San Diego Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe we are meeting at Rancho San Diego Village that is on Avocado and near highway 94 at the Starbucks with breakfast next door @ 8:45am. I also plan on attending this ride and hopefully BBQ if my rear tire and arse make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - there is a Bar-B-Q, Dyno check etc. this Saturday at National City Motorcycle for anyone who wants to check this out. The dyno checks are $50 from what I am hearing and a power commander file for your indiviual ride for $265.

FYI - there is a Bar-B-Q, Dyno check etc. this Saturday at National City Motorcycle for anyone who wants to check this out. The dyno checks are $50 from what I am hearing and a power commander file for your indiviual ride for $265.
johnny80s mi amigo: Don't be suckered into cometman's con, we can buy hell of a lot of burritos for $315! Ride to Eat, ese!

johnny80s mi amigo: Don't be suckered into cometman's con, we can buy hell of a lot of burritos for $315! Ride to Eat, ese!
Are you coming to my house after the ride for the BBQ. So far only Cometman has said he will be here. As a Los Robustos member I think all BBQ functions are mandatory as I recall from the by laws.

Are you coming to my house after the ride for the BBQ. So far only Cometman has said he will be here. As a Los Robustos member I think all BBQ functions are mandatory as I recall from the by laws.
I'm personally hurt, saddened and humiliated you'd ask a fellow Los Robustos M/C if I'll be there! Food is there, I'm there!!!

I'm personally hurt, saddened and humiliated you'd ask a fellow Los Robustos M/C if I'll be there! Food is there, I'm there!!!
Well that is 2 of us for the BBQ.

That is what I figured but the wife needed numbers. I am going to try BigDolma's kebab recipe. If I screw it up we can always get pizza or go to Rosa's.

Latest forecast for Ocotillo on Saturday:

Saturday: Generally sunny. Heat index near 115F. High 106F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

I'm a wimp and will be going to the beach with a redhead instead. Be careful and stay hydrated.

Alright guys... I'm in a quandary...

I'm still very eager to join the group but (like others before me) don't have much interest in riding in 110+/- either. So rather than simply bailing (and just to be a d%#K), I've got a proposition... (maybe even a hijacking d%#k)...

How about, same meeting place... go east on 94 before the heat of the day... BUT THEN... south, cross the border in Tecate, head South West to the coast to Ensenada, maybe go to La Bufadora (the blow hole) ... snack in Ensenada, lobster lunch at La Fonda along the coast. Safety in numbers.

Just sayin...

Alright guys... I'm in a quandary...I'm still very eager to join the group but (like others before me) don't have much interest in riding in 110+/- either. So rather than simply bailing (and just to be a d%#K), I've got a proposition... (maybe even a hijacking d%#k)...

How about, same meeting place... go east on 94 before the heat of the day... BUT THEN... south, cross the border in Tecate, head South West to the coast to Ensenada, maybe go to La Bufadora (the blow hole) ... snack in Ensenada, lobster lunch at La Fonda along the coast. Safety in numbers.

Just sayin...
Malve, is this plan under consideration? If so, I need to get to the Chandler Branch of the Bank of America and get my US passport from my safety deposit box. You will not be getting back into Estados Unidos without a valid and current passport!!

Also, I'll need to immediately scramble to contact https://www.mexpro.com to get an insurance policy emailed and printed out!

Alright guys... I'm in a quandary...I'm still very eager to join the group but (like others before me) don't have much interest in riding in 110+/- either. So rather than simply bailing (and just to be a d%#K), I've got a proposition... (maybe even a hijacking d%#k)...

Just sayin...
Malve, is this plan under consideration? If so, I need to get to the Chandler Branch of the Bank of America and get my US passport from my safety deposit box. You will not be getting back into Estados Unidos without a valid and current passport!!

Also, I'll need to immediately scramble to contact https://www.mexpro.com to get an insurance policy emailed and printed out!
What to know before you go to Mexico

Entering:

Returning:

Insurance for US Travel from Mexico

International Travel Medical Insurance

Repatriation Insurance

Mexico Road Logs

US Related Products:

Manufactured Home Insurance

RV Insurance

Boat Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance

Identity Theft Insurance

International Products:

International Travel Medical Insurance

Identity Theft Insurance

Insurance for US Travel from Mexico

Repatriation Insurance

Mexico Evacuation Insurance

Before you go to Mexico

What should you know before driving to Mexico?

Nearly 16 millions Americans visit Mexico every year and a large portion of them enter via the Mexico border by car, truck, RV and motorcycle.

Correct Identification:

For the latest Mexico entry requirements: Contact the Embassy of Mexico website or call the Embassy at (202) 736-1000 or any Mexican consulate in the US.

Land travelers must have a valid US passport or a US citizenship document accompanied by acceptable photo identification, such as a state or military issued ID. A passport or passport card is the best method of providing this information.

Beginning on June 1, 2009 all persons entering into Mexico by land (vehicle) must have a US Passport or a smaller/less expensive US Passport card. Click here to obtain a US Passport card now.

