steering head sockets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too received mine, and executed transaction completion.

Thanks, JustRoy...

Now, just need to go to Sears and pick up a 36mm socket to make it all come together.

I'm a FNG here, don't post very often but I did run across this thread. I wouldn't have bothered to post except I have to throw some support behind the OP for what he's doing after I saw he was taking some flak. I've been a toolmaker for over 25 years and I also have some "less than efficient" machine tools in the garage I make prototypes with. I know how time consuming cutting these on a manual machine is, I made my last socket like this for my ZRX. I also know how many extra steps you take to make somehting nice to meet expectations for others, done it a few times on other boards.

So if you think that what he's charging (under 30$ IIRC) for this piece is too much you should really try making it yourself to find out how "easy" it really is. Sure there's CNC machinery that will drop this out in a 3 minute cycle time but nobody with a VMC is offering one of these now are they? The price really isn't out of line and if he's done a nice job (some people seem to think so) then cut the poor boy some slack rather than critique him unless you can/will do better for less.

A steering head socket is a great tool to have and seems like he did a nice enough job. I'd order one if I didn't have the means to make one myself.

Not trying to stir the pot, sorry if it seems so. Just wanted to weigh in with my professional opinion on the matter.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

Ganbatte

hmmmmm I went back quite a few threads and couldnt find anyone giving Roy a hard time for his excellant craftsmanship?? I do however agree with everything else you said.

Roy ~I'm glad you haven't let one "nay-sayer" bring you down!

Your offer concerning donations for Annette's replacement gear is more than generous. Good for you.

Looking forward to receiving my new tool. Can't have enough tools, eh?

Thanks for your efforts.

Don

Hmmm.....after reading when I'm sober I think it must have been only one person (unamed) and he was dealt with by the other membes of the board. I really should know better but I'm guilty of PWI. Sorry for the needless chatter. I'll go sit in the back of the room now.

Your offer concerning donations for Annette's replacement gear is more than generous. Good for you.

Thanks for your efforts.

Don

Hmmm.....after reading when I'm sober I think it must have been only one person (unamed) and he was dealt with by the other membes of the board. I really should know better but I'm guilty of PWI. Sorry for the needless chatter. I'll go sit in the back of the room now.
hahaha dont you hate when that happens!!! Very funny!

Thanks for your efforts.

Don

Know what? I appreciate the honesty! Keep posting, PWI or not, you are welcome here..

Thanks for your efforts.

Don

Know what? I appreciate the honesty! Keep posting, PWI or not, you are welcome here..

You folks are pretty nice to some FNG that rarely shows up, posts when he's half liquored up, and doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

As for honesty, that's usually what gets me in trouble to begin with so I keep a clamp on it.......until someone adds liquor anyway. My grandfather once told me "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up".

You seem like a good bunch-o-folks, thank you for overlooking my indiscretion.

I received Roy's tool a while back and was impressed with the quality. Just finally got to use it this past week to retorque the bolt due to a pronounced clunking. I was even more impressed at how well it worked and fit. Easiest retorquing of a steering head I've ever done. Thanks again, Roy for making these available.

Last edited by a moderator:
after an E-Mail from a retard stating that i was... charging an absurd amount of money for a piece of metal i was making in my garage...
Anyone with any time in a machine shop would know that e-mailer was a clueless asshat. As soon as I saw what you were doing, I jumped at the chance to buy one. When it came in I was amazed as how cheap you were selling them. I bought one of the factory-recommended spanners back early on. They're twice as expensive and half as nice.

Thanks for doing this and continuing in the face of stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one from JustRoy about 6-8 months ago. Wonderful piece of toolbox jewelry.

The bidding starts at $100.......or until he empties his inbox. :finger: