Personal Tire Mileage Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just PM'd to Iggy:

My data on the tires:
Z4 F/8,000; R/8,000 PSI 40/42

Azaro F/7,000; R/7,000 PSI 40/42

Z6 F/2,000; R/2,000 PSI 40/42

Z6 F/2,000; R/2000 PSI 40/42

*Yes, those are correct #'s for the Z6. 1st set got trashed for flats, 2nd for trying to kill me.

PR F/5,500; R/5,500 PSI 40/42

PR F/8,100; R/8,100 PSI 40/42

PR F/8,900; R/8,900 PSI 40/42

Storm F/12,500; R/5,500 PSI 41/44

Storm F/0; R/7,000 PSI -/42

Total bike and F/R tire mileage: 54,000

Interesting note on the last Storm rear... I thought it had about 6K, not 7. Interesting also that I lowered the pressure by 2 lb. Doubt that makes all the extra mileage, though. Also interesting to note is that the Storm front is the first tire I've been comfortable running through 2 rears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z4 F/8,000; R/8,000 PSI 40/42Azaro F/7,000; R/7,000 PSI 40/42

Z6 F/2,000; R/2,000 PSI 40/42

Z6 F/2,000; R/2000 PSI 40/42

*Yes, those are correct #'s for the Z6. 1st set got trashed for flats, 2nd for trying to kill me.

PR F/5,500; R/5,500 PSI 40/42

PR F/8,100; R/8,100 PSI 40/42

PR F/8,900; R/8,900 PSI 40/42

Storm F/12,500; R/5,500 PSI 41/44

Storm F/0; R/7,000 PSI -/42
Most of your front and rear mileages are the same. I assume you're swapping before the tread is gone on the front. If true, I'm omitting from the spreadsheet as we need to include actual mileage. As well as the Z6's. I'm trying to establish actual mileage and not include tires abandoned. They'll get asterisks.

Here's an update:

tire3.JPG

Oooh spread sheets, I LOVE spread sheets.

Seriously though, if Iggy keeps it updated as data comes in, that could be a GREAT resource for info. Who knows, it might help tame the Tire Thread Beast.

Most of your front and rear mileages are the same. I assume you're swapping before the tread is gone on the front. If true, I'm omitting from the spreadsheet as we need to include actual mileage. As well as the Z6's. I'm trying to establish actual mileage and not include tires abandoned. They'll get asterisks.
Also interesting to note is that the Storm front is the first tire I've been comfortable running through 2 rears.
Well, yeah, all of the fronts were changed along with the rears except for the Storm, but it is partly subjective as to when you or I would consider a tire gone. In all cases where the front was swapped along with the rear, I felt that the wear on the tire was compromising handling and safety to a point great enough that I considered them toast. Would someone else have run them longer? Maybe, but IMO, that person would have been foolish to do so given the minor amount of tread left to absolute zero. Concur on the Z6 nix, though.

Well, yeah, all of the fronts were changed along with the rears except for the Storm, but it is partly subjective as to when you or I would consider a tire gone. I all cases where the front was swapped along with the rear, I felt that the wear on the tire was compromising handling and safety to a point great enough that I considered them toast. Would someone else have run them longer? Maybe, but IMO, that person would have been foolish to do so given the minor amount of tread left to absolute zero. Concur on the Z6 nix, though.
I think I am interested in that last bit of miles....certainly if it's say 500 miles or greater. If there was...say...over 3/32" of tread and you'd have gotten 8,600 out of a front and 8,100 on a rear I want to try and make that distinction in this spreadsheet.

I absolutely understand the convenience of pairing changes with rear tires.

Just trying to reduce subjectivity or at least chuck the extreme ends.

