to lay it down. Mom, with a broken ankle and in shock, was walking down the highway picking up motorcycle pieces. The woman's company's insurance paid for a brand new one. They rode on a couple more trips and then it was sold. Very cool pic... MY HERO!

Dan Woods, Jr. (Aug. 1923 - Dec. 7, 2006)

DadonGoldwing0001.jpg

cool piccie!!!!!! good looking pop you had there.

Here is one of my pop, mom, wifee and me on a cruise we took last summer, first family vacation we had taken together in many, many years......................man am I glad I have those memories!!

IMGP0023-1.jpg

650910-R1-49-49_0500001.jpg

Wow, it's been one year today. Mom and I are planning a trip to Corpus Christi to the grave site. We purchased a granite marker that I haven't seen yet. It was 1/2 paid for by the VA. It has Mom's inscription written on the right with her born date. In the center is a vase holder for flowers. Will take epoxy to try and secure that vase down to the marker as the thieves, from what I've heard, will take it and sell for $35. Go figure. Also will do a little edging around my grandma's and grandad's markers, too. Lot's of great memories. I'll always remember Mom, Dad, grandma & grandad having their knock-down drag-out (42) domino games.

About the 1/4 midget...Dad got that one from the McBride's in San Antonio. It was my first modified. Went on to win state and then timed 5th fastest in the nationals at Phoenix borrowing a motor from Mike Kidd's dad after blowing both backups in practice.

Sounds like he's a very cool Dad to have in your heart.

I drive home from a work trip every year to stop at the Appalachian hilltop where my parents are buried. Sit under a big tree and end up crying like a baby.

May today bring memories and peace to you.

Bob

I just got word this Monday from Dad’s doctor that he has a cancerous mass in his pancreas and is not a good candidate for any chemo or operation because of his age (83) and poor health. I am in route for Rockport, Tx (home) to help Mom take care of him at our house with hospice help (3 days a week). He is going downhill in a hurry and will be in a lot of pain. Be praying for our family. His name is also Dan (Jr.).
Deepest sympathies. It's not something anyone looks forward to, but as Dale noted, it's a stepping stone of life. You're doing the right and honorable thing. Good for you.

Rancho