No-Mar Tire Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is just a tire stand, intended for use on dirt bikes. There is no center bar or rod to lever the Mojo against, so you have to use tire irons with it. If you wanted to use irons I guess it would work OK.

Might be interesting trying to break a tubeless tire bead up on that little bead breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just a tire stand, intended for use on dirt bikes. There is no center bar or rod to lever the Mojo against, so you have to use tire irons with it. If you wanted to use irons I guess it would work OK.
Might be interesting trying to break a tubeless tire bead up on that little bead breaker.
I'll probably get the Harbor Freight and a Mojobar bar.

I know there are mixed reviews about the HF, but there are enough people that make it work to think it will be okay with practise.

I know there are mixed reviews about the HF, but there are enough people that make it work to think it will be okay with practise.
I have the HF changer. It works great with the Mojolever. The key is to have the changer securely anchored.

I have the HF changer. It works great with the Mojolever. The key is to have the changer securely anchored.
I also have the HF changer (and probably one of the first on this Forum to use it with a Mojo lever) and cut up a old garden hose and used contact cement to glue the rubber strips to the HF rim holders. I also covered the bead breaker bottom piece with a section of old tire and glued plastic to the upper bead breaker piece. The end result is that there is not any metal or metal contact anywhere in the tire changing process.

I also have the HF changer (and probably one of the first on this Forum to use it with a Mojo lever) and cut up a old garden hose and used contact cement to glue the rubber strips to the HF rim holders. I also covered the bead breaker bottom piece with a section of old tire and glued plastic to the upper bead breaker piece. The end result is that is not any metal or metal contact anywhere in the tire changing process.
I bought the pads from the maker of the MOJO Lever for the HF changer. They work very well. They are MOJOBlocks https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

Getting a little off track. I use a couple of these (in addition to the handy clamps) to keep the opposite side in the center of the rim. Works like a charm, I've tried the zip tie as well, but these just seemed to be easier.

clamps-1.jpg

I also have the HF changer (and probably one of the first on this Forum to use it with a Mojo lever) and cut up a old garden hose and used contact cement to glue the rubber strips to the HF rim holders. I also covered the bead breaker bottom piece with a section of old tire and glued plastic to the upper bead breaker piece. The end result is that is not any metal or metal contact anywhere in the tire changing process.
I bought the pads from the maker of the MOJO Lever for the HF changer. They work very well. They are MOJOBlocks https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm
I've seen the pads (which came out a couple of years before I got the Mojolever) in action and I don't think they hold the rim in place as well as my rubber strips and the tire usually ends up being off center.....but the pads definitely are a big improvement to the base HF changer.

I have those clamps ... and I have a shopping list:

1 x HF Manual Tire Changer

1 x HF Motorcycle Adaptor

1 x Mojobar + Rim Clamp Adaptors

1 x Wheel Balancer (Group Buy, PM sent)

That was less painful than a Coats 220 :D

I've seen the pads (which came out a couple of years before I got the Mojolever) in action and I don't think they hold the rim in place as well as my rubber strips and the tire usually ends up being off center.....but the pads definitely are a big improvement to the base HF changer.
This has turned out to be a very informative thread. Can you post a picture f the rubber strips you use on the HF changer?

Big zip ties and Ru Glyde. You can get Ru Glyde at your local Pep Boys or Napa -- helps a lot. The big zip ties -- I believe I used 20" ones recently -- keep both beads together so that it's easier to tuck one side into the wheel center well, then work the remainder around the wheel. Don't use too many, since they add interference fit:

This technique is a life saver as wheel as a well saver.
not_i.gif

I used 1/2 nylon strapping to tie the beads together. You don't what you're missing until to can mount a new tire without tools.

Fixing to mount some new BT30's, I'll take a pic when I get to 'em.

(I do use a No-Mar to remove the tires)

I did the math on my setup recently. I have a no-name version of the HF machine that I bought during the period where HF wasn't selling them, the Mojo Blocks, the Mojo lever, and a HF tire balancer (that needs new bearings). By the time I had the machine mounted to the floor and all the little bits and pieces and ointments put together, I figure saving the three hours and $30 it would have cost me to carry a wheel into Cycle Gear only took about $250 and two weeks (on and off)...

I did the math on my setup recently. I have a no-name version of the HF machine that I bought during the period where HF wasn't selling them, the Mojo Blocks, the Mojo lever, and a HF tire balancer (that needs new bearings). By the time I had the machine mounted to the floor and all the little bits and pieces and ointments put together, I figure saving the three hours and $30 it would have cost me to carry a wheel into Cycle Gear only took about $250 and two weeks (on and off)...
I spent about $300 on my setup.....150 tires later it seems like a good investment especially when I previously had to run all over town to get tires mounted and usually had to make at least 2 trips each mount.

I probably have over $500 invested in my NoMar, balancer and assorted accessories. I'm guessing I've changed well over 100 tires, and about 40% of them were my tires. I have easily recovered the investment I made. Also, if you are lonely, unpopular and avoided by others, then buy a tire changer. You'll have friends old and new knocking on your door.

I probably have over $500 invested in my NoMar, balancer and assorted accessories. I'm guessing I've changed well over 100 tires, and about 40% of them were my tires. I have easily recovered the investment I made. Also, if you are lonely, unpopular and avoided by others, then buy a tire changer. You'll have friends old and new knocking on your door.
Damn, I never realized how lonely, unpopular, and avoided by others I probably was before I got a tire changer.

Trying not to get too far off topic. Especially since the OP's question has essentially been answered.

In response to the time and money spent on a tire changer vs. going sown to Cycle Gear, here is my two cents.

I can now change the tire at my convenience.

I can now save the old tire and if necessary remount it. ( This is handy when planning a 3,000 mile trip when you only have 2,900 miles left on your present tire.

I can rest in the knowledge that it is done right.

I can buy tires when they are on sale and from whom they are on sale.

And most importantly, pulling in to the garage and seeing my tire changer sitting there gives me a wierd sort of testosterone surge.

JSNS