Pilot Road-2's have arrived!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10K...7K...6K.... man how do you get so many miles out of a tire? i havent found a tire yet that I get more than 4500 out of.
haven't gotten that far with the FJR yet. but when I had FZ1 and rode it aggressively with a track day in between I was able to get 6-7k on the Pilot Powers rear no problem. Considering that I do not ride as aggressivly as I did on the FZ I should be able to do that easily.

Regarding pressure,

I suspect the correct pressure(higher) is a direct result in the tires lasting longer. I noticed this with my 07 regarding the oem Z6's. When I was runnin around 36 psi in the rear, I would burn up the sides all the way to the edges before I touched down the pegs and was getting a flat spot in the middle pretty quickly. Since I raised the pressure to 42... Even with the pegs grinding like crazy, I still have about a 1/8 to 1/4 of chicken strip left and the tire wear has drastically slowed. I have over 6k on them now and I bet I will get at least 8k out of them. It should be noted that my suspension settings did not change. I run it pretty tight(Sport riders suspension recomendations). I am still a bit torn between which tires will be my replacements...the Pilot Rd 2's or the 021's.

Time will tell BUT I look forward to more rider reviews on these tires.

Thanks!

WW

I'll grouse a little about the price (I used to be able to swap out a set of tires for under $200, now its up to $300), but I've loved my PR's and I've heard nothing but great reports about these PR2's, so I'm going to bite the bullet and give them a whirl. Hopefully on day 5 of a tour when everybody else is talking about dashing into Bumcluck Montana to pay $500 for to have their rims scratched up mounting Spitfires that have been on the shelf since the Nixon adminstration, I'll be living large.

- Mark

10K...7K...6K.... man how do you get so many miles out of a tire? i havent found a tire yet that I get more than 4500 out of.
- Road surface

- Road surface temperature

- Type of road (straights vs. twisties)

- Type of tire (hard vs. spor-touring vs. soft compounds)

- Tire pressure

- Suspension settings

- Bike load (solo vs. 2up touring)

- Speed (commuting vs. 100 mph cruising through NV)

- Riding style (smooth vs. ham fisted)

- Weather (dry vs. wet)

- Etc.

I can get upwards of 10K out of a sport-touring compound rear up here in the PNW with mostly commuting miles. Someone who bumps the redline at every shift on a sport compount in AZ and who cruises at 100 mph with a load...won't.

Point being, it's silly to say "Gosh, I only get 4K out of my tires." when there is a laundry list of conditions that dictate tire wear.

I am about due for new ties. The PR2s look promising, or another set of Avons...they've worked well by me.

@hcycle
how strong are you cursin' the Michelin Man? Inquiring Minds Wonder?

:rolleyes:
I am trying to find something wrong with these tires but I think that will be a long time down the road. I love the way they feel but don't have the experience to explain better. I do have a big sweeping on ramp I take on my route home that I can now take more comfortably. By that I mean I can lean farther over and go faster. I can change angles easily and turn in tighter with confidence. These tires have little raised letters in the chicken strip area and I have touched them on the right when cornering and did not scrape the pegs. Could be these tires are wider or just the fact they are new and thicker so I can lean with out touching. I increased the tire pressure today to 39 in the front, was 36, and to 40 from 38 in the rear. I just might kiss the michelin mans mom for having him at this point.
Thought I would add that I put over 7000 miles on the Bridgestone BT020s that were on the bike when I bought it. I don't know how many miles they had on them when I bought the bike used. It was a dealer demo bike ridden mostly by the salesman or owner of Napa Yamaha. I am the first registered owner but it had 8000 miles on it when I got it. About a thousand miles before I replaced them the front was cupped and noisy when you turned and the rear was bald in the middle. I've got nothing bad to say about the old tires, it was just time to get new ones.

My Bike came with the Z4's. I was actually pretty happy with them. But I got to looking around on these internets and saw a bunch of delamination type failures and got scared off.

I stumbled upon a good deal on PR's in Denver where I was living (place is OOB now) and have never looked back. I moved from Denver to Little Rock in June of 05 and had to ride my bike to my brothers garage while I closed on my place in LR.

It started raining on me by the Denver Airport exit. By the time I stopped in Goodland, KS I was marinated. It started to get dark, raining to no end. I turned south at Salinas and then it stopped raining about Hesston. Over 400 miles of solid, toad strangling rain and those PR's held like glue.

I'm no brand Nazi, but I've been endeared to the PR's ever since.

I had the PR2's installed yesterday, and for around town they work great. I'd forgotten how light and nimble the bike could be and they seemed to be much smoother on all road sufaces.

But when I went to work today, mostly slab riding, I had a distinct vibration from the front wheel that was very noticable with speeds above 90 to 110mph (closed course and professional driver, :fuck: of course).

My front wheel came back from my dealer with a bunch of wheel weights a 180 out from the valve stem, the rear wheel had no weights installed at all.

How did everyone elses end up balancing? It appears as all the vibration is coming from the front wheel.

I'm thinking of taking some of the weights off of the front just to see if that is the source of the problem, either way it looks like I'll have to take the wheel off to have it redone.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: Just thought I'd ask if anyone with the PR2's could give us long term updates as to wear, grip and mileage on the tires...most of the posts were put up soon after they had mounted a new pair on.

:blink: Just thought I'd ask if anyone with the PR2's could give us long term updates as to wear, grip and mileage on the tires...most of the posts were put up soon after they had mounted a new pair on.
Yeah...what he said! <_<

Yeah...what he said! <_<

I will measure the tread depth tomorrow. I have about 2500 miles on them now and I think the last time I checked the rear was 7/32" . I can't remember what they were new. Anyone know what they measure new?

Mike W

Yeah...what he said! <_<

I will measure the tread depth tomorrow. I have about 2500 miles on them now and I think the last time I checked the rear was 7/32" . I can't remember what they were new. Anyone know what they measure new?

Mike W
Today the rear measures just a hair under 7/32" measured on both sides of the wear bars. I can't see any flat spot in the middle from all the Highway miles. I have been riding to work and back mostly on the slab and some night time rides. The last spirited ride was chasing JB at near triple digit speeds.LINKY