New seat for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said that he wanted a compromise. ;)
there are compromises that are worth the savings and there are those that will leave you buying something else (spending more) because they were too much of a compromise.

I am still happy with my Sargent after 50k.
there are those who fit within the design parameters of the mfgrs' "average rider" model. there are those who don't. there's the risk of hoping you do and wondering which "average rider" each builder chooses.

Can't get by the looks of the wing seats.
there's a big market out there for the show-and-shine crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't get by the looks of the wing seats.
You can't see it when you are sitting on it, which is kind of the whole point. ;)

Amen brother Don! :clapping:

Tractor Russell seat in Iowa at the beginning of the Kali trip...

2011MAYKALITRIP006.jpg

A few days and thousands of miles later on twisty California HWY 36...

Posted%252520-%252520Wheatie%252520on%252520Highway%25252036.jpg

Can you tell that I am ripping along on a nice comfy Russell tractor seat? Didn't think so.

All I know is that trip wouldn't have been possible on a "compromise" seat. Don't waste your money on something that tries...but doesn't cut it.

I've got no issues with my stock "Spencerized" seat...no problem doing 600+ mile days. I did try a Russell for a weekend this past spring... might be ok for long days on the slab, but I'm not a big fan of the slab.

I've got no issues with my stock "Spencerized" seat...no problem doing 600+ mile days. I did try a Russell for a weekend this past spring... might be ok for long days on the slab, but I'm not a big fan of the slab.

+1 on Spencers! Excellent craftsmanship, custom trimming if need, very fast turn around and good prices. He uses "Supracore" not gel. It actually takes some time to "break in" for the rider...

https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Not a fan of slab riding at all and do very little of it. I also could do 600 mile days on the stock seat with the help of a sheepskin pad at the 400 mile mark. However, I would not be able to count on doing multiple 400 mile days after that. A trip to New England told me that.

Never been limited on a trip by butt soreness after the Russell was purchased.

Glad the Spencer has worked out for you.

600 miles? that's a lunch ride! And we ain't talking slabbing it either. :D

So far i have come up with 3 seat manufacturers Corbin, Sargent and Russell
You might want to also consider Mayer seats. There are two separate companies: Bill Mayer Saddles (www.billmayersaddles.com) and Rick Mayer Cycle (www.rickmayercycle.com).

Someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly...

Bill Mayer developed the Day-Long seat that featured "wings" and a spring suspension. It became the standard for a comfortable LD seat. Bill sold the company which became Russell seats when he realized the same basic suspension benefits could be accomplished with muliple density foam bases. He formed a new company that is run today by his son, Rocky. Rocky's brother Rick is direct competition.
You have it pretty close; actually Russell had a non-compete clause in the sale. When that ran out, Bill (sr) started the new company. Upon his death, his son Rick started making saddles like his dad did (he interned with his dad as a kid.) Rick is an ER nurse and seems to understand anatomy pretty well. I had one of Bill's original saddles on two Beemers (over 70,000 miles on that saddle with no issues) and have had three of Rick's. Knowing what I do of the way the brothers make their saddles, I think Rick's are closer to his dad's. YMMV.

Hi to all

Just been looking in the Parts and Accessories dept and i see a mention of seats being a popular farkle for the FJR. It also just so happens that iv'e been for a 4 hour ride and my arse is a tad sore. What iv'e found out on the forum is that there is a multitude of options for replacement seats and i guess you all think yours is the best right??. Well i'm down here in New Zealand so for starters my options are limited i think you would agree. So far i have come up with 3 seat manufacturers Corbin, Sargent and Russell and i think that all will want my my seat base/bases to supply a new one.Correct me if i'm wrong!. Anyway where do you i should start with this keeping in mind that i don't want to turn the FJR into a cruiser or a Goldwing, Just a improvement on the style of seat i have now if you know what i mean.

Regards

Gazza

Well, it appears you have gotten quite a few opinions on what is the best seat. I do several multi thousand mile trips every year. Some years ago I had a BMW R1200C and the seat was not comfortable on long rides. The dealer suggested trying the AirHawk. I have been using the AirHawk since 2004. It works on most any bike and costs under $200. I typically do 400-500 mile days and once ran 700 no soreness issues.

600 miles? that's a lunch ride! And we ain't talking slabbing it either. :D
Oh well...guess that makes you more of a rider than me...I aint into the whole LD thing, but if you are...than enjoy that ;)

IMO - If you can afford the extra cost, buy a used set of seats (ebay, forum, junk yard, what ever), send the pans to either Bill Mayer, or Russell.

I've owned a few Corbin's on my Duc and Beemer, loved them. Having said that, I'm not pleased with the Corbin Canyon for the Feej, too hard. I sold mine, although I have another (with back rest) that came with my recent Feej purchase, just sitting in my garage. I'll say this about that, it's better than stock; however, I think you'll be far more comfortable in a Mayer or Russell seat for long rides.

Good luck.
FJRBluesman,,

I have a 2009 FJR and I wouldn't mind at all a Corbin with backrest. If yours is for a GenII and you would like to sell it ... let me know ([email protected]). My first priority is a windscrenn replacement though ... a National VStream would be nice if you or someone else has one for sale.

Merry Christmas all!

Rheal

I havent seen this mentioned yet, but before I do I'll make this caveat: seats are subjective. The overall consensus seems to be Russel makes the most comfortable and Corbins are severe love/hate. The rest fall somewhere in the middle. Thing is, and now to my point, not everyone can USE a Russell. Why? It will add 1-1.5" to your seat height. Shorties like me couldnt ride with it on. Corbins, OTOH, will drop you about 3/4". As was breifly mentioned, Corbins are great, IF your ass fits it correctly. Luckily, mine does. I love mine.

Only reason I mention it is you didnt mention how tall you are, so thought I'd bring it up.

What happens when it rains?...
Gasp!!!! You mean you ride in the rain? Next thing I suppose you will be saying is that you ride on dirt roads and would get the cover dirty too. Even if someone were to live and ride in a nearly zero rain state like AZ the black color would be user unfriendly in the summer.

There are some here on this Forum that will think that it is pointless to ride a sheepskin unless the sheep is still in it.