Personal Tire Mileage Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you gonna try the PR2's next?
Or has anyone run the treads off of a pair of these skins yet?

Wondering how durable they are gonna be.
JWilly is currently running a front PR2. I don't have plans for them anytime soon. My personal experience with the original PR was "good", just not "stellar". I'll have to take a back seat to others who typically place more importance on mileage/tread life than grip, to provide some immediate feedback on the PR2.

So many tires, so little time money!!!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 05. Original BT020's lasted 5,500 miles (to tread wear indicator on rear). Replaced both front & rear with BT020's -- exact same mileage, 5,500. Replaced both front & rear with BT021's last week. I could have kept the 020's another 1,000 miles, but I don't mess with Mother Nature.

Thanks for the spreadsheet -- very useful info.

Ash,

Are you or anybody you know going to be trying (or trying now) a set of Continentals? I have heard that that there is a compound out for the FJR now, but not sure. I have not heard from anyone riding a FJR but several people who ride a FZ1 who just love them. I must say, I rode one of my buddy's FZ1 ('04) with them and was pretty impressed. None of these guys really put on many miles so wear is still the question.

Are you or anybody you know going to be trying (or trying now) a set of Continentals?
Not me, at least not soon. After the Shinkos are done, I'm planning on a semi-retirement from tire testing for a while.

Oh, say it ain't so!

Conti's, Pilot Road II's; there are so many more just waiting for the Ashe Thrash.

Any updates on the spreadsheet? Id like my next tires to last as long as possible...I'm sick of spending a fortune on these things. :pig_ball:

More Data:

Rode with Fairlaner on Friday, 400 miles ... "kinda fast" ....

His Diablo Strada's rear has over 5,000 miles on it, looks like it has another 2,000 in it !

My first set of tires ... 2,000 miles on the rear pilot road and it is basically shagged ... :( ... I might get 500 more out of it till the tread is below legal limits.

I ride at somewhat "fast" speeds sometimes

36 Front, 39 Rear ... Solo.

... think I'll be switching to the Stradas after I shag another Pilot Rear ... :eek:

Anybody else got a little more tire data for "ahem" ... continuously "spirited" riding speeds ?

Could you possibly give an update on both your thoughts and mileage of the Shinko's?
St. Louis Rider
The Shinko rear touched one wear bar at 3,200 miles. The other wear bars were at least 2.0mm from contact, but one was touching. I believe the tire was molded that badly out of round. The excessive weight required for balancing would reinforce that assumption.

So the rear Shinko Raven gets 3,200 miles due to perceived imperfections, and a 7.0 on the 1-10 scale of happiness.

The front Shinko still looked like brand freakin new. However, just like it's wider ass-end brother, can barely pull off a 7.0 happiness factor.

The Shinkos are shear entertainment in the cold rain. You are guaranteed to hear Paul Simon singing "Slip slidin' away", as you get to practice your clutch feathering and butt puckering skills. It's just a decent tire at a fantastic price, nothing more IMHO.

Anybody else got a little more tire data for "ahem" ... continuously "spirited" riding speeds ?
Diablo Strada rear and Diablo Corsa-III front. Just ran them through blinding snow, at night, at 30F temps in the NC mountains. Damn glad I had ditched the Stinkos and mounted what still remains to be... My absolute favorite rubbers to wear!

When the sex is THAT good, who cares how long they last.

Anybody tried these instead of the 009?

Shinko 006 Podium Radial Tires - Rear

# Designed for the characteristics of high performance of tire either on wet surface or on dry surface

# Streamline typed tread pattern improves the drainage and reduces the rotation resistance resulting in the tire at the a high speed

# Smooth profile of shoulder part was designed for securing superior grip and exceptional stability at all lean angels of high speed

# V-Rated: for speeds up to 149 m.p.h.

# Z-Rated: for speeds above 149 m.p.h.

https://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6701/pid/9348

https://www.compacc.com/pdfs/9348.pdf

Or these even?