Pets must have a health certificate to be able to pass into Mexico. Click here to see where to get a health certificate.

Special requirements regarding bringing children (under the age of 18) into Mexico.

Mexican law requires any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 to carry notarized written permission from a parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This includes children traveling with only one parent. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The US State Department recommends the permission include travel dates, destinations and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or closest Mexican Consulate for current information.

A similar letter allowing the person bringing the child into Mexico to make medical decisions for the child in the event of a medical emergency is also a good idea.

Mexico’s 911:

In the event of an emergency, call the Mexican Ministry of Tourism 24-hour hotline at: [91] 5250-0123. They also have two toll free numbers; in Mexico call [91] 800-90-392, in the US call 1- 800-903-9200.

Mexico Vehicle Insurance:

Mexico liability insurance is most likely the second most important thing you will need for your trip. US automobile liability, and most collision and comprehensive, insurance coverage is not valid in Mexico. The US State Department strongly recommends you purchase a full coverage insurance policy that will cover the cost of bail. Please be aware that if you are involved in an automobile accident, you will be taken into police custody until it is determined who is at fault and whether you have the ability to pay any penalty. Click here to purchase Mexico Insurance Now.

American citizens planning on driving to Mexico should carry a valid driver’s license at all times. US driver’s licenses are valid in Mexico. Mexican law requires that vehicles be driven only by their owners, or that the owner be inside the vehicle. If not, the car may be seized by Mexican customs and will not be returned under any circumstances.

Mexico Visa or Tourist Permit:

A Mexico Visitor’s Permit, called an FM-T, is needed if you plan to visit Mexico for longer than 72 hours or visit outside the “free zone” (defined as the an area between 20 and 30 kilometers from the border with the US). The FM-T is only available to holders of US and Canadian passports, in place of a visa. It is available at Mexican consulates, Mexican border crossing points, and Mexican tourism offices.

You will need a Passport or Passport ID card for each individual traveling into the interior of Mexico in order to obtain an FM-T. There is a fee associated with obtaining the FM-T.

Vehicle requirements beyond the “Free Zone”: Vehicle Importation Permit

Those traveling outside the Free or border Zone (defined as the an area between 20 and 30 kilometers from the border with the US) with their vehicle must obtain a temporary import permit or risk having their vehicle confiscated by Mexican customs officials. At present, the only exceptions to the requirement are travel in the Baja Peninsula, and in the state of Sonora only for vehicles entering through the Nogales port of entry.

You need the following to obtain a Vehicle Importation Permit.

Evidence of citizenship

The Vehicle Title and registration certificate

A Valid Driver's License with photo

If the vehicle is financed, is a rental car, is leased, and/or a company car, a notarized letter of permission is required from the lien holder or lending institution.

To pay a processing fee to either a Banjercito (Mexican Army Bank) branch located at a Mexican Customs office at the port of entry, or at one of the Mexican Consulates located in the US.

Mexican law also requires the posting of a bond at a Banjercito office to guarantee the export of the car from Mexico within a time period determined at the time of the application. For this purpose, American Express, Visa or MasterCard credit card holders will be asked to provide credit card information; others will need to make a cash deposit of between $200 and $400, depending on the make/model/year of the vehicle. In order to recover this bond or avoid credit card charges, travelers must go to any Mexican Customs office immediately prior to departing Mexico. Despite any advice, official or unofficial, to the contrary, vehicle permits cannot be obtained at checkpoints in the interior of Mexico.

Travelers should avoid individuals outside vehicle permit offices offering to obtain the permits without waiting in line, even if they appear to be government officials. There have been reports of fraudulent or counterfeit permits being issued adjacent to the vehicle import permit office in Nuevo Laredo and other border areas. If the proper permit is not obtained before entering Mexico and cannot be obtained at the Banjercito branch at the port of entry, do not proceed to the interior. Travelers without the proper permit may be incarcerated, fined and/or have their vehicle seized at immigration/customs checkpoints. For further information, contact Mexican Customs about appropriate vehicle permits.

Learn about your destination:

Research your destination and check the US Department of State’s Background Notes to learn more.

For Longer trips register with the US Embassy or Consulate:

Registration with the US Embassy or Consulate makes your presence and whereabouts known, in case it is necessary for a consular officer to contact you in an emergency or disaster. American consular officers can assist in evacuation, if it becomes necessary. Register with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website.

The US Embassy is located in Mexico City at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtemoc, telephone from the United States: 011-52-55-5080-2000; telephone within Mexico City: 5080-2000; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-55-5080-2000. You may also contact the Embassy by e-mail at: [email protected]. The Embassy's Internet address is https://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/.

Give your Passport ID Numbers and Itinerary to Someone at Home:

Leave your detailed itinerary and the id numbers on yours your family members’ passports with a friend or relative in the US in case of an emergency.

Obtain the Consular Information Sheet for Mexico:

Click here to access the Consular Information Sheet for Mexico.

Check for any Department of State Travel Warnings.

