Shopping for Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a number of posts and reviews about replacement seats for the FJR-2013 (mine's a 2017), which were helpful in terms of learning about brands.

But I still don't understand one key thing about shopping for a new seat: how do you try out the different brands ahead of time to decide which one you want to go with? Lots of people point out that seats are idiosyncratic -- everybody's butt and riding style is different :) -- which makes sense. But unless you can try out different brands, what do you do? Keep buying ones until you find the right fit? I don't know of any gear store large enough in my area (San Francisco/San Jose) to offer a good selection of choices to try sitting on.

Not trying to be snarky here. I'd really appreciate thoughts on how to shop for a replacement seat. Thanx!

- Mark

The ending first: Get a Russell Day Long.

Otherwise, I did what you talked about with a seat pad first and it helped a tiny bit. I tried a Rick Mayer custom, it was better yet, but sent it back twice, and it never got to be what I needed. Then I got a Russell and all was well.

You can sit on other seats, but it isn't until after a hundred miles or tank of gas that you get a true sense of whether it's going to work or not.

And you're lucky! Russell is near you. You could go in for a custom fitting.

I'm happy with my Laam custom seat as an alternative to Russell. Both of these are true "custom" seats. These are not "off the shelf" aftermarket seat but rather are a set built to your specs based on a stock seat pan. Seth Laam has done my seat twice now. First back in 2013 then more recently in 2023 after I sent the first one back to him for a refresh after over 140k miles when the cover had developed a small tear. He actually offered to recover it with no other repairs but I felt it could stand to be freshened up so I had him completely go over it and make it new.

I've ridden on Corbin, Saddleman, and some other smaller names I can't even recall and while they can all be a slight improvement over stock they're no match for a true custom seat.

Do you know any other riders in your area? These seats are interchangeable. Maybe you can borrow one. I once loaned my Russell day-long to someone all day at one of the Rueben Runs. I was stuck with a stock saddle for a day. That was a painful experience. But they got to try a custom saddle. I don't know if they tried any of the Laams or Corbins that were also there.

I went down the same road as Bounce with the same conclusion. So far I’ve made 73000 miles on my Russell. I’ve only read one post that was a negative on a Russell….and I think it was probably a troll. Another thing about Russell is they will tell you when you will get your seat and that is what happens…..no waiting past the promised delivery date…no excuses, no BS.

I second finding others in your area with different seats to try out. I tried Russell Day long, hated it, then sold it. Then like a fool tried one again, again hated it, and again sold it. They suck for me. I prefer flatter. Keep in mind I was fine with the stock seat for some 60K miles before ever considering anything else. Also, I am NOT a tank-to-tank rider. I prefer to get off my ass once in a while.

I second finding others in your area with different seats to try out. I tried Russell Day long, hated it, then sold it. Then like a fool tried one again, again hated it, and again sold it. They suck for me. I prefer flatter. Keep in mind I was fine with the stock seat for some 60K miles before ever considering anything else. Also, I am NOT a tank-to-tank rider. I prefer to get off my ass once in a while.

Were they 2nd hand? Did you get them resized for you if so?

Were they 2nd hand? Did you get them resized for you if so?
They were second hand, both built for a person of comparable weight and height. I just found them very uncomfortable. A Sargent and Yammy Comfort are more to my liking tho I used a Corbin for a long time too.

You need to decide if you are the tractor shaped couch cushion type or if you like something that allows you to treat the fjr as a sport bike and actually move your rear around. For me, I went from the stock seat to a Sargent. The Sargent was a mid tractor seat and hard like a rock. Stock was better. Then went to a Yamaha comfort seat. Stock shape and pretty comfortable. Then I went to a seat concepts seat kit. Best of all worlds for me. Comfortable but can still move on the mid tractor shaped. But you can't go by me, I find a stock Ducati seat to be 600 mile a day comfortable.
For me, an rdl on the FJR for the way I ride - no way. May as well sit in my truck.

So, no magic answer - try stuff out and decide for yourself.

Also in your area is the Corbin factory. You can make an appointment and ride in for the build. The one butt on their seat is it can only be used in the low position of the bike so if you are a tall guy then probably not.

My short legs needed a low seat. 31" inseam. I like Corbin but I also like a stiffer seat. I'm 6' and 290lbs. So the seat will adapt to me or the frame of the bike will bend :LOL:

They were second hand, both built for a person of comparable weight and height. I just found them very uncomfortable. A Sargent and Yammy Comfort are more to my liking tho I used a Corbin for a long time too.

The Corbin is the giveaway. I had a Sgt and found it far too hard. Same with Corbins. Corbins are love it hate it design that seems to leave no one in the middle of like/dislike. They expect you to adapt to it instead of the other way around. ;)

I’ve had Russell Day Long saddles on three bikes and loved every one. Wish they were less expensive, but amortized over 140,000 miles on the 2005 FJR alone, it comes out to pennies per mile for superb long-distance comfort. They’re not called “day long” seats for no reason!

It's not just the height of the seat but the width as well. If you can find a slightly narrower seat, you'll find you can reach the ground more easily.

A Sargent was 'too hard?' Never been my experience. I love the comfort they offer. I love Sargent seats. They fit me to a T. I've had them on virtually every bike I've owned going back to the early 80's. If you wait until the holidays, they normally offer a great sale price

A Sargent was 'too hard?' Never been my experience. I love the comfort they offer. I love Sargent seats. They fit me to a T. I've had them on virtually every bike I've owned going back to the early 80's. If you wait until the holidays, they normally offer a great sale price
Like a seat pan with no cushion.

I've had a Laam and a RDL on my 2016. The RDL has a sweet spot that is "perfect". The Laam is slightly better if you don't stay in one spot. If you move around in a La-Z-Boy, get the Laam. If you don't, get the RDL.

If you were in San Antonio, I'd let you borrow my RDL for a day or two.

I've read a number of posts and reviews about replacement seats for the FJR-2013 (mine's a 2017), which were helpful in terms of learning about brands.

But I still don't understand one key thing about shopping for a new seat: how do you try out the different brands ahead of time to decide which one you want to go with? Lots of people point out that seats are idiosyncratic -- everybody's butt and riding style is different :) -- which makes sense. But unless you can try out different brands, what do you do? Keep buying ones until you find the right fit? I don't know of any gear store large enough in my area (San Francisco/San Jose) to offer a good selection of choices to try sitting on.

Not trying to be snarky here. I'd really appreciate thoughts on how to shop for a replacement seat. Thanx!

- Mark