Sexiest Sportbike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
848 EVO, not an 1199 egos are similar.

Not to bad as a tourer. 250-300 mile days don't hurt..........................much.

DSCN0279.jpg

848 EVO, not an 1199 egos are similar.

Not to bad as a tourer. 250-300 mile days don't hurt..........................much.

DSCN0279.jpg
I do envy you Karl, for both your good looks and your bikes. :p

But you are definitely also a bit smaller in stature than this big dufus (meaning me). At 6'2" and 225 lbs (on a good day) there really isn't a Desmo bike that was designed for a guy of my, ahem... magnitude.

When I was younger, I could fold myself up that way, but not so much anymore now... the pain at the end of the day just isn't worth it. I have everything I can do to do a day on the VFR and that is a Cadillac compared to them there Eye-Talian bikes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
But you are definitely also a bit smaller in stature than this big dufus (meaning me). At 6'2" and 225 lbs (on a good day) there really isn't a Desmo bike that was designed for a guy of my, ahem... magnitude.
Please pause for a moment of silence as all of us short folks cry a river for Fred. Remember, it sucks being taller than 6 feet. :D

Please pause for a moment of silence as all of us short folks cry a river for Fred. Remember, it sucks being taller than 6 feet. :D
Yes, but we do look up to him. :rolleyes:

Actually Fred my knees appreciate the way the pegs on the 848 have a little set back vs the VFR, just enough to take some pressure off.

Fast? No doubt. But attractive?

Looks like Kawasaki stole their styling theme from the old Ferrari Testarossa. I didn't really find it all that appealing back then.

And they have carried that stuff into the Concours as well...
naw. they weren't that inspired.

try a Chrysler Crossfire

800px-Chrysler_Crossfire_coupe_black_NC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. I'd rather it actually. :p

I was just pointing out that we all have our "limitations". ;)

naw. they weren't that inspired.

try a Chrysler Crossfire

Oh my gawd, you're right! :eek:

So the Kawi designers are moonlighting at Chrysler? Or vise versa? :unsure:

Actually Fred my knees appreciate the way the pegs on the 848 have a little set back vs the VFR...
That reminds me Karl...I should have kicked you in the nuts for not offering me the VFR when you got rid of it for the Ducati. :D

2009Novemberride004.jpg

That was a hot little number...and would have been a nice intro for me into the sportier/leanier world of smaller bikes.

Actually Fred my knees appreciate the way the pegs on the 848 have a little set back vs the VFR...
That reminds me Karl...I should have kicked you in the nuts for not offering me the VFR when you got rid of it for the Ducati. :D

2009Novemberride004.jpg

That was a hot little number...and would have been a nice intro for me into the sportier/leanier world of smaller bikes.

OOPS!

The asphalt grey 848 is sure purty ...

and if I'm a fuddy-duddy so be it, but the FJR is pretty effin hot. And I think Stone Grey (damn foreign marketing departments misspelling shit) will look sweet matched with a 'Yamaha blue' armor jacket and black riding pants.

Mark, If you are looking to enter the Viffer world, hold out and find yourself a 5th gen, preferably a '98 or '99. Those are the best years. They have the gear driven cams, and are fuel injected, but before they added cats or O2 sensors. I still love how my '98 looks and its 15 years old! You'll also appreciate the loss of more than 100 lbs compared to the FJR.

100_2080.jpg

Oh yeah, and you can find these bikes (in primo condition) for only around $3k all day long. Truly a bargain.

Mark, If you are looking to enter the Viffer world, hold out and find yourself a 5th gen, preferably a '98 or '99. Those are the best years. They have the gear driven cams, and are fuel injected, but before they added cats or O2 sensors. I still love how my '98 looks and its 15 years old! You'll also appreciate the loss of more than 100 lbs compared to the FJR.
100_2080.jpg

Oh yeah, and you can find these bikes (in primo condition) for only around $3k all day long. Truly a bargain.
I'd like to point out the aftermarket seat though in that picture. Whoo boy, the stock Viffer seat makes the stock seat on an FJR seem like a barka lounger. Most of the Honda's I've ridden seem like a plank of wood with some vinyl stapled around it. Nothing that can't be fixed easily, but dang...who are they kidding? :D

I'd like to point out the aftermarket seat though in that picture. Whoo boy, the stock Viffer seat makes the stock seat on an FJR seem like a barka lounger. Most of the Honda's I've ridden seem like a plank of wood with some vinyl stapled around it. Nothing that can't be fixed easily, but dang...who are they kidding? :D
That picture was taken last year. I did like the Sargent seat, when I still had it. But now the bike is back to the stock seat.

I've ridden it full days that way many times and it really isn't all that bad (for me) as stock seats go. I personally thought the (1st gen) FJR seat was worse. That seat was too soft and squishy, eventually causing hot spots. The VFR's seat is firmer as you say, definitely good enough (for me at least) for day-rides.

Now that I think of it, the VFR I rode was a later year model, 07 perhaps. Whichever came in the anniversary colors. All I remember is that I couldn't wait to get back on my FZ1 and Sargent seat (and I didn't even like my sargent seat all that much).

100_2080.jpg

Thanks Fred. I think you just cost me some money. :D

Now, if only I knew someone who could find me one in primo condition....hmmmm.

Fred,

You mentioned the Gen V VFRs being the best...what Gens were the VTEC models? I've been a Honda (car) fan since the early 80s, but have never owned a Honda bike (?) I was always intrigued by the VTEC technology in the cars, but I never read anything good about the VTEC VFRs...lots and lots of complaints about power delivery.

Which Gens were the VTEC VFRs and was the VTEC that big an issue? (thinking about a ZRX replacement)

Oh, I'm a BIG guy (as you remember)...would the VFR be too claustrophobic for 6'4", 275lbs?