...now it's off to explore statistical functions in Excel. ;)

Well, yeah, all of the fronts were changed along with the rears except for the Storm, but it is partly subjective as to when you or I would consider a tire gone. I all cases where the front was swapped along with the rear, I felt that the wear on the tire was compromising handling and safety to a point great enough that I considered them toast. Would someone else have run them longer? Maybe, but IMO, that person would have been foolish to do so given the minor amount of tread left to absolute zero. Concur on the Z6 nix, though.
I think I am interested in that last bit of miles....certainly if it's say 500 miles or greater. If there was...say...over 3/32" of tread and you'd have gotten 8,600 out of a front and 8,100 on a rear I want to try and make that distinction in this spreadsheet.

I absolutely understand the convenience of pairing changes with rear tires.

Just trying to reduce subjectivity or at least chuck the extreme ends.

...now it's off to explore statistical functions in Excel. ;)
You mean that someone would change the rear without changing the front?.........not me. A tire change involves both tires as far as I'm concerned!

Jim

You mean that someone would change the rear without changing the front?.........not me. A tire change involves both tires as far as I'm concerned!
That's fine, but that's the subject for another thread....very likely of the most NEPRT variety. This one is about mileage of individual tires.

Igg, just define for whether or not a tire is trashed as follows: As soon as any wear bar is reached, or in the case of wear bar-less brands, when Mr. Lincoln's hair gets trimmed the tire is done. Voila! Subjectivity eliminated.

Igg, just define for whether or not a tire is trashed as follows: As soon as any wear bar is reached, or in the case of wear bar-less brands, when Mr. Lincoln's hair gets trimmed the tire is done. Voila! Subjectivity eliminated.
WTF?!?!

I get several thousand miles out of a tire after the wear bars are reached.

I suppose you change your underwear after wearing them only once, too.

WTF?!?!
I get several thousand miles out of a tire after the wear bars are reached.

I suppose you change your underwear after wearing them only once, too.

Lookit, Dopey, I'm trying to give Iggy some help on defining when a tire is toast to eliminate subjectivity. The fact that you are light in your loafers and can get a bazillion miles out of a tire after a normal human would toss it, is not the point of his efforts.

As for the undies; yes, indeed I do. Given that you posed such a question explains that strange smell whenever you get near... ;)

:lol:

SkooterG, I know this will be surprising, but please be aware that some of us change tires BEFORE we can see the air leaking between cords. Strange to some, but very true. As for underwear, too much information!!!!

Iggy, unfortunately, I've killed off my last couple of rears with nails and such. Comes from commuting to a place where I need to park with the rear wheel at a curb. However, my current Pilot Roads ought to come very very close to your numbers if I don't pick up another nail/screw/etc.

I think this is a GREAT resource and thanks for spreadsheeting it! Other than the visual of SkooterG's underwear, of course. :huh:

Bob

So everyone is getting more miles out of their front tire than the rear? I know I drive like a grandmother but how is it that I burn up my fronts so quickly (I did on my VFR as well)? Seriously, I always use both brakes - in fact the few times I've gone back to the ERC they noted that I occasionally lock up the rear.

Am I not exercising my right wrist enough? (let the flames begin...)

The spread sheet should also include regular measurements at certain miles. i.e. Every thousand miles take a measurement of how much is left. This would give info on where the tire wears the most/fastest mileage wise. So, when you are getting close to the lifespan of the tyre, you know about how many miles you got left before you should swap over to new rubber.

Otherwise, me thinks this thread lies in the correct category and it's useless with out captin amerika's input. :rolleyes:

05 rear tire 9,950 and I could have gotten more miles but I was at the dealer and it was close enough. The front was still on when I sold the bike with 10500 miles.

Met Z6

So everyone is getting more miles out of their front tire than the rear? I know I drive like a grandmother but how is it that I burn up my fronts so quickly (I did on my VFR as well)? Seriously, I always use both brakes - in fact the few times I've gone back to the ERC they noted that I occasionally lock up the rear.
I'm in the same club. Just replaced the front Z6 on my 2006 yesterday. Mileage was 7005. The depth of the center tread groove was < 0.5mm, way less. Rear Z6 is going strong. Too many commuter miles; not enough opportunity to exercise the throttle!