Schuberth & Parkers Perfect

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frito1

Reaction score
Before leaving work one day this week I decided to clean the face shield on my Schuberth C2 helmet. I grabbed a bottle of Parkers Perfect in an attempt to decrease the morning fogging. Instead of cleaning and adding anti fog protection, I ruined the shield. The Parkers Perfect stripped the coating from the shield a layer at a time. It made a helluva mess. I got it good enough to ride home, but the shield is toast. Looks like it's gonna be a $79 mistake. Odd, I've used the same cleaner on my Nolan full face for several years without issue and use the stuff on el-cheapo safety glasses on a daily basis. Just a friendly warning.

frito1,

Thanks for sharing the disturbing news, I'm sure it will save some others from a similar fate. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to contact the manufacturers and inform them of your experience, both Parkers and Schuberth. They might put appropriate warning labels on their respective products.

Bob

Knifemaker,

It depends on which Parkers Perfect he was using. Yes, there is a lemon oil furniture polish, but there are anti-fogging sprays and wipes by Parkers Perfect. Having read about the anti-fogging product, I can't imagine why it damaged the Schuberth visor. Sounds like pretty innocuous stuff for glass and plastic lenses.

Bob

A small section of the anit-fog coating on my C2 shield is also peeling away. It's right down at the bottom in the center of the shield, so if I'm not moving, I can exhale and see exactly the edges where is has come off. The shield and helmet are 5 years old, and I think maybe once I might have used the glass-cleaner stuff from my eye doctor. Other than that, I haven't used any chemicals on the inside or outside. Unless it peels more, I'm living with it.

This is what I was using. https://www.parkersperfect.com/intro_frameset.htm

We've been using it at the plant for several years and it works pretty good on safety glasses and such. I have used it on my 10 year old Nolan several times with no ill effects. When I put it on the Schuberth's shield it immediately clouded up and when I wiped it, part of the shield laminate crinkled up and came off. Since the shield was junked at that point I thought I would try to get the entire layer of laminate off. Subsequent applications just took off more layers. I finally washed it with soap & water. That seemed to stop the process and I ended up with a pock marked, eat up shield. This is a helmet I got with the bike and just recently started wearing. It's a damn nice lid, but I don't know if I'll spend the $79 to get a new shield or just buy a new helmet. When I first started wearing the C2 I

cleaned the shield with soap and water, then polished it up with AeroShell Flight Jacket. I shoulda stuck with what worked..... :angry2:

Latest posts