San Fran proposal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
Those of you who know me for a while will be pleased to hear that I am getting engaged. IF the ring is ready tomorrow (was supposed to be today)... I am considering flying up in the evening, renting an RT Saturday and popping the question during the day....probably slipping the ring on while riding and stopping several ten or so minutes later to pour my heart out. If it isn't socked in and if the traffic is not bad, I may put the ring on her finger while riding on the Golden Gate and then stop on a scenic vista to the north with bridge and city in background.

Considering a meal in Sausalito and generally heading inland for warmer weather as she chills easily. The plan is open but hotels will be scarce as it is LAbor Day weekend.

Advice? Suggestions? Routes (maybe hour and a half ride, one way)?

Thank you,

Malve

Fog not so bad this time of year. Typical early morning overcast, should be clear by noon. So plan your bridge proposal for the early afternoon and you'll be fine. If it were me I'd do the whole ring-and-speech up on Conzelman Road where the good views are. Don't want her proposal memory to include a bunch of noisy bridge traffic. Have your back to the bay so she'll be looking at you with the killer vista behind. Or maybe before you cross the bridge, go for a walk on Baker Beach...also very beautiful, bridge view, romantic as hell as long as you don't make it to the gay nude beach at the far north. :)

As for nice riding....so many options. I'd just head north on Hwy 1 and then turn east when you feel like it. But dude, it's a holiday weekend. Reservations! You don't want to find yourselves looking for a room at 11 PM and settling for a Motel 6 on your romantic weekend. Bodega Bay would be the best! Then, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Sonoma.... so many options.

Congrats on finding the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. You do, don't you? Don't forget to say that on one knee.

Congratulations. And here's a suggestion: Don't propose on the Golden Gate Bridge! There are some gorgeous overlooks just beyond the bridge on the Sausalito side. More romantic and MUCH safer. Just take the first exit past the bridge and look for signs for Marin Headlands--it's about 5 minutes off 101 at the most. You'll go back around under the freeway and start climbing.

And don't let her see this thread! :lol:

Malve,

I remember you from the ride up Mt. Evans in Colorado at N.A.F.O. Congratulations and good luck in your future.

1346362943[/url]' post='995854']Malve,

I remember you from the ride up Mt. Evans in Colorado at N.A.F.O. Congratulations and good luck in your future.
I rember you as well... The local with those great twisties in your back yard. Thank you and thanks everyone for tips so far...keep 'em coming.

A picnic at a winery in Napa would be nice setting to propose. Some have great views (Sterling Vineyard, Hess, Schramsbergs Caves, Ferrai Carrano), nice bottle of wine, relaxing. Women love that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
No place to stop on the bridge bro!! u will be arrested. coming south from the north side of the GGB, west side is all remodeled

and great vista views....

Malve, it's real nice when you find "The" one. I'm sure you've learned a lot from the last one. Good Luck! And I agree with SacMike about staying the hell off the bridge. Everything else sounds Great! I hope you live, happily ever after! :clapping:

Thanks everyone...just booked flight and hotel. Plan is to stay in city tomorrow night. Pick up bike in the am, head over bridge and up to scenic vistas to the North...up the coast a bit and then inland towards, Napa. Back to the city at night and explore SF mostly by foot Sunday. I have never ridden up there. What would be a great route that takes up the coast a bit and then in?

Thanks, so much everyone.

Thanks everyone...just booked flight and hotel. Plan is to stay in city tomorrow night. Pick up bike in the am, head over bridge and up to scenic vistas to the North...up the coast a bit and then inland towards, Napa. Back to the city at night and explore SF mostly by foot Sunday. I have never ridden up there. What would be a great route that takes up the coast a bit and then in?

Here ya go. Baker Beach to Baker Street, and twice over the Golden Gate. Follow the written directions to find the overlook at the north end. Then back on the fwy for a bit, some really awesome Hwy 1, then inland to Napa. Pass by Infineon Raceway, and take the fwy home. Ends at the Palace of Fine Arts. What could be more romantic? Google gives it 4.5 hrs, I say more like 6 or 7 if you're stopping and smelling the roses, and factoring in the weekend traffic. Toll on the bridge southbound only.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Baker+Beach,+San+Francisco,+CA&daddr=37.8281801,-122.4867318+to:38.0232039,-122.7743843+to:38.2568796,-122.8049309+to:38.3851523,-122.5948454+to:38.39796,-122.47323+to:Napa,+CA+to:37.8034649,-122.4469419+to:Exploratorium,+San+Francisco,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.792694,-122.442369&spn=0.042391,0.104628&sll=37.802604,-122.445073&sspn=0.005298,0.013078&geocode=FWOvQAIdXwuz-CETBhLOrXhfrym36wAa_YaFgDETBhLOrXhfrw%3BFVQ2QQIdNQCz-CkjNcpLKoSFgDEAb-BdqkKhdg%3BFSMwRAIdkJyu-CkZnSUYGMGFgDEvOkv405DseA%3BFe_ARwIdPiWu-CmBWDtxVcuFgDEzekih-2DpFw%3BFQC2SQId41mx-ClJdXGDOUyEgDE-mtqDDbvVYw%3BFQjoSQId8jSz-CnPkMUVCVOEgDERxKku1x6cqg%3BFdJ7SAId9921-Cnv3vL45_-EgDElx4QzOp9i1g%3BFcjVQAIdo5uz-CmtNlMy1YaFgDEe3sBQAJq45w%3BFajTQAIdJJaz-CHA8a-z-5sjCymTa-Xk1IaFgDHA8a-z-5sjCw&oq=explorator&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=17&via=1,2,3,4,5,7&t=m&z=14

Here ya go. Baker Beach to Baker Street, and twice over the Golden Gate. Follow the written directions to find the overlook at the north end. Then back on the fwy for a bit, some really awesome Hwy 1, then inland to Napa. Pass by Infineon Raceway, and take the fwy home. Ends at the Palace of Fine Arts. What could be more romantic? Google gives it 4.5 hrs, I say more like 6 or 7 if you're stopping and smelling the roses, and factoring in the weekend traffic. Toll on the bridge southbound only.

https://maps.google....,4,5,7&t=m&z=14

Jwhite...That is AWESOME...EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Meanwhile besides the main event...It will be interesting to ride the RT1200 and experience the difference. I hear those bike have cluthches. Shit, I don't remember how to use one of those. :)

Baker Beach

Baker-Beach_5325.jpg

Headlands view

65745918.jpg

Shoreline Highway

12473309-california-coast-highway-1-in-marin-county.jpg

Wine country

Yountville-mustard_9384.jpg

Palace of Fine Arts

20070409_0504-a.jpg