Shinko 005 Advance Radial Tires - Z-Rated - Rear

https://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6701/pid/9344

Last year I bought the For Two Wheels Only database software for tracking my bike records. I've been fairly active in logging maintenance, tires etc. It's interesting to see the cost/mile comparison between various tires.

Anyway, I just finished the first set of Pirellis that I've run in a while. Man, how I missed them!

I ran this set down to barely contacting the wear bars. The chewy center of the rear Strada was showing in one very short section, so there was probably a max. of 200 miles left. Here's the stats:

Pirelli Diablo Strada 180/55/17 Rear

3,514 miles, $0.041 /mile

Pirellie Corsa-III 120/70/17 Front

3,514 miles, $0.036 /mile

Air Pressures: 39 Front, 42 Rear

It's interesting and somewhat expected that this is the best mileage I've ever obtained from a Strada. I ran higher pressure than typical. I typically run 38-40, but wanted to try the Yamaha spec pressures. It definitely extended mileage but there was a noticeable difference in grip between the front and rear in colder temps of below 45F.

Overall, this was the BEST handling tire combination I have ever run on a FJR.

Jeff,

This is some interesting information. I have to concur with you. I had the CorsaIII on my front and really liked the tire. I believe I got around 7k miles out of it before putting on the full set of PR2's.

I have not yet tried the Strada's, but these PR2's give me no reason to stray...now for the mileage results when they come to the end of the road... it could be awhile.

FWIW, I have some personal tire wear info that may be helpful. In the past three years I have gone on tours ranging from 4400 miles to nearly 5800 miles. I mounted a new set of tires before each trip. Here are my findings:

2006 - Avon Azaros, trip from Chicago to Colorado Rockies. 4400 total miles, approx. 50% highway, 50% two lane twisties. Tires had a bit of life left but handling had dropped off noticeably.

2007 - Avon Storms, same basic trip as above. Rear tire was worn past wear bars and front was cupped to the point of vibrating. Handling was seriously affected.

2008 - Dunlop Roadsmarts, trip from Chicago to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Almost 5800 total miles, approx. 60% highway, 40% two lane twisties. More high speed (80+ mph) riding than Colorado trips. Rear tire not quite at wear bars, front looks pretty good with no noticeable cupping. Handling fell off a bit around 4500 miles but not nearly to the degree as the Avons, especially the Storms. Tires seemed at least as sticky as the Avons. Handling was very neutral. Seemed to be more linear than the Avons. The Avons seemed to turn in quicker than the Dunlops. Rear seems to be a bit less rounded than the Avons. I usually had just a tiny chicken strip on the Avons despite occasionally scraping the pegs. The Roadsmarts had no chicken strips under similar riding.

All riding was done 2-up fully loaded. I weigh about 225 and my wife is about 120. Tire pressures were 42 psi rear, 40 psi front.

I hope this helps....................

Joe

Reporting on my Dunlop roadsmarts on my 06 AE. Got 10K plus or minus a few on them in 4 months including mostly slab riding to and from NAFO and some brisk riding during the Spank 2 rally. Tire had to be replaced at IBR National Meet in Tulsa before return to so Cal.

I found them to be the best overall rubber I have had on either my 05 FJR or 06 AE.

Wish I could have put them on at Tulsa but not available and had to put on Metzler Z6s due to dealer availability.

Reporting on my Dunlop roadsmarts on my 06 AE. Got 10K plus or minus a few on them in 4 months including mostly slab riding to and from NAFO and some brisk riding during the Spank 2 rally.
Thats good to hear. I've got a set of Roadsmarts mounted and like the handling...so far with about 3,000 miles. If I can 10K out of em I'd be very happy. Wondering if you've ever run the ME880 and what kind of mileage you got out of that tire for comparison? That's the only tire I've managed to get over 10K out of so far.

DunlopD220

Rear - 2,600; Front - not tested

I have the 220's on my '03.

Currently at 6000 miles (9000 km) for both. The rear shows 50% wear, and the front looks new. I love corners, speed, and the odd wheelie. Perhaps it's because it never really gets hot enough up here in the land of "Tim Hortons" (if that adds to the wear of a tire, which I think it can) , but I am quite happy with them so far.