Navy Graduation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own boot camp was down in Orlando. Sad to hear that is no longer in operation. But I spent the first 3 years of my enlistment at Great Lakes. Its a tough place in the winters, but not so bad the rest of the year

I never got to serve but I do remember both of my sons graduations from boot camp.

Very impressive,

Dave

My own boot camp was down in Orlando. Sad to hear that is no longer in operation. But I spent the first 3 years of my enlistment at Great Lakes. Its a tough place in the winters, but not so bad the rest of the year
I went to nuclear power school in Orlando.

How come they're indoors? Pussies....
rolleyes.gif

My boot was Orlando in the summer, then Great Lakes for A School, then back to Orlando for nuke school.

Thanks for the memories, Mets Man!

Orlando was my boot camp -- that base is now a residential subdivision around Lake Baldwin. (Clicky.) Got snow in GLAKES prior to Halloween (ET school), and was glad as I could be to head south again. Returned to Orlando for nuke training, then out to the submarine fleet.

Navy boot camp changed your niece's life, Polarize? Did for me, as I bet it did for 99% of the folks that graduated.

Thanks for the memories, Mets Man!
Orlando was my boot camp -- that base is now a residential subdivision around Lake Baldwin. (Clicky.) Got snow in GLAKES prior to Halloween (ET school), and was glad as I could be to head south again. Returned to Orlando for nuke training, then out to the submarine fleet.

Navy boot camp changed your niece's life, Polarize? Did for me, as I bet it did for 99% of the folks that graduated.
^ Yep!! I was chatting with a couple guys the other day about it. Tell us Hud if true or not, small changes taught in the service last a lifetime. Like folding underwear.... I have no idea why but I freak out and refold everything my wife does b/c it's not the way we learned to do it in boot.

I left GLAKES (MM school) on Thanksgiving day just about the time it started snowing. A week later Chi-town was buried while I was back in Orlando. Then on to upstate NY for another winter. I started my Navy time completely bass-ackwards. DuhHuh.

Tell us also Hud, got anything left over from boot camp that you still have? Believe it o' not, I do! I still use the knee length rain coat.

No, I no longer fold my underwear, you pervert. (Really, dude, that's .... like .... a very personal question, man.)

Got out of boot camp in 1976. Still have and use my sea bag, and can fit into dress blues jackets, although I don't use them. I wore my peacoat (with the silver buttons) often in Boston during the winters of 2014 and 2015. They're quite fashionable now, and as warm as ever. Got a ball cap, boot camp issue, but lost my dixie cup; they came back just before I was discharged in Pearl Harbor.

I went to Orlando sometime in the mid-1990s, and drove Colonial-Brumby-Corrine as I did many times coming back from Rosie O'Grady's back in the day. Was shocked to see the base was closed and buildings empty/destroyed.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Ah yes, Rosie O'Grady's
punk.gif
, many a evening there! I can't tell you the last time I went to Orlando. Honestly I don't think I've been there since I left for prototype in '79.