Personal Safety Advice:

Women traveling alone are especially vulnerable and should exercise caution, particularly at night. Victims, who are almost always unaccompanied, have been raped, robbed of personal property, or abducted and then held while their credit cards were used at various businesses and Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs).

US citizens should be very cautious in general when using ATMs in Mexico. If an ATM must be used, it should be accessed only during the business day at large protected facilities (preferably inside commercial establishments, rather than at glass-enclosed, highly visible ATMs on streets).

What you can bring into Mexico?

Under the FM-T, Mexico Visitor’s Permit, each person traveling to Mexico by land can bring the following items into Mexico duty free:

Gifts or other various items with a value of up to $75.00 duty-free, except for alcohol and tobacco products. Click here for duty free requirements from the Mexico Customs website.

What merchandise can you bring back across the border from Mexico?

Mexico Regulations:

Upon leaving Mexico you must pay a 15% tax on items purchased in excess of $300 US. The purchased items can be combined among family members, including children/minors.

If the value of the goods purchased is greater than $1000 per family member, after subtracting the $300 US exemption, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker.

Click here to learn more about Mexico Customs requirements.

US Regulations (remember these can change so click the link below for updates):

Every 30 days, US citizens who have been in Mexico for 48 hours or more are allowed to bring back $800 worth of duty-free merchandise. The purchased items can be combined among family members, including children/minors. (For example, a family of 3: two parents and one child can import up to $2,400 in duty free items.)

A flat rate duty must be paid on the next $1,000 worth of purchases

Any purchases above the flat rate duty amount must be paid at the duty rates for those items.

You are generally allowed to carry one liter of duty-free alcohol back into the United States for personal use.

Avoid paying duty on foreign-made personal items by registering them with US Customs before you go to Mexico. Take the items to the nearest Customs office and obtain, at no cost, a Certificate of Registration, which allows duty-free entry for the life of the item.

Border Crossing:

Getting across the border into or out of Mexico can take between 30 minutes and several hours. It is best to travel across the border on a weekday or early in the morning. Weekends and holidays are the worst times to cross the border. Click this link to get border crossing wait times and information on when borders are open, etc.

Firearms and Knives:

It is best not to carry even a pocketknife into Mexico as this can result in a weapons charge if a knife is found on a traveler who is arrested for a separate offense. Visitors driving across the border should ensure that their vehicles contain no firearms or ammunition. Mexico imposes harsh penalties for bringing as little as one bullet across its borders, including imprisonment.

Penalties for drug offenses:

The importation, purchase, possession or use of drugs can incur severe and strict penalties, including imprisonment without bail for up to a year before a case is tried. Convicted offenders can expect large fines, as well as jail sentences up to 25 years. Individuals 16 years of age or older are tried as adults.

Beach Warnings:

Warning flags on beaches should be taken seriously. Black or red flags mean DO NOT enter the water. Strong undertow and rough surf are common along beaches throughout Mexico, especially on the Pacific coast, and drownings have occurred when swimmers have been overwhelmed by conditions.

Taxis:

Use only the licensed and regulated "sitio" (SEE-tee-oh) taxis. Some illegitimate taxi drivers are, in fact, criminals in search of victims; users of these taxis have been robbed, kidnapped, and/or raped. Hotels, clubs and restaurants will summon a sitio taxi upon request.

I guess it's been a wile for me because my passport is in fact expired. Let's do some homework and see if they are truly enforcing this rule.

I am not going to mexico. Too much hassle.

Also - We are not going to do a BBQ but instead just go over to Rosa's and have some comida and cerveza.

I guess it's been a wile for me because my passport is in fact expired. Let's do some homework and see if they are truly enforcing this rule.
Trust me hombre, I just crossed back into Estados Unidos 2 weeks ago at Sonoita, Sonora, Mexico after spending a night in Puerto Penasco. You absolutely must, and no way around it, have a valid passport or smaller/less expensive passport card.

On Lukeville, AZ side of the border is a 5' x 10' sign that reads: "Beginning on June 1, 2009 all persons entering into Mexico by land vehicle must have a United States Passport or a Valid United States Passport Card!" Were handing out flyers, also!

On top of that, if your vehicle/moto's financed, you're required by Mexican Law to have notarized authorization from your financing company, BMW Financial Service, Harley-Davidson Financial, whatever, for permission to take a vehicle to Mexico!

Also - We are not going to do a BBQ but instead just go over to Rosa's and have some comida and cerveza.
You know, Juan; in a way it's a shame we can't take Fairlaner to Ensenada for fish and chips. The harbor restaurants do a great job of cooking up breaded fish and Mexican chefs do a great job con la papa. Limey probably would not call it "shite"!

You know, Juan; in a way it's a shame we can't take Fairlaner to Ensenada for fish and chips. The harbor restaurants do a great job of cooking up breaded fish and Mexican chefs do a great job con la papa. Limey probably would not call it "shite"!
But he calls everything shite. Haven't had fish n chips with him that wasn't shite.

ok guys Mexico is NOT going to happen, HERE is a link to an alternative route that Roy came up with...

Mexico = NO FUCKING WAY JOSE